Author Topic: Please tell me why we at War??  (Read 2885 times)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Please tell me why we at War??
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2003, 10:54:32 PM »
Wel... it just serves to illustrate that the entire "with us or against us" policy is rather short sighted.
sand

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2003, 10:55:12 PM »
not through my glasses.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2003, 10:55:54 PM »
The Iraq ----> Al Q argument is right out the door. A non-starter.

Freeing an oppressed people from tyranny? Please.

Some people really got sold a bill of goods if the above has now become the basis of their reasoning. I saw a poll a while back where some ridiculously high percentage of the US population actually thinks Iraq was responsible for 9/11. Hijackers and all.

Sheesh.

A pre-emptive unilateral attack has got to be about the WMD and the threat posed by Iraq to the US. That's all. And that's justification enough.

.... if it's indeed true.

But... I think even that is only a part of the picture. I think it's naive to say it's about blood for oil. I also think it's naive to say it has nothing to do with blood for oil. If that makes any sense...

Ah well... Lotsa reasons have been tossed out there to pick from. Whatever makes ya comfortable.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2003, 10:56:50 PM »

Convenient assumption, eh?

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2003, 11:00:29 PM »
Originally posted by Nash

Freeing an oppressed people from tyranny? Please.

Some people really got sold a bill of goods if the above has now become the basis of their reasoning. I saw a poll a while back where some ridiculously high percentage of the US population actually thinks Iraq was responsible for 9/11. Hijackers and all.

Sheesh.

A pre-emptive unilateral attack has got to be about the WMD and the threat posed by Iraq to the US. That's all. And that's justification enough.

.... if it's indeed true.

But... I think even that is only a part of the picture. I think it's naive to say it's about blood for oil. I also think it's naive to say it has nothing to do with blood for oil. If that makes any sense...

Ah well... Lotsa reasons have been tossed out there to pick from. Whatever makes ya comfortable.

You have managed to discredit both sides of the argument without providing a reason, let alone and facts or information.  You should try out for the Weazel debate team.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2003, 11:03:31 PM »
Martlet he didn't say chimpy once.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2003, 11:04:43 PM »
Wel... it just serves to illustrate that the entire "with us or against us" policy is rather short sighted.

and thats more 'in 1980 he was your pal' bullcrap.

park that line sandy. it don't fly the kite.

it IS with or against us RIGHT now. not in 1980. or 1999. it's NOW.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2003, 11:32:47 PM »
I thought the Kurds were at odds with the pro AQ faction up north.

Also have seen reports by the Brits saying AQ was fighting alongside the Iraqi irregulars.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2003, 11:55:59 PM »
Oh I'd agree that there are a lot of "convenient assumptions" floating around with regard to the Al Q connection. But whose? Assumptions only cease to be assumptions when they're backed up by evidence, and I haven't seen much in that department. Hangtime himself said the "connection of iraq to AQ remains tenuous."

So whether or not the connection turns out to be true doesn't matter in the context of my reply to bashwolf. At this point we don't know for sure... therefore for this to become the de facto reason for invading Iraq doesn't wash.  

Or are you going to tell me that the reason Iraq is being attacked is because the Al Q attacked you? I don't think so. And I don't think Hangtime would argue that this war is the result of tenous connections to the Al Q. Bush has even stopped saying it.

That's why I scratched it off the list. It's but one more allegation in a grab bag of 'em for you to choose from. And if the Al Q connection is enough for you to conclude that it's the reason there's a war with Iraq, well like I said... whatever you're comfortable with.

Again... WMD such that it poses a threat to your national security is a pretty compelling reason. Dunno why ya need more.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2003, 11:58:13 PM »
We don't.

But they most certainly better find them in a clear, open, internationally documented way.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Erlkonig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2003, 12:05:36 AM »
Originally posted by funkedup
Convenient assumption, eh?

We do know that the conservative "think-tank" Project for a New American Century sent a letter to WJC in 1998 urging him to initiate regime change in Iraq.  The letter talks mostly about the failure of containment and the threat of Saddam having weapons of mass destruction.  It does not talk at all about terrorism or AQ.  This letter was signed by Rumsfeld (SecDef), Wolfowitz (Dep. SecDef), and Perle (the guy who just resigned from the Defense Policy Board) - if it had been signed by Cheney (and Rice too?) it would include the most influential hawks in the current administration.  It seems to me they intended to remove Saddam irregardless of any connection to AQ, and tried to cook up "intelligence" to get public support for the war.

Offline lord dolf vader

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2003, 12:49:33 AM »
"Also have seen reports by the Brits saying AQ was fighting alongside the Iraqi irregulars."

yeager

cite please, and not http://www.rush.com

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2003, 12:55:02 AM »
Originally posted by lord dolf vader
cite please, and not http://www.rush.com

Great site!  wow, they lookin old huh?
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
      • Military Surplus Collectors Forums
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2003, 06:05:11 AM »
Originally posted by bashwolf

For me ... it's simple...[/url]

Regards,
Badger

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2003, 06:16:14 AM »
The regime under Saddam is unimaginable especially for us free people.

Now Iraq might be happy coz of a fast handling trigger happy idiot like bush.

Well at least something happens now and the jobs getting done.
And Iraqy people will be free again. This is not the only but the best reason to invade.

It costs a lot of lives but the iraqy people where already death under the regime of Saddam.

I hope the job is finished soon.

to the USA and GB