Author Topic: Ok, Brady ... (F4U whined out of CT)  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Ok, Brady ... (F4U whined out of CT)
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2003, 10:24:53 AM »
It got a whole 10% of the kills against the A6M2. It was used by perhaps 10% of the Allied players ... at most. The Tony was being used the same way. Of course ... when this was brought up (after the F4U-1 lockdown) ... it, too, was locked ... eventually. Neither one was a significant player. Neither one was a significant threat. Someone got shot down, whined and it started a domino effect.

Eskimo ... what were the Tony stats?  :)

Originally posted by najdorf
Ferrying an F4U-1 up half the map is ridiculous and against what was intended in the set-up.  People abused it and it was removed.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2003, 11:10:12 AM by Arlo »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2003, 10:33:21 AM »
 Ahem ....

Gee, thanks, Shane .... that fixes everything and makes it all work! No .. wait .... ;)

Originally posted by Shane
here's a free clue for ya arlo as to why the ships have been taken out of play (seeing as how you're a noob to the CT and all an dmight not have been around the last time the slot was run) - the bug being referred to is that the ships are *not* where you see them, so you can have a perfect bomb run on what you *think* is a ship, but is actually empty water.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2003, 10:36:52 AM by Arlo »

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2003, 11:16:38 AM »
Originally posted by Arlo
Ahem ....

Gee, thanks, Shane .... that fixes everything and makes it all work! No .. wait .... ;)

CT staff can't fix it, only HT can...

it's *code* not *setting.*

comprendes?

of course it'd be a moot issue if people kept cv's from parking right off the coast.

Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2003, 11:25:51 AM »
Quit whining about CV parking ya shore shellin' bum. All I said is the trend in Guadalcanal is to cut it to the bone until there's nothing but F4F-4s and Zekes with more map than is needed to support the static fight between a30 and a40. I don't care if it's a bug in the code or an over-reaction to whines from one, the other or both sides. That's the trend. Personally, I don't think it's a good one. Others may disagree (I'm sure some do) ;)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2003, 11:36:21 AM »
If this is really Guadalcanal '42, then we should note that the first F4U-1 combat didn't occur until February 1943.   So perhaps the Corsair has no place in this setting anyway.   Even if the Japanese had the A6M3, I doubt it would make much difference.  A 44 to 8 kill ratio against the A6M2 suggests more than a few pilots who know how to fly the Corsair to its strengths against A6Ms.

Brady referrs to the plane as the F4U-1a, which is confusing me.   As far as I know, AH only has the F4U-1, the F4U-1C, F4U-1D, and F4U-4.   The -1a would look similiar to the F4U-1D in canopy (non-birdcage bubble) I think.

Arlo, I don't think the CT could survive 'reset' mentality.   The CT  population is generally in the precarious 20-40 range, and if one side becomes overwhelmingly strong and pushes the other side down into a corner and pounds away until the map is reset, the CT would lose would little population it has.    I appreciate the CT team actively managing the arena to prevent that from happening.    

That said, a little bit of base capture give and take with a more dynamic front line might be nice.   For as big as the map is, I've only seen fighting around 1 base...A40.    If the Allies had a base on New Georgia, I think we'd see more fighting in different areas.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2003, 12:14:45 PM »
The first USMC unit to equip with the F4U was VMF-124, which was declared operational on 28 December 1942. VMF-124 was quickly deployed to Guadalcanal, where it flew its first combat mission, also the first of the F4U, on 11 February 1943. Fighting over Guadalcanal was intense. The first air-to-air combat took place on the 14th, when a mixed force of P-38s, P-40s, PB4Ys and F4Us lost ten aircraft to the Japanese, and claimed four A6M "Zero" fighters

ripped off from some corsair sight, i think vought's...

so depending on when this setup is supposedly happening.... there's an argument that the hogs should not be present at all.

the p40's should be tho'.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline DblTrubl

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2003, 12:39:27 PM »
The problem with the fleets last night was that downtimes were only 10 minutes and they didn't respawn near a port if you sank them. I manned the CA guns and sank every cruiser in 2 enemy fleets near A30 and by the time I could get a zeke to 5k the CAs were popping right back up again. So, there were at least 3 basically indestructable fleets all in the A30-A40 area clogging everything up and covering everyone that went over 3k in a blanket of ack. Flying in the fleet ack got really old after a couple hours.

And yes, I am one of those "tards" who was flying a Ki-61 3 sectors to the fight. The 13th Sentai is an IJA squad and if there are IJA planes available in a setup I am more than likely going to fly them. Personally, I really don't see what all the fuss is about. I thought the original planeset was fine. Most fighting was F4F vs. A6M with the occasional ki, hog, or P-40 and country #s were more or less even over the time I was on(several hours). The setup seemed to be playing out as intended imo, except for the fleet issue. All day I only saw two corsairs and 3 P-40s and I only noticed one person other than myself flying a Ki. None of them seemed overused to me, but thats just my opinion.

Brady,   for your hard work.  Set it up however you want...I'll still fly it  :D

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2003, 12:43:38 PM »
Yesterday (friday) I flew one sorties in the F4U-1. I started at A32 and flew up the Slot to A37 then down to A41. At A41 I got two kills. I then returned to A32. Fuel was 100% plus ext. tanks. (ALL FLIGHTS) 45 min sortie if not longer.

Second sortie was the long one. I departed A32 and flew to A37,
landed and refueled. Departed A37 and flew north of A40 to 10,11.1. then south just out of con radar. Altitude 30k. Splash #1 and 2. Turned and headed for A40, splash #3. Climbed back to 20k and headed for A37. A37 got bizy while I tried to land and refuel, splash #3,4 and 5. I landed, refueled, departed, unloaded ext tanks and caped A37...splash,#6 and 7. Low on fuel and tired I proceeded to A5 where I landed and exited my airplane for an overnight stay. I was tired. 7 kill buffer message
1.5 hour sortie, three landings, seven kills.

Saturday I basicly did the same thing and landed 3 or 4 kill sortie.

Total: Three sorties, four take-off and landings, 12 or 13 victories, no deaths, no bails, no ditches

My point being the time it took me to acomplish this task. After flying 30 min to a fight, its not the time to just enter an overwelming furball and die in two seconds. All that time, I only know of two other F4U flyers, my wingman, two Checkertails on few flight legs. I was alone sever times. I RTBed ALONE.

Misuse of available weapons DOES NOT STOP WITH THE F4U.

If you want an A6M2 vs F4F map, then so be it, DISABLE EVERY DAMN THING ELSE!

HAWK OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2003, 01:16:16 PM »
I'm not sayin' Brady ain't workin' hard. Hell .. he may be workin' too hard. I think he had a lapse in judgement. I know I did in my reaction. Others think Brady's actions were totally justified. There is support and opposition of how adjustments are being made to the Slot on both sides. (Is the regen time for the fleets not a setting that can be increased?)

Never-the-less .... I've nothing but respect and admiration for the 13th Sentai and their positive attitude (as well as their dedication and skill flying what is available for the IJ forces in AH). Even if your opinion opposed mine, I know you guys would still make the most of the situation and exhibit great character in the process.

Until (if) HT fills in the gaps in the IJ planeset, how would you like to get together and "thinktank" an acceptable mid-late war Pacific CT setup that evens out the playing field a bit and allows the F4U-1 fans like me to fly our bird (whether skillfully or not)? ;)

Originally posted by DblTrubl

Brady,   for your hard work.  Set it up however you want...I'll still fly it  :D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2003, 01:19:18 PM by Arlo »

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2003, 01:50:30 PM »
There is one other decent PTO setup - Phillippines or Mindanao, 1943-44.

I think it has N1K2, Ki61, A6M5b, D3A, B5N, and Ki.67 vs F4F, F6F, F4U-1, TBM, SBD, and possibly P-38L and P-47D-11, not sure any more.    B-26 might've been there as well as a stand in for B-25.

Always liked to see that one - good battles between VF-27 and the old 27th Sentai.

Kudos to the 13th Sentai.  Since AH2 has precluded further plane intros to the current AH, there has never been a less hopeful time for quick relief to the large gaps in the Japanese planeset.   The 13th sets the standard in persistence, determination, and optimism, and deserve whatever help and support we can muster.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2003, 01:54:06 PM »
Nice. I'd like to see one that involves the current map (or a similar one that's a tad bit larger - I know, I know ... submit one). A "Battle of the Solomans/Rabaul" theme.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2003, 03:13:11 PM »
GUYS: DON'T BE LOOKING A GIFTED HORSE IN THE MOUTH.[/color]

I'd like to point out to you all who think we're trying to wreck the current setup, like myself, Brady is a VOLUNTEER.  

VOLUNTEER
v. intr.
- To perform or offer to perform a service of one's own free will.
- To do charitable or helpful work without pay.
It is not fair for any of you to complain about a valid decision citing we're doing a bad job at running the CT.  Think about the fact we're doing this out of our own good will.

Brady made a decision, and it's his setup. Sure, bring in your concerns, but remember he's doing this on his own personal time.

Thought you all needed a reminder. Back to your regular scheduled programming. :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2003, 03:15:28 PM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2003, 04:14:59 PM »
Originally posted by oboe
Re Eskimo's reply - I didn't realize the Japanese were taking a pounding.   I thought it was more even than that.
CYa!

I didn't either,
I would have guessed that the Zero was doing better.  Although personally, I'm doing better in the F4F than the Zero, kills made with the Zero seem much easier.  I'm less cautious in the Zeke and am more likely to enter a fight at worse odds, or against higher foes, and often with a bit of confidence.

In the F4F, however, I try to stay away from Zero's that are at greater alt/E.  I watch the high guys like a gopher watches a hawk, and I make sure that I hav my nice little gopher hole (3-5 K, to dive away and run) to hop into should one get into a strike zone.  In the Wildcat, low and slow VS just one Zero, and your as good as dead.

eskimo

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2003, 04:29:24 PM »
Originally posted by Arlo
Eskimo ... what were the Tony stats?  :)

F4F Vs KI-61 K/D ... 7/32
F4U-1 Vs KI-61 K/D ... 0/2
P-40E Vs KI-61 K/D ... 2/0

I think a big factor is that anything that you spend so much time bringing to the fight, you are naturally going to be very careful with.  So far; F4U's, KI's and P-40's are not being vulched, flying bad-odds/E base defence, and generally being flown recklessly.

Certainly these are the better planes and have huge advantages against the enemies basic fighter, which also factors into why they are so valuable and worth flying cautiously in the first place.

eskimo