Author Topic: You want the ultimate rush? (not for treehuggers)  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Frogm4n

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
You want the ultimate rush? (not for treehuggers)
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2003, 02:53:34 AM »
a rush from that? try spear fishing with sharks buzzing around you. those can hurt you unlike that big rat.

Offline davidpt40

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2003, 02:56:15 AM »
I am a little disappointed in your choice of animals to hunt.  The deer population in the U.S. is basically out of control.  Coyotes and wolves, like domesticated dogs, are very intelligent animals.  Depending on whether that coyote was male or female, it could have pups that are starving to death.

The Grizzly bear in the U.S. has almost been hunted to extinction.  I think that less than 1000 grizzlies remain in the continental U.S.  The American Bison has started to make a comeback, but with the economy turning sour, ranchers are losing lots of money trying to raise bison herds.

One more point of interest.  Anyone here ever heard of the "bottleneck" effect?  Even if a certain species of animal makes a recovery from the brink of extinction, that certainly does not gurantee survival.  Cheetahs are so inbred, for example, that biologists predict that they will become extinct within 1000 years due to the lack of genetic diversity.  A disease could simply come along and kill every single cheetah.

We have alot to learn from animals.  There is a reason sharks never get cancer, perhaps we can figure it out one day (and translate this into a cancer treatment/cure).

Offline Frogm4n

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2003, 02:59:55 AM »
be quiet y0u dirty treehugger(definition:anyone with an iq over 100)!

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2003, 05:35:52 AM »
I was out deer hunting one time Miissippi, when I heard something running through the woods in my direction...I got ready.  Then I saw it was two large coyotes travelling together, and I shot one of them with my .270.

Reason I did it?  Because I always heard coyotes were destructive to the game.  It was an instinct shot.  Didn't think about it 'till later.  I felt like crap killing an animal just to be killing it.  It was a large coyote, about 4' from head to tail, and the most beautiful wild animal I'd ever seen.  Only one I ever shot, and the only one I ever will shoot.

I shot a beautiful large Bobcat in those same woods, about 3 years earlier with a .243.  Why?  When I was out deer hunting?

Boredom?

Need to kill something?

Impress my fellow hunters and friends?

A lot of people would think what I did was a service to the property.  I don't feel that way.  I feel those critters have more right to be in those woods than I do.  They live there all the time, and I'm the intruder.  There's probably not that many of them this far east.  I know the Black Bear is protected in these parts.

............................. ............................. ............................. ...................

I'm not a treehugger.  I understand how coyotes pose a problem out West, and shooting them is a humane method of control.  Also, there is a use for their fur, so it's not a complete waste.

I guess it's the way I was brought up in a hunting tradition from an early age to respect nature.  I learned from my Dad, my Uncle Clyde, and from my cousin Mike, who is part Indian.

I believe one of the most important decisions a man makes in his life, aside from marriage, is who he hunts with.  

Les

Offline davidpt40

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2003, 06:29:46 AM »
So what was the reason for sending a high velocity piece of lead through that Bobcats internal organs?

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2003, 07:01:42 AM »
I shot the Bobcat because everyone else would, anytime they got a chance to.  Most hunters I hunted with at the time, would have done the same thing...mainly with the idea of having a taxidery mount made of it.  The bobcat I shot was preserved in a freezer, so it could be used as a mount in the future.  I don't think this was ever done, however the idea was to use it as a mount:  Bobcat vs. Turkey.  What else could be done with it?

I admit it wasn't right to shoot it.  That's why I don't do it anymore.;)

Les

Offline Modas

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
Re: wtfg
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2003, 08:31:20 AM »
Originally posted by Golfer
The only good coyote is a dead coyote!  Coyotes kill more deer in the state of ohio than hunters do, by 10 fold.  If you see a coyote and have the means, speed him on his way.  a "sniper-esque" rifle is great and efficent for eliminating those little beasts, one of the best shots ive made is when still-hunting (wandering slowly through the woods, stalking) jumped a coyote from the opposite side of a thicket maybe 10 yards away.  I was very surprised i got that close to a coyote!  he jumped and took off in a rust colored blur and making like billy the kid drew my .44 magnum and dropped it in one shot.  Anyway, keep cleaning out the coyotes, way to go.

Feel free to send those Coyotes up to Wisconsin.  Our deer population is so out of control in southern wisconsin, it isn't even funny anymore.

Someone posted about killing the wrong animals.  Its exactly that.  We kill the one that don't need killing, and don't kill the ones that do.

Kinda like people... :D  

No one in here of course :)

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2003, 08:42:51 AM »
I got bored with hunting after a few years - loved shooting, but didnt get off on killing animals - just no fun in it for me.

However if the target animal is dangerous as well... THAT would be fun.  :D

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2003, 09:01:23 AM »
Coyote is the only animal I'd be willing to hunt.  I seriously doubt that it would be for exitement and I don't really think I'd be taking trophy pictures.

Have a dog get killed by them some time and see how cute and fuzzy there seem afterwards.  They are a true varmint and I could easily pull the trigger.

MiniD

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2003, 09:29:11 AM »
Funked.. you don't know what you're missing bro

hard to get hurt the last few days...
mid thigh deep powder makes one feel like superman on the slopes

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2003, 09:58:00 AM »
Used to live in the mountains of Southern California. Coyote packs filled the night with moans and wails and barks very often. They tended to leave the big dogs alone, but more than one friend lost a poodle or a cat.

I had a pretty big dog and a master escape artist. He often ran the mountain at night. I think he had a coyote girlfriend. :)

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2003, 10:00:19 AM »
If I was a dog, I'd do a coyote.

Offline -Concho-

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2003, 10:04:11 AM »
Coyotes kill sheep....

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2003, 10:10:02 AM »
And here I'm thinking they only liked Roadrunners....and Acme rockets..

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2003, 10:29:57 AM »
Originally posted by -tronski-
And here I'm thinking they only liked Roadrunners....and Acme rockets..

Tronsky

Is it just me, or does ACME quality seem horrific?
I would never buy their products.