Author Topic: Friday The 4th  (Read 4360 times)

Offline Okugi

• Zinc Member
Friday The 4th
« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2003, 06:17:05 AM »
Ya know what? I did a little experiment earlier... flew both sides. I like to squeak about the A6M2, but it might not be as bad as I first thought. Yes, The fact that the cannons are porked in the M2 zeke is bullsh*t, but at the same time, the way this setup is right now makes for an easier jap game. The P-40B is a poor plane period... it works well if you b 'n z and forget fighting, but as soon as you turn you're dead. The zekes will just turn away and that's that. I did spend the perkies for a couple wildcats too... I still think it's armor is overmodeled, but it's not as "uber" as I first thought... it can be beat. Really, this setup is starting to get really stale, some other PTO needs to share the rotation, but I can't squeak too much unless I make a map and settings for something else. And this one has shown me that I do actually have some patience left in this life, lol.

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Friday The 4th
« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2003, 05:18:10 PM »
even when those planes are enabled, you still can't fly them.

....aint that the truth... :(

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Friday The 4th
« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2003, 06:00:39 PM »
Of course, the question is, seeing how we're all volunteers here, (Brady, Sabre, Jarbo and myself), and we ARE doing this on our own FREE time, it's hard enought to do a setup with limited plane sets but at the same time trying to make it interesting and fair.  Cut Brady some slack.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 06:10:14 PM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Friday The 4th
« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2003, 07:20:18 PM »
Originally posted by Mister Fork
Of course, the question is, seeing how we're all volunteers here, (Brady, Sabre, Jarbo and myself), and we ARE doing this on our own FREE time, it's hard enought to do a setup with limited plane sets but at the same time trying to make it interesting and fair.  Cut Brady some slack.

Agreed.
We draw lessons from each of these CT setups.
And each of them lasts for only a week.
Thanks, Brady and the rest of you guys.

- oldman

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Friday The 4th
« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2003, 07:59:58 PM »
Everyone knows this, Fork. Paid accounts, free time sacrificed. But there's still some responsibility that goes along with the authority.

All of us pay to play. Many of us sacrifice free time to one degree or another for our squadies, friends or even the entire community. When the keys to an arena are handed over by HT and co.,however, I'm sure there is a trust involved.

A trust that the person CM'ing the arena won't allow prejudices of any kind color their decisions.

A trust that the person CM'ing won't make rash decisions that only take a small part of the picture into consideration without endevouring to see if there are wider-ranging consequences.

A trust that personal goals and agendas will be set aside in deference to the goal of maintaining a scenario atmosphere that is enjoyable for both sides.

Basically, a trust that the CM won't use the arena as their own personal sandbox. Because when that happens it hurts the CT and it hurts the game.

I'm not saying CMs aren't human or that CMs can't afford to make mistakes. I'm saying that either ignoring recurring requests from players or showing deference to a select group, time and again, even if the CM believes in their heart that they are right and everyone else is wrong ... is a bad trait/habit that HTC can't afford - even when the CM is paying to play and sacrificing his free time to make sure "everyone" enjoys the CT.

*ShruG* Just sayin'.

Originally posted by Mister Fork
« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 08:13:24 PM by Arlo »

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Friday The 4th
« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2003, 11:07:10 PM »
Arlo,

I believe the achient chinese proverb goes... "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

We can't please everyone all at the same times and from time to time it will feel like we're avoiding doing certain setups.  And to see people offer complains rather than constructive feedback, it's wears on the spirit and it's a tough pill to swallow.

Point is, we're trying hard to do our jobs and when someone attacks our setup, we take it personally.  Part of our passion for our work.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Friday The 4th
« Reply #126 on: April 09, 2003, 05:59:19 AM »
Ok .. constructive feedback:

The slot map is one of the most beautiful ones out there. It has great potential not just for a `42 setup but for later ones as well. I would like to see one with later warplanes in it. Realizing the IJ plane setup has gaps in it yet also realizing it has the N1K2 included, I wouldn't mind seeing a possible "alternate reality" setup where the N1K2 is in greater supply and available earlier to the IJ player. This should more than balance the playing field. Furthermore, I wouldn't include all the models of the F4U (certainly I would leave the perk points on the perked ones as is if they are included). Include the George and A6M5 and Peggy in the mix. I don't think there's really a need for the "Be88y" unless the Allied side includes the B-26 (in lieu of the B-25).

Since fleets tend to be used for shore assaults (and I'm not entirely convinced that this wasn't the intention of HT and Pyro all along) ... perhaps the key to balance in that regard is the addition of shore batteries to all bases .... maybe two per. That would at least make the fleet captains acutely aware of the need to hurry and get the job done. I'm not sure if HT and co would be willing to reduce the fleet ack lethality ... or if it can be practically done without porking other things on the map, but asking for that may be an option too.

If things get technically porked, as tend to happen on new maps and set-ups from time to time, I would suggest a ready list of suitable replacement planes and thier deployment be discussed, agreed upon and posted for additional feedback by all.

P.S. I don't actually think "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" applies when it comes to the management and control of the resources of a paid service, be it through employees or volunteers, although I could have been more diplomatic. If constructive and positive feedback is requested, I understand. Such feedback is only really productive if it's given honestly and taken without prejudice. Giving due consideration to such feedback would go a long way to keeping it positive.

Thank you and
« Last Edit: April 09, 2003, 06:12:11 AM by Arlo »