Author Topic: "Exotic" Ordinance...?  (Read 576 times)

Offline Laika

• Zinc Member
"Exotic" Ordinance...?
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 1999, 10:17:00 AM »
Me 163 "SG 500 jagdfaust"

Five vertical mounted firing tubes each loaded with a 50mm shell to be fired in salvo. The system fired when a light cell was activated by the shadow of your target. The Komets just had to fly under the enemy bomber and the guns would fire automatically. This weapon shoot down a B17 during the war but was only used experimentally.

Wingman beware around this plane

laika-  

Bugjam

"Exotic" Ordinance...?
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 1999, 11:27:00 AM »

The Japanese were attacking the airfield itself and the planes were dropping landing loading and dropping again. Lots of great improvisation going on during the war

aawwww.... sounds like vulching  

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
"Exotic" Ordinance...?
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 1999, 10:07:00 PM »
My dad read me a story by a U.S.M.C. lieutenant in WWII.

It was about the Japanese Americans that served as translators for the U.S. Forces.

I want to say it was on Iwo. someplace with lots of caves.

About a platoon of Japanes Infantry was in a cave.  The Marines surrounded the cave, tossed in some pineapples, and bounced some rounds off the cave walls to startle the Japanese.

Then the Marines sent in the Japanese American Interpreter, to try and talk the Japanese out of the cave.

The Japanese promply shot him.

The Marrines rolled a few 55Gallon Drums of Gasoline into the cave, shooting them with their tommy guns, so they leaked quite a bit.

Then someone touched off a flame thrower.

Aparently most of the Japanese in the cave suffocated, they didn't burn, but the Fire sucked up all the oxygen.

Then the marines moved on to the next cave to repeat the process.

When the called for the interpreter, he started rolling the 55 Gallon drum of gasoline towards the cave.

He didn't see any point in trying to convince the Japanese to surrender.

------------------
"I could feel the 20MM Cannon impacting behind me so I made myself small behind the pilot armor" Charlie Bond AVG

kzcole

"Exotic" Ordinance...?
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 1999, 06:00:00 AM »
Mossie , with 57mm Molins .

Mmm , wheres them hun uboats  

------------------
kzcole
RNZAF

Thermo

"Exotic" Ordinance...?
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 1999, 01:04:00 AM »
Chuck Yeager in his auto-b a few years back described trying to set fuel tanks, (external stores) on fire w/0.50's...

JHL

DRAHN

"Exotic" Ordinance...?
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 1999, 12:28:00 PM »
No offense meant Windle, but if your clip and mine are the same, the hog dropping napalm with gear down, is dropping an auxillary drop tank filled napalm and a contact fuse. This particular engagement was on Pelilu(<spelling?) island of the Palau invasion. The ridge in question was known as Bloody Nose Ridge, and as far as I know still holds the record for the shortest bomb run to date, 1000 yards from take-off to target. This engagement took place I think in September, 1944, prior to the invasion of the Phillipines and for the support of.
DRAHN

Offline Windle

• Copper Member
"Exotic" Ordinance...?
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 1999, 02:47:00 PM »
That's the one DRAHN! So napalm was in use by early as September of 1944. That would give us almost a year worth of Napalm fun in the RPS.  

Whadaya think HTC? Would it be a viable option for the arena?

All we need to do now is figure out which aircraft deployed napalm during the war. Was the US the only armed force to utilize the stuff?

Pelelieu - I shoulda remembered that one  

------------------
Windle
*Future* Aces High VF-17 'Jolly Rogers' 8X

DRAHN

"Exotic" Ordinance...?
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 1999, 08:45:00 AM »
Thanks for the spelling correction Windle, for the life of me, I couldn't remember that.

On simulating napalm in the game, I'd think the hard part would be damage editing, I.E.
1. It didn't have a big bang, so no shock wave to contend with on collateral damage.
2. It did burn for a long, long time thus anything burnable would continue to take damage as long as it burned.
3. Unarmored targets would be nailed right off, like say AAA pit or a platoon of grunts, or maybe sheep. Enclosed and armored targets probably wouldn't inless the tanks and flak panzers run around with their hatches open, then look out!

I'm by far no expert on this, but it looks like there be could several problems to deal with right off, if your gonna make "realistic". It would be fun to have and maybe something to work on down the road.

I haven't heard or seen any evidence that anyone else but us used napalm in WWII, that's not to say they didn't. Can't imagine the Germans NOT using it on the Eastern front at the very least, had they known or thought of it tho. Heck maybe they did, just never saw any eveidence of it.

DRAHN