Author Topic: Need help from 109Gx experten!  (Read 3528 times)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Need help from 109Gx experten!
« on: March 19, 2003, 07:01:34 AM »
I'm getting better with the various 109Gx planes - usually the 109G2 or 109G10. The weaknesses seem to be the "compression" that occurs at high speed, and lacklustre elevator response at any speed (makes getting guns solution difficult). So I focus on its strengths: Excellent climb rate and E retention in zooms. These traits make it a great stealth aircraft - fly at speed, and when a bogie zooms up to rebounce his quarry, the 109Gx can follow him up and catch him at or near the top of his zoom. Most of my kills come like that - an example film is attached. (I had to clip the film to the bare minimum to make it fit on the BBS)

As a 1-v-1 plane, it's not so good. I had two excellent encounters with TAK in his 190D9 the other day, and whereas the 109G10 was able to maintain an alt advantage, and catch up to the Dora, there was no way for me to follow it in a hard break turn. The Dora is faster, and I was having to go flat out to catch it, so the elevator was unresponsive to say the least at the moment the Dora made its break turn. All I could do was zoom up, then give chase once again. I did try anticipating the break turn, and got quite close, but still not enough elev. authority to finish the job.

I'm not asking for advice here. That is always forthcoming in threads like this. ;) What I want instead is your 109Gx films like the one I have attached here. I see some of you getting 6,7 - even 10 kills in a sortie. I would like to see how you did it. I never have enough ammo for that many kills, even with the gondolas. I've seen CRESCENT get 7 - and mention that because he's the target in my 109G2 film.
Send me your films via email.

Offline wipass

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.secestimating.com
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2003, 07:14:57 AM »
I get an invalid or old film file error,

I am using an old version of AH though, perhaps that's it

My viewer is version 1 patch 2

wipass

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2003, 07:37:05 AM »
It's all in the trimming Beet1e ;)

The 109 doesen't have a compression problem, the controls just get very heavy at high-speeds. At 400+ mph I almost fly by trimming alone.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline oaktree

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2003, 07:46:30 AM »
Like Gscholz said it's in the trim.I use manual trimming and the compression problem isn't so bad.I like to pull lead using manual trim,as it can give you that lil extra you need for the shot.
Dobe

Offline DoctorYO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2003, 07:55:11 AM »
First thing i would do is work on high yoyo turns....   When any enemy breaks nose low you should hard wire yourself to always high yoyo then lag pursuit to follow him...  This way your maintaining advantage by remaining on his 6 while misering your e state...  This method is superior to the immelman then re-engage becuase it keeps the heat on the enemy and is less passive.

His only options are to bleed e and try to hard nose turn at you... (head on) or slow down and try to force a overshoot...

The g series has one of the best rudders in the game...  Use it a a brake when someone trys to force a overshoot.  with a little throttle adjusment you can saddle on anyone. anyplane out there wih exception of the zeke spit5 hurricane etc....( can even saddle on those too just not as long.)  

Then you use the acceleration to run them down....

Practice your spiral climbs until its second nature...  also map your trim to a hat switch or keycombinations...  trim is necessary when your plane goes over 400 ias....

Dont take gondolas....   (I prefer the 1 20mm 2 mg's) 109f4

Gondolas will neuter your plane...  The basic gun package is plenty...

Enjoy the tips....

DoctorYo

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2003, 08:11:00 AM »
"Franz" it is! Best fighter IMHO. Just love that lil' thing.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2003, 08:19:06 AM »
The Messerschmitt 109 was the Luftwaffe's standard fighter throughout WWII, and the production of the Bf 109 was larger than that of any other fighter. It was a quite revolutionary design, the smallest aircraft that could be built around a powerful engine. The 109-E "Emil" was one of the best fighters in the world, on a par with the Spitfire. The 109-F "Friedrich" was the best dogfighter of all the 109s. Friedrich was the main fighter type of the Luftwaffe when the German army attacked the Soviet Union in the summer of 1941. The 109-G "Gustav" was the most heavily produced varient of the 109 series, inparticular more 109-G6s were produced then any other. Wartime development tried to make the plane a more suitable bomber interceptor. This largely failed due to the small size of the airframe. Instead of a sleek and maneuverable interceptor the plane became known as "The Flying Blister" due to all the modifications done on the airframe. The K was the last series-produced model.

All 109's, regardless of version, share numerous traits:
  • Excellent climb rate
  • Good rudder response
  • Excellent performance between 12 and 22k
  • Above average low speed handling
  • Good negative-G handling
  • Good Acceleration
  • Below Average visibility from the cockpit
  • Not particularly "new pilot friendly"
  • Moderate to low ammunition supply
  • Heavy Controls above 640km/h
  • Mediocre durability

All 109s are best flown as Energy fighters - using its high climb rate to dictate the engagement. Normal Boom & Zoom tactics with very high speed passes do not suit the 109's style. It is better suited to the style of energy combat where the main objective is to set up a moderate altitude advantage right over or near the target. Then use short sprint dives with moderate closure rates for gun passes. The 109 can then climb back out and loop or climb away as necessary.

The 109g6 and g2 are really effective if you have a wingman

Loose Duece

With "Loose Duece" style of fighting one fighter is attacking the enemy. He attempts to maneuver for a shot, or to bleed the enemy's energy, or force him into a disadvantageous position. The other pilot stays above and covers the attacker. If the attacker overshoots or extends the other pilot can then dive in and engage. In the mean time the originally attacker takes position above. The idea is usually for only one plane to be committed at one time; the other, keeping position above , is there to ensure the SA for the entire pair and to watch the 6 of the engaged pilot so he concentrate his full attention on killing the enemy. The planes continue alternating positions until the enemy is killed or the overall tactical situation changes. Its important that the pilot above make the call as to when to disengage. He has a clearer picture of the situation and the attacker must trust his judgement. Communication between the pair are important. The attacker should let the other pilot know when he plans to disengage so that the perched pilot can take up the attack. Timing needs to be correct so the enemy doesnt have time to recover. Keeping the pressure on is important to get a quick kill. Prolonged dogfights can turn bad quickly.

Double Attack

Double Attack is a derivative of Loose Deuce. The pair still will switch rolls when necessary but the other pilot is more actively involved in the attack, not just waiting on the perch until the engaged pilot calls him down. This approach demands very close contact, and communication is very important. We will fly mostly Loose Deuce but will utilize the Double Attack for situations where we are reasonably sure that we have time to get the kill.

With Double Attack each member will have to be able handle his responsibilities and understand when to switch. It is important to keep SA not just for the enemy but for each other. You dont want to killshooter youself or your wingman. When setting up a Double Attack in a 2 vs.1 its best to "bracket" the enemy. The two fighters split slightly away from each other in order to get on either side of the enemy. This way what ever way the enemy breaks one of the pair can saddle up. The idea here is for the pair to keep their energy state up and pressure of the enemy. If the enemy is making wild evasives the pilot attacking doesnt need to bleed energy to stay on his 6. He can break off and reposition while the other pilot takes up the attack. This type of attack doesnt allow the pair to maintain the greatest SA. So its important not to enter into a double attack unless you are reasonably sure the area is clear.

Heres a Double attack film

http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/films/Double%20Attack.zip

If end up flying on trim the whole time then you arent flying a 109 right. Theres no need to high speed BnZ style dives. Coming in 2 or 3 k above the frey and picking out a target then using a short sprint dive to gain closure is what you want to do.

Use the 109s rudder to aid in getting a gun solution on breaking enemy. Use your climb to reposition if you miss, (yo yo wing over etc.) The thing about e fighting is you are trying to "trick the other guy into bleeding out his e by maintaining your own.

In the main with 500 folks its highly unlikely that you would want to get into a pro longed dogfight. You need to learn to hit what you fire at. If you have wingman you can tag team him by switching on and off.

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2003, 08:20:06 AM »
There was no Franz, the 109f was Fritz,,,, ie Friedrich.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2003, 08:34:13 AM »
Check you sources Batz, the F was called both Franz and Frederick, depending on unit.

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2003, 09:30:20 AM »
Franz was on the backseat of the Ju87s, Emil was the pilot. Therefore the german term "verfranzen" (getting lost - failing to do navigation). It was always blamed on Franz ;)

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2003, 10:05:01 AM »
lol!

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2003, 10:06:59 AM »
ccvi is right as am I

so check your "wrong" sources again then throw them away.

109F F = Fritz

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2003, 10:13:17 AM »
Check under nicknames ...

http://www.bf109.com/evolution.html

I just love this little thing ...

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2003, 10:23:37 AM »
its still wrong Franz has been used post war by folks who didnt know the difference.

Fritz ie  Friedrich are correct.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2003, 10:26:04 AM »
Please post your source.