Author Topic: French Navy Saved America  (Read 917 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
French Navy Saved America
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2003, 11:46:02 PM »
I'm not asking you to like them.

But if you're asking for respect from them for our sacrifice in the WW's, I think you have to have the common courtesy to show them the same respect for their actions during our Revolution.

I don't care for them much right now and I'm not in favor of us invading Iraq at this time.

However, you won't see me "bashing", ie: denigrating them as cowards, etc.,  them either.

That's all I'm saying. You don't have to like them but I feel if we expect them to honor our sacrifice, we have to honor theirs.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2003, 01:22:31 AM »
Originally posted by AKIron
Sorry Toad, I have to disagree. When the French denied us the right to overfly their airspace when we attacked Kadafi they lost any warm feelings I had toward them then. Been downhill ever since.

On this point my position is balanced as :
*I allways support my governement (I'm a good citizen)
*It not allways smart to have a foreign country overfly your with live weapon (population density is high here you know)
*kicking Khadafi is a good idea
*when having a lot of citizen in muslim country is not idiot to think about their security.

This fact known what should have be my own decision ?
Yes or No ?
No because of last point and on a less extend because of point 2.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2003, 06:37:33 AM »
Originally posted by john9001
straffo
 i served my time in the US Marines in the 60's

So you know the price and have my respect.

But Why do you want any kid to risk to be killed when Sadam is far from being the most dangerous on this planet ?

And with the current embargo Iraq is slowly dying , will blow by itself if Sadam disapear ,a bit of patience is just enought.

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2003, 07:31:39 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
How can one keep score on this one Cave?

See Toad?

It's you, or some devil take possession of your keyboard?

Ready to next step?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2003, 08:19:11 AM »
Sorry, Naso. I can't do that; you'll have to do it  for yourself.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2003, 08:21:14 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
Sorry, Naso. I can't do that; you'll have to do it  for yourself.

:D

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2003, 08:42:18 AM »
The French navy did not save America. Unlike WW1 and WW2 when America saved France, all the French were doing was trying to spite the British.

They did not give a rats bellybutton about America. They were doing the same thing as their recent invitation to Mugabe to come to Paris is doing. Spiteing the British. And you can look back 500 years and see time and time again that is what do at any chance they can.

So forget the thought that the US owes a debt to the France. They do not and the sacrifice the Americans made in WW1 and WW2 is about a million times more significant that anything France ever did for the US.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2003, 08:52:10 AM »
Originally posted by Habu
So forget the thought that the US owes a debt to the France. They do not and the sacrifice the Americans made in WW1 and WW2 is about a million times more significant that anything France ever did for the US.

rotflmao :D

Fancy a D* measurement contest  ?

Offline Jack55

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2003, 08:57:37 AM »
The French King saved the American revolution.  The French people cut off his head.  Do we really owe them anything?

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2003, 08:59:48 AM »
Originally posted by straffo
On this point my position is balanced as :
*I allways support my governement (I'm a good citizen)
*It not allways smart to have a foreign country overfly your with live weapon (population density is high here you know)
*kicking Khadafi is a good idea
*when having a lot of citizen in muslim country is not idiot to think about their security.

This fact known what should have be my own decision ?
Yes or No ?
No because of last point and on a less extend because of point 2.

Your last point is the only one that's valid imo (though I'm not certain I understand what you mean) and the reason that your country declined.

It's a lot like the situation today. The US wants to aggressively eliminate the threat while France wants to takes advantage of the situation by denouncing our efforts. Maybe hoping to placate any would-be terrorists with an eye on France?
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2003, 09:19:34 AM »
That's what I mean Iron
(I know that my english is somewhat broke because I think in French first an then I translate... and even in French sometime I'm not undertood by other french neither :p)

And I don't think we will have an advantage in this conflict with USA.
We allready got bombed by muslim scum previously we will bombed in the future too...