Author Topic: Hmmm Do I Just Suck?  (Read 912 times)

Offline DVDA

• Copper Member
Hmmm Do I Just Suck?
« on: May 07, 2003, 11:54:44 PM »
I played AW3 for years but i cant seem to get the basic flying concepts of AH, turns are hard, loops i cant do....is there any training manual out there? or movies lessons i can download?

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Hmmm Do I Just Suck?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2003, 12:15:27 AM »
there's a fairly steep adjustment period, but stick it out and you'll find it's pretty much the same as aw was, especially if you flew FR... even then i think AW FR was slightly harder than AH was... i almost never stall/spin now, uncontrolled anyway....

the biggest difference is truly the gunnery. the moves and timing is about the same as AW was... just takes time to adjust to.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Cooley

• Silver Member
Hmmm Do I Just Suck?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2003, 02:11:32 AM »
I agree about the gunnery!

I find myself able to do ACM pretty well for newbie,,and SA seems to be gettin good, but gunnery is awfull!

Seems like i do better if i use main trigger to fire both,,but i dont want to keymap it that way,,cause i jabo alot,,,Im using MSPP2 twisty,and find myself getting unwanted rudder input when linin shot up, and i have deadband at about 40%

gettin better each day tho,,,thats what makes it fun
Cooleyof 367th

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Hmmm Do I Just Suck?
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2003, 06:17:22 AM »
Originally posted by Cooley
Im using MSPP2 twisty,and find myself getting unwanted rudder input when linin shot up, and i have deadband at about 40%

crank up the deadband to about 65% and the damper to about 75% for rudder input, that way it'll have to be a conscious effort for rudder input.  i use ms ffb2 which is basically the same stick.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Hmmm Do I Just Suck?
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2003, 06:25:46 AM »
Funny, I use an FF2 as well and leave rudder deadband as small as possible.  I like the exact control to swing the nose where I like in order to shoot off specific parts.....up close anyway.

Shane what settings do you have to cure nose bounce and general over-sensitivity?  

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Hmmm Do I Just Suck?
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2003, 09:30:19 AM »
Originally posted by Swoop
Funny, I use an FF2 as well and leave rudder deadband as small as possible.  Shane what settings do you have to cure nose bounce and general over-sensitivity?  

if this place still supported attachments, i'd post a screenie. if you want i can send you my stick.cfg file and you can try it for yourself. but if so, make sure to backup/copy/move your current file to a safe place so u can restore your settings easy.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Re: Hmmm Do I Just Suck?
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2003, 09:42:19 AM »
Originally posted by DVDA
I played AW3 for years but i cant seem to get the basic flying concepts of AH, turns are hard, loops i cant do....is there any training manual out there? or movies lessons i can download?

http://www.netaces.org for some good info and advice on how to work the game.

For turning, looping, and basic aerobatics, try an aerobatic aircraft such as the Spitfire V, N1K2, FM2, Hurricane Mk2, or one of the Zeros.  When I fly the Spitfire IX (which has slightly less turning ability that the Spitfire V model), I prefer the 2 Hispano + 2 .50cal load-out since those rounds have almost the same ballistics.

My biggest adjustment when switching from AW, AW2, and AW3 was the bullet ballistics at ranges beyond 300.  The .50 cal shell has the truest flight, with the Hispano cannon round about as accurate.  The other guns will suffer some drop-off.  In fact, I think the netaces.org page did a test using targets to determine which settings work best for the most-often-used gun packages.

Offline Dralex

• Zinc Member
Hmmm Do I Just Suck?
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2003, 10:21:19 AM »
Funny, I use an FF2 as well and leave rudder deadband as small as possible.  I like the exact control to swing the nose where I like in order to shoot off specific parts.....up close anyway.

Shane what settings do you have to cure nose bounce and general over-sensitivity?  

I have a same BIG problem with my  M$ FF2. For 1/2 year I was playing not with opponents, but with my Joy and sliders in setup. Main prob - nouse bounce and no sens to fly without enabled "stall limiter" option in setup/fly.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Hmmm Do I Just Suck?
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2003, 01:19:59 PM »
Originally posted by Shane
if this place still supported attachments, i'd post a screenie. if you want i can send you my stick.cfg file and you can try it for yourself. but if so, make sure to backup/copy/move your current file to a safe place so u can restore your settings easy.

Yes please!

raf1swoop@yahoo.co.uk

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Hmmm Do I Just Suck?
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2003, 01:23:18 PM »
Originally posted by Dralex
I have a same BIG problem with my  M$ FF2. For 1/2 year I was playing not with opponents, but with my Joy and sliders in setup. Main prob - nouse bounce and no sens to fly without enabled "stall limiter" option in setup/fly.

Until the con when I got to try other people's setups I just thought it was the way the sim flew.  Over the last 3 years I've just gotton used to being real careful with the stick, the last thing anyone could accuse me of is being hamfisted.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Hmmm Do I Just Suck?
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2003, 01:41:14 PM »
Yes please!

sent.

Offline Cooley

• Silver Member
Hmmm Do I Just Suck?
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2003, 03:44:03 PM »
Me also if ya have time shane,,thanks!

cools367@yahoo.com
Cooleyof 367th

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
Hmmm Do I Just Suck?
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2003, 03:47:55 PM »
Here is my rudder..Been using it for about a year and a half..

Offline acetnt

• Zinc Member
Hmmm Do I Just Suck?
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2003, 04:46:51 PM »
Hello Wldthing,

That is quite fine if you have pedals - like I do now. But if you had a twisty sticky like MSPP2 you would have a lot of problems hitting a target ....unless of course he doesn't realise you're back there and is flying dead straight. Before I had the pedals I had to use the dead band to improve my accuracy

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Hmmm Do I Just Suck?
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2003, 05:12:42 PM »
hey WT, looking at that picture, one of the axis needs a slight increase in deadband to get it flatlined... you can see the "dirty input" with those tiny spikes.