Author Topic: What can we say about this picture?  (Read 2276 times)

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
What can we say about this picture?
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2003, 03:12:19 PM »
Have I ever attacked anyone's wife? That's what we are talking about here.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2003, 03:15:37 PM »
Originally posted by Dowding
72 virgins is an urban myth.

Yeager - that looks nothing like her.

Are you saying that it's a myth that many Muslims believe it or that what many Muslims believe is a myth? It is still taught and believed by many Muslims that martyrs will receive this reward.

An excerpt from here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/saturday_review/story/0,3605,631332,00.html

The same hadith is also quoted by Ibn Kathir (died 1373 CE ) in his Koranic commentary (Tafsir) of Surah Al-Rahman (55), verse 72: "The Prophet Muhammad was heard saying: 'The smallest reward for the people of paradise is an abode where there are 80,000 servants and 72 wives, over which stands a dome decorated with pearls, aquamarine, and ruby, as wide as the distance from Al-Jabiyyah [a Damascus suburb] to Sana'a [Yemen]'."
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2003, 03:15:45 PM »
Have I ever attacked anyone's wife? That's what we are talking about here.

No, you were just hijacking the thread for your own sick way of thinking...(And thks to those who sent me over 30 emails of support during that fiasco for "about time you stuck it to him like he has to you for years")

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2003, 03:17:38 PM »
Oed - no problem. Ironically, Ripsnort usually rattles on about shaking veteran's hands on Veteran's Day and getting all misty eyed.

If he had any respect, he would keep his doubts to himself, just in case he was completely wrong.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2003, 03:24:38 PM »
Oed - no problem. Ironically, Ripsnort usually rattles on about shaking veteran's hands on Veteran's Day and getting all misty eyed.

If he had any respect, he would keep his doubts to himself, just in case he was completely wrong.

I shake any man in uniforms hand...just did today at lunch, and wished the young gentleman 'Good luck, and there are those like I who support you at home".

Now, here Dowding, have a big cup of ....bah, you bloody young college boys at worth a cup. ;)

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2003, 03:24:51 PM »
I'm not sure how many Muslims believe it. I'm pretty sure it's not a key tenet of Islam, but then the fundamentalists are bound to take it completely literally.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2003, 03:25:47 PM »
Shut up old man. ;)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2003, 03:26:42 PM »
Thank you! I equate "old" with "Smarter than your brain-washed ass" :D

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2003, 03:29:00 PM »
I don't know what that means, but once I'm an octogenarian like yourself I'll surely find out. ;)

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2003, 03:37:07 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
Are you saying that it's a myth that many Muslims believe it or that what many Muslims believe is a myth? It is still taught and believed by many Muslims that martyrs will receive this reward.

An excerpt from here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/saturday_review/story/0,3605,631332,00.html

The same hadith is also quoted by Ibn Kathir (died 1373 CE ) in his Koranic commentary (Tafsir) of Surah Al-Rahman (55), verse 72: "The Prophet Muhammad was heard saying: 'The smallest reward for the people of paradise is an abode where there are 80,000 servants and 72 wives, over which stands a dome decorated with pearls, aquamarine, and ruby, as wide as the distance from Al-Jabiyyah [a Damascus suburb] to Sana'a [Yemen]'."

You answered your own question in this reply (in the quoted part ).

How come you've missed it ?????

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2003, 03:38:12 PM »
They don't have control of the water in the region, Turkey does.

It flows down into Iraq from Turkey.

But you are right we could just poison their water supply, much cheaper than carpet bombing..

wonder why we don't do that? After all we don't care about their civilians.

Originally posted by Oedipus
"why don't we? "

Because they want something. What that is I'm not sure. I don't think it's oil at all. And I have seen speculation that control of the water in the region will wield far more power than crude. As I said elsewhere. We'll find out 40-50 years from now.
Oed
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2003, 04:08:27 PM »
Originally posted by straffo
You answered your own question in this reply (in the quoted part ).

How come you've missed it ?????

I musta missed it again Straffo. Dowding said the 72 virgins was an urban myth. By that I thought (but didn't know) that he meant the west had created the myth about what the Muslims believe. However,  he could also have meant that the 72 virgins are an "urban myth" believed by the Muslims. Just wanted clarification before refuting his rather uninformed claim.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2003, 04:12:02 PM »
Originally posted by GScholz
Shame on you people that laugh and joke about a woman being crushed under a bulldozer. What was she guilty of? Protesting? Well so was this guy, and even the Klingon'ish Chinese didn't crush him. Shame on you sick diddlyers!

I had a friend that wrote a computer game for the Atari ST when that occurred. In the game you manuvered tanks around the square and gained points by squashing demonstrators. Needless to say it wasn't marketed and I refused to play it, well maybe just the once. ;)

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2003, 04:17:07 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
I musta missed it again Straffo. Dowding said the 72 virgins was an urban myth. By that I thought (but didn't know) that he meant the west had created the myth about what the Muslims believe. However,  he could also have meant that the 72 virgins are an "urban myth" believed by the Muslims. Just wanted clarification before refuting his rather uninformed claim.

The 72 virgin were created by some interpreter of the Coran and are not in the Coran as the article pointed.

My muslim friend think this is pure roadkill and a weird and twisted interpretation of Mahomet word.

There is many interpretation of Mahomet word exactly like there is many interpretation of Jesus word ...

For exemple it's like confusing a Calvinist interpretation with a Catholic roman interpretation .

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2003, 04:35:51 PM »
Originally posted by straffo
The 72 virgin were created by some interpreter of the Coran and are not in the Coran as the article pointed.

My muslim friend think this is pure roadkill and a weird and twisted interpretation of Mahomet word.

There is many interpretation of Mahomet word exactly like there is many interpretation of Jesus word ...

For exemple it's like confusing a Calvinist interpretation with a Catholic roman interpretation .

No argument from me as to whether it's a distortion. Only matters if folks believe it, and I think many do.