Author Topic: Bombers  (Read 323 times)

Offline Donpost

• Zinc Member
Bombers
« on: March 27, 2003, 01:38:47 PM »
Hi, could someone answer me this without turning this thread into a debate on the bombsight:

What useful things can bombers do in AH? I cant think of anything they can do that cannot be achieved just as well if not better by other veichles.

I love flying bombers but since recently coming back to AH im lost as to what to do with them, :confused:

Any response would be greatly appreciated :)

Mike (donpost)

PS does anyone know any good divebombing tutorials? im rubbish!

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Bombers
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2003, 01:52:59 PM »
buffs can drop strategic targets quicker than fighters (factories,  city etc) not that this contributes much...

buffs can kill enemy fleets quicker as well  (without suiciding)

buffs can also be used to pork strats at multiple enemy fields in one run (fuel, ord, barracks etc)

SKurj

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
Bombers
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2003, 02:28:34 PM »
Using a bomber formation, one player can drop 42,000 lb of ordnance on a target at great range. Consider how many fighter-bombers you'd need to equal that.

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
Bombers
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2003, 03:08:48 PM »
Probably the most important target that bombers are actually effective against are TOWNS.    TOWNS are often somewhat ignored by friendly fighters (who want to vulch the nearby enemy base instead), so being able to level one with a single plane is a good ability to have.

When flying a bomber for town-busting, I prefer to take one of the Medium bombers and not climb very high....a B-17 or LANC carries more ordnance, but they're so slow that they take too long to reach the target to be worth it.  In particular, the A-20 and B-26 are both pretty good for town-busting.  Both of these planes have pilot-operated guns, which can be important for destroying town buildings or acks which the bomb drop missed.  The B-26 can also take a formation, which may be important to you.

J_A_B

Offline Donpost

• Zinc Member
Bombers
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2003, 04:21:59 AM »
Ah, thank you, J_A_b, I didn't think of that one.

*climbs in B-26...*

see ya!

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Bombers
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2003, 09:32:37 AM »
A 20 rules

Doesn't have formation of 3 but frankly, doesn't need it.

Its a one man town buster with ammo left over for vulching the field.