Author Topic: Tank City , a must for each new map.  (Read 964 times)

Offline Lizard3

• Silver Member
Tank City , a must for each new map.
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2003, 08:16:59 PM »
I would suggest making the town buildings impervious to damage. First thing some people do is blast as many buildings as they can which totally porks the frames for me and I have a fairly beefy vid card.

Secondly, make 3 "de-spawn" points where you can land your tiger if you live. As it is there's no point in taking a perk vehicle in where your sure to loose your points.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2003, 09:38:06 PM »
Good post Sunking!

Couldn't agree more.  Need to have one good place on each map that can't be easily captured by air for tank battles.

The one in trinity is excellent IMO.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2003, 10:57:50 PM »
Originally posted by BGBMAW
Yes i am a big Fan of Tiger Town!!! Great fun...

NoBaddy..what u mean adjusted soem of the Peak passes?? higehr lower??  

I like them where they are..doesnt let so many ftrs/bomer s get in...

But i do trully love going afk in a 110g2..and coming back to shoot panzers in their bellybutton in the allys!!

Dam good time...

Forward Air Control spotting is dam fun for friendly GVs also..

Salute
BiGB
xoxo

Well, I did lower a few of the peaks (for cosmetic purposes). However, found a number of passes that were too low. Hell, found one just over 14k. Anyone climbin in after the update should have to climb to a minimum of 18.5k. So, folks want to fly buffs and goons in there should probably bring a lunch (meybe a good snack also :D).

NB

« Last Edit: February 27, 2003, 11:00:32 PM by NoBaddy »
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2003, 09:29:20 AM »
I'd like to see something like it added to Furball Island.  Add some clutter for the GVs in the middle of the island and with the proximity of the airfields that map would be a real hoot.

For the AKDesert Map, there could be a Tank City in each slice of pizza.

One of my favorite things to do in tank city is pop lots of smoke shells to give it that eerie, spooky ambiance.  Makes for a very nerve-racking experience.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2003, 09:32:01 AM by gofaster »

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2003, 09:33:40 AM »
Originally posted by TeeDog
I'm with you SunKing... Add it too all maps...and maybe add some more tanks as well.

Sherman Calliope would rock!

Offline GrimCO

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.GrimsReapers.com
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2003, 09:41:44 AM »
I've never liked driving GV's too much till I rolled into TigerTown. I've had an absolute blast in there and have found myself occasionally hanging out in there for hours at a time... LOL

It's great GV practice for one thing, and as was mentioned before, it's a blast to fly a plane in there and be a spotter for your team's GV's...

I like it! I like it!

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2003, 12:04:21 PM »
I too enjoy TankTown and I think the changes NoBaddy is implementing are just what is needed to make it perfect.  

However, after many battles there I have decided that in no way would I ever want to be part of a REAL tank crew in a real urban battle.  In real life, what tactics are used to keep from being instantly blown to bits by other tanks that sneek up behind you, or by tanks camping between buildings that catch you as you pass, or by unseen troops with shoulder launched missiles?  Or do modern tankers just stay clear of urban environments?  Or is there close communication between surrounding ground troops and the tanks so they know where the enemy is sneaking up on them.

If there are real life tactics, does anyone ever "wingman" with each other in tanks and apply those tactics in AH?

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2003, 12:24:44 PM »
Originally posted by 715
I too enjoy TankTown and I think the changes NoBaddy is implementing are just what is needed to make it perfect.  

However, after many battles there I have decided that in no way would I ever want to be part of a REAL tank crew in a real urban battle.  In real life, what tactics are used to keep from being instantly blown to bits by other tanks that sneek up behind you, or by tanks camping between buildings that catch you as you pass, or by unseen troops with shoulder launched missiles?  Or do modern tankers just stay clear of urban environments?  Or is there close communication between surrounding ground troops and the tanks so they know where the enemy is sneaking up on them.

If there are real life tactics, does anyone ever "wingman" with each other in tanks and apply those tactics in AH?

Dunno for sure. I believe armor would 'wing' with infantry in an urban battle field. I will ask a tanker friend to reply. :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2003, 01:11:55 PM »
NoBaddy..excellent work!

And 715...

infantry i ssupposewd to clear out anit-tank sldiers...

In AH..we use Air Control to spot for us..It works very well...

As long as the Tank crew knows what direction they are..it works well..I say..3 Panzers are rolling North of you..or there is a Flak behind the Factory on your rigth side..and such works very well,,,

Dam fun...Dam i alwasy want trinity up when i Log on!!

Salute
BiGB
xoxo

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2003, 01:08:47 AM »
Originally posted by 715

MOUT -- Military Operations on Urbanized Terrain; the military has done extensive work into establishing tactics for this. The Army FM 90-10 and the Marine Corps MCWP 3-35.3 are manuals on urban military operations.

The short answer is that it's a combined-arms operation; armor is extremely vulnerable in urban areas, where an enemy soldier with an effective anti-tank weapon can be only yards away and be completely hidden from the tank crew, and street intersections create fire lanes that a tank crew cannot in practice reconnoitre before passing through.

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2003, 01:21:13 AM »
Originally posted by Shiva
MOUT -- Military Operations on Urbanized Terrain; the military has done extensive work into establishing tactics for this. The Army FM 90-10 and the Marine Corps MCWP 3-35.3 are manuals on urban military operations.

The short answer is that it's a combined-arms operation; armor is extremely vulnerable in urban areas, where an enemy soldier with an effective anti-tank weapon can be only yards away and be completely hidden from the tank crew, and street intersections create fire lanes that a tank crew cannot in practice reconnoitre before passing through.

In other words in real life it's as hairy as it is in AH TankTown?  ;)

Thanks for the reply.

Offline GrimCO

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.GrimsReapers.com
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2003, 08:06:47 AM »
Hey there 715...

I'm one of those geeks who is addicted to the History Channel. I probably wouldn't mind if it was the only channel I got...LOL

But anyway, I was watching some specials on tank operations during WWII, and how they compare to today's machines and tactics...

There was some pretty chilling footage of urban tank battles during WWII, and all the tank crews they interviewed said the same thing: It's the worst possible place to be in a tank. They had footage of both Sherman tanks and Panzer tanks being obliterated as they crossed intersections while the enemy tanks hid behind buildings waiting for a shot. Towards the end of the war when the Allies gained air superiority over the Germans, they utilized P47's and P51's and forward air controllers or "spotters" to give away the position of the enemy tanks. They also used these aircraft to kill the enemy tanks with rockets and bombs.

The only actual examples they had of modern tanks in combat were during the Persian Gulf War. There weren't many urban tank battles because Iraq abandoned Kuwait City before our tanks and troops got there. The only urban tank skurmish that took place was in the city of Khafji in Saudi Arabia. However, it was decided that the Saudi Arabian Army should liberate their own city with the U.S. merely supporting with troops. Again, Iraq retreated to save their tanks.  In fact, the only tanks we lost there were do to friendly fire where our tanks were mistaken for the enemy's. However, they did mention that had we invaded Baghdad, or had Iraq not abandoned Kuwait City, we would have suffered some tank losses. The strategy they would have employed would be to push the enemy's armored infantry back into an urban environment where THEY are vulnerable and unable to retreat. Good old fashioned air strikes would then be used to reduce their armored capability before our soldiers and tanks rolled in. They seemed to feel any tanks we would lose in this situation would be mostly due to shoulder launched weapons, etc...

At any rate, it was pretty obvious from the interviews that they wanted to avoid tank to tank urban warfare at all costs. I guess we see why when we play a silly game like Aces High... LOL

Offline blkmgc

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2003, 08:22:55 AM »
Ok, smack me in the noggin and call me silly...but where is Tank town? have'nt found that one yet.

blkmgc
Debdenboys.comAdministrator

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2003, 09:44:12 AM »
Originally posted by blkmgc
Ok, smack me in the noggin and call me silly...but where is Tank town? have'nt found that one yet.

blkmgc

:D

In the center of Trinity.
NoBaddy (NB)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2003, 10:00:11 AM »
NB, Tank City was an overwhelmng success, right?

How about doing the same thing for Laz and I? How about "Furball City"? Give us a little "no GV zone" or at least a place where it's dang hard to get a GV into. Put the slower T&B fighters in there and ring it with mountains that make it hard to get buffs and late war aircraft in there.

Let's be fair here; I have no use whatsoever for GV's, but I'm glad these folks have their Tank City because they obviously enjoy it.

Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, isn't it?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!