Author Topic: A Community Vote On The La-7  (Read 5739 times)

Offline TAILGUNNR

• Zinc Member
A Community Vote On The La-7
« Reply #120 on: March 04, 2003, 12:08:37 PM »
perk it!

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #121 on: March 04, 2003, 12:27:26 PM »
Mini D just published his "Plane Stats" for the last tour and the numbers surely don't lend itself to perking the La-7 or any of the others that have been mentioned in this thread.

The La-7 barely broke a 1 K/D ... Yes it shoots down alot of planes, but it is also getting shot down alot too. Those that say that it has tremendous survivability due to its uber speed, then explain the K/D for the last tour. If you say the pilots that fly the La-7, suck, then all you so-called "hot-shots" who call for it to be perked, should have no problem shooting down the La-7s so why the constant whine.

Those that call for it to be perked are afraid of it, and/or don't know how to fight it (fighting to the La-7s strengths).
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #122 on: March 04, 2003, 12:29:49 PM »
Originally posted by Pooh21
Its annoying mostly, but they can be dealt with, most of the annoying part comes when some skilless dweeb follows your shot-up ride home with his la7 to vulch you then die to ack 1 sec later.

Maybe perk the 3x20mm loadout and leave the 2x20 free as that cut the spray time by a couple of seconds.

Actually....with the 3 gun loadout you get 150 rpg for a total of 450 rnds. 2 gun loadout has 200 rpg for a total of 400 rnds. While the 3 gun setup does give you 50 more rnds, the firing time is actually shorter.

Elfie
Armageddon Pile-it

HiTech give us Mapalm
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #123 on: March 04, 2003, 12:38:34 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
In my opinion...

LA-7: 4 points
TYPHOON: 3 points
YAK9-U: 3 points
P-51D: 3 points
190D-9: 3 points
F4U-1D: 3 points
109G-10: 3 points
P-38L: 3 points
N1K2-J: 3 points
P-47D-30: 3 points

Perking these 10 planes would shift the MA into a mid/late 1943 environment.

The F4U-1, P-51B, La-5FN, and the P-47D11 will be the four fastest fighters at low alts at military power, and F4U-1, P-51B, LA-5, Fw190A-8 would be the four fastest on WEP.

There's a much bigger chance to see people using various fighters, which before, have been ignored by a lot of average pilots for the reason that they weren't fast or maneuverable enough against 1944~'45 planes.

The survivability of the P-47s will be vastly enhanced, and since some of the 'super ground attackers' with 2k payload + rockets, have been perked, it would truly live up to its name as a great and fast ground attacking fighter-bomber.

The ol' N1K2 fans will probably just move on to Spit9s anyway. We'll be seeing a bit less N1K2s, but more Spits.. but no special harm done here.

The P-51D fans would shift to the P-51B.. which has a little less ammo load, and weaker jabo capabilities. We'll definately see less whinings about 'cowardly runstangs' who come in at 20k to do a single bomb drop and run straight home after.

The F4U-1 corsair will also start to shine out, but it will of course, be limited in jabo capabilities, compared to the C-hog and the D-hog.

La-7 fans can comfortably ride the La-5FN, since it shares simular characteristics with the La-7, and is still among the fastest non-perked planes .. but the speed difference between other fighters will be a bit less than the La-7: meaning, it'd require some more careful flying, and also, people won't be whining about La-5FNs much.

Also, some planes which only a few people rode just for kicks, might come into real recognition: such as the Bf109G-2, Bf109G-6, Fw190A-5, Fw190A-8, C.205.. which will be vastly enhanced in survivability and versatility. More variety IMO, can be expected.

Also, some jabo planes which people neglected before, could become very appealing, since the planes that were very fast, and also carried huge bomb loads will be perked. Planes like the Mosquito and the Bf110G-2, Fw190F-8 might be able to get more usage as preferred jabo ride of choice. When the 10 planes are perked, the Mossie and the 110, F-8 can all be considered fast planes...

The 3~4 point perk price would also be adequate. It'd be a super cheap price for the 'experten' who amassed massive perks, and won't bother them from riding their favored rides... and also, it is not a very heavy burden for average/low-skilled pilots, too. Work a bit with other fighters, and they'll achieve 3~10 points easily in a single day. They'll get a chance to ride better planes soon.. and if they are shot down, it's not like losing 200 perks. Just barely enough price to control the numbers in the MA, IMO.

If those 10 fighters are perked, the planes people will use, will be at 310~336mph range at deck speeds, where many many previously neglected planes can be used. The one single problem is the P-38L, which doesn't have an earlier variant..

With my suggested perk setup, I think we can see more variety, less whining, and satisfy the people who want to fly fast monster planes(perks very low for the experts), people who want to fly planes they want without too much of a burden(low perks - not really too much of a burden), and also the people who want some plane numbers regulated(3 perks is not too high, but still needs some work for the vast majority of average/low-skilled  players who take up 80% of AH). Also, my suggestion will give some great expert jabo planes(Mossie, 110G-2, Fw190F-8) their role in the MA.. where currently they have no place at all, since almost every USAAF/USN plane can carry loads of rockets+2k load.

ps) also, the survivability of bombers will go up a lot more!

I like this idea, late war planes are perked, but the cost is kept low.

Elfie
Armageddon Pile-it

HiTech give us Napalm
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #124 on: March 04, 2003, 12:53:05 PM »
Originally posted by Elfie

Elfie
Armageddon Pile-it

HiTech give us Napalm

Except that the Typhoon IB is most certainly not a late war plane. If anything, it could be classified as an early war plane, entering squadron service in September of 1941!!!

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #125 on: March 04, 2003, 12:56:37 PM »
Originally posted by Elfie

Looks fun, you could change the name of the game then to "Spitfires High!"

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #126 on: March 04, 2003, 01:09:09 PM »
la7 sucks arse its only real strong point is climbing...but since the flyers keep it pretty low 90% of the time perking them is pointless...

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #127 on: March 04, 2003, 01:12:52 PM »
Originally posted by TimRas

This is not clear to me at all. The LA-7 has only the best deck speed. Above 7.5K 190D-9, 109G-10, P-51 are faster, above 12K Yak-9U and P-47 are also faster, above 23K Spit IX is faster. 109G-10 can outclimb it at any altitude, 109G-2 above 4K, 109F-4, D-9 and Spit V and IX above 7K, P-51 above 19K and even P-47 above 24K. The 109G-10 has better acceleration above 10K, D-9 has better speed retention above 10K. Fw's and F-4U's have better roll rates at any speed.

The weaknesses of the LA-7 are mediocre armament, limited ammo and bad visibility on your six.

The reason I state that the La-7 has clearly superior performance is because in the area that the action happens at (i.e. ~5k and down) the La-7 is faster than all planes, out accelerates all planes, and can either out-climb or out-turn any other plane.  The last statement may not be that clear (sorry lol), so I'll try to clarify it.  Against a P-51 at 5k, the La-7 will not out-turn it.  It can turn long enough to get the P-51 slow with the flaps out, then either take the fight vertical (where it does out-perform it), or run (and the P-51 won't catch it).  Against a 109-g10 the exact opposite is true- at 5k the La-7 will out-turn a 109G-10, and it can hold its own in the vertical should the 109 choose to take the fight that way, or it can run with impunity, since it out-accelerates the 109.  The Dora doesn't have a chance, the La-7 out-everythings it (out-turn, out-climb, out-accellerate (if thats a word), and out-run).  Typhoon is in a similar position to the P-51, the Yak is in a similar position to the 109.  Any other plane can't force the La-7 to fight even if it wanted to.  

Lets say you meet a La-7 at 15k and you are in a P-51.  All the La-7 has to do if he gets in a bad position is dive to 5k or so.  If the P-51 gets in a bad position... well, it is a lot harder to climb to 25k where your plane holds an advantage, especially when there is an enemy plane 500 yards behind you.

I'm not saying it is a super-plane or anything, it isn't an instant 'I win" button, but it does have superior performance to any non-perked plane in the game.  In fact, I'd rate it equal to the Tempest, except it only gets 3 cannon.

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
« Reply #128 on: March 04, 2003, 03:12:44 PM »
Tequilla, the comunity overuses the La7, like spits or n1k2. The result of a poll about perking any of them is more than clear: NO, dont perk our favorite rides.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #129 on: March 04, 2003, 04:17:09 PM »
Bah theres only two people who handle the La7 well, Shane and Kbman. The rest are piss easy to take down.

The la7 is not so uber if you know how to handle them. It has poor visibility, poor stability at high AoA with a tendency to snap roll, poor performance over 16k (it starts to drop at 7k), a single fuel tank which bleeds dry in 2 mins when hit, and numerous other weaknesses.

Offline BNshill

• Zinc Member
« Reply #130 on: March 04, 2003, 11:21:41 PM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
Bah theres only two people who handle the La7 well, Shane and Kbman. The rest are piss easy to take down.

The la7 is not so uber if you know how to handle them. It has poor visibility, poor stability at high AoA with a tendency to snap roll, poor performance over 16k (it starts to drop at 7k), a single fuel tank which bleeds dry in 2 mins when hit, and numerous other weaknesses.

:rolleyes:

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #131 on: March 04, 2003, 11:51:38 PM »
Originally posted by MANDOBLE
Tequilla, the comunity overuses the La7, like spits or n1k2. The result of a poll about perking any of them is more than clear: NO, dont perk our favorite rides.

Actually some of don't fly them, hate some of them (La-7, P-51D) and still don't think they should be perked.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #132 on: March 05, 2003, 04:04:38 AM »
Unperk everything.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #133 on: March 05, 2003, 04:19:48 AM »
Originally posted by Widewing
Except that the Typhoon IB is most certainly not a late war plane. If anything, it could be classified as an early war plane, entering squadron service in September of 1941!!!

My regards,

Widewing

sorry but I disagree we have a 1944 version look at the canopy and the 4 blade airscrew.

Offline Duedel

• Silver Member
« Reply #134 on: March 05, 2003, 05:21:02 AM »
What Urchin said