Author Topic: Suiciding the CV en masse! -film, and <S> FrankB and AKPanthr  (Read 1947 times)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
There have been many suggestions of late to tweak this, harden that, perk the other... -all suggestions designed to favour one particular style of AH gameplay - usually that of the author of the thread in which the suggestion was posted. :rolleyes:

Well I have some views of my own!  I find that suicide runs to the CV can be quite exasperating. :mad: Don't get me wrong - there's nothing wrong with a side attacking a CV which threatens one of their bases. The real rub is the suicidal, one-way-ticket nature of these attempts.

I have always loved carrier ops, so last night went to the defence of the Bish CV that had dropped anchor perilously close to an enemy base! :eek: If I hadn't had my hands full, I'd have moved it myself. There were about three of us in planes, defending against wave after wave after wave of suicide B17/ju88/LANC formations. We killed them all - most of the CV guns were manned. So then there was a respite before the onslught resumed, and it came down to the usual AH1 scenario - the numerical supremacy smashdown. :( No real skills involved, just numbers.

The real issue is the re-uppage factor. Some guys made 3,4 or maybe more attempts. With gameplay like that, the outcome is inevitable.

I filmed the whole thing, and you can view my film. My question is: Should this gaminess be addressed in AH1, or do we wait for AH2? What other changes would you suggest? I make none here.

Click here to get the film.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Suiciding the CV en masse! -film, and <S> FrankB and AKPanthr
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2003, 07:58:32 AM »
That's what passes for the Sacred Strat.

I'd think you' be proud of the way the enemy "team" all worked together to remove the Strategic Threat of the CV from the immediate location of their base. All those players, pulling together to achieve a common strategic goal!

And you don't like it. I'm saddened. I thought this was what you were always espousing. Team play, common strategic goals, never give up attitude.

PS: The fight is the thing. All else is just rubbish.

:D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2003, 08:06:59 AM »
The term "hoisted by his own petard" comes to mind...
lazs

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2003, 08:27:29 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
That's what passes for the Sacred Strat.
Erm... no, looks more like a steamroller. But that's OK, you're entitled to your views. Twas a good movie though, wasn't it?  All those explosions... Did you trouble to watch it?  Didn't think so. Come on Bufo, I know you've got broadband. It's only 1.37MB.   :D

Lazs!  Awww, come on now. I got 4 kills plus a prox kill in less than 11 minutes. That's a k/h of 25+ when expressed as an hourly rate!  I thought that was the ONLY thing that mattered to you. Maybe you're just upset because you don't know how to upload files to your own webspace. :D  

Ooops, that was a bit below the belt.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2003, 08:33:10 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
PS: The fight is the thing. All else is just rubbish.:D
That would have been funny at one time. But in light of the wave of account cancellations in recent weeks, and for the reasons given, it isn't funny at all.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2003, 08:37:50 AM »
Of course I didn't watch it. It's a rerun. That happens every night in the MA; is Mr. Beetle's Big Adventure somehow different from what we've all seen and do every night?

As for your poke at Laz, you stuck yourself in the eye. CV fights are some of the absolute BEST action on any map and without doubt the VERY BEST action on Infinity.

The trouble is some Strat minded individual feels he must seek glory and his country's highest honor by sinking the CV and ending the fun.

Best to get two opposing furballin' Captains to put 2 CV's way, way out to sea but out of gun/PT range of each other and have a wonderful night in AH. :D

Properly done, CV's fights are IT........ because the fight is the thing, Coleoptera Chrysomelidae.

Admit it.. you enjoyed the fast and furious action, didn't you? You don't have to be ashamed; hair won't grow on your palm because you furballed with your hair on fire. ;)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2003, 08:43:08 AM »
ya know beetle... as well as you claim you do... one would think yur stats would reflect it.   And most things you say are from below the belt... as in talking out yur....

I don't have a webspace.  don't even know what one is.
lazs

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2003, 08:45:20 AM »
Ah, of course you didn't watch it, Bufo Marinus.  I expect you're busy with other things. Like initiating a campaign to HTC to have GV pintle guns weakened. But that's OK. Do what you've always done. Don't like a situation? Have HTC program a way out for you. :rolleyes:

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2003, 08:45:23 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
That would have been funny at one time. But in light of the wave of account cancellations in recent weeks, and for the reasons given, it isn't funny at all.

LOL!

If it isn't just the "summer hiatus", which I think is the true cause because it's a "historical" phenomenom, the TRUE REASON for any "wave of account cancellations" is because of the near total LACK OF GOOD FIGHTS.

Face it. Being in the Massively Multi-plane Attacking Horde isn't much fun. You have to scratch, scramble and squabble with your own kill-stealing countrymen to get credit for a vulch of the poor outnumbered and lower bastiges trying to defend their territory against hopeless odds. Some fun. Some ACM.  Blah.

And of course, if you happen to be on the receiving end of the Massively Multi-plane Attacking Horde, you have the pleasure of fighting overwhelming odds in aircraft that are usually much lower and at a much lower E state than the attackers. You may shoot one or two down and then spend three or four minutes continually dodging the five guys chasing you before the six, seventh or eighth one gets you.

Face it; the days where you could find a few v few fight are gone now. Unless you stumble into a good CV setup which will only last until the heroes of strategery sink the boat.

And if there's ANY reason accounts are being cancelled other than summer, it's the "steamroller strat" aspect that dominates AH.

IMO.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2003, 08:49:18 AM »
Go ahead, Coleoptera Chrysomelidae make that short list of all the things that I have asked HTC to change and post it for all to see. :D

I just play the game. Always have. But really, do make a list of my pleading to have something changed my way. I'd love to see what you come up with.

Yeah, I posted on the pintle gun. That's about the only one I remember. It's too egregious for even me to overlook.

And as I said, I ALWAYS look for a decent CV engagement when I log in. They are the ONLY good action left, IMO.

So, yeah, I've seen you're film. From my own cockpit.  Or one just like it.  ;)

Is there something special about yours?

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2003, 08:53:09 AM »
geeze toad... you are sounding a lot like me these days... well... a more articulate version of me but... just the same...

It's no fun to gangbang and it's no fun to be gangbanged... the only good fites in the MA happen between the close fields or the cv's.

in infinity... I will up in a tempest to chase down a cowardly dee 9 or pee 51... It is not much fun tho... they run and run and at the last minute... pick really boring ways to die.    I wonder if it is a excietting to them as it is boring to me?
lazs

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2003, 09:15:32 AM »
Bufo - I was using a generic "You", as I hate the Australian derivation "Yous". Saw plenty of them in Yorkshire last week, with little lambs hanging off them. You (Toad) and Lazs and Nopoop are all birds of a feather, and have in recent times whined for map rotation, fields closer together, end to suicide fuel porker, clamoured for 163 (not that you want it yourself, but want to thwart buffs), whined about the other team being organised, whined about pizza, whined about trinity, whined about "indestructible" pintle guns...  Hehe, not such a short list - and I came up with it off the top of my head.

Now you must excuse me. I have some things to attend to...

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2003, 09:19:23 AM »
Just increase the cost of subscription back to $29.95 like it was early on.  That will get rid of alot of that cheap crap and bring the fun factor back to a worthwhile level.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2003, 09:48:11 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
geeze toad... you are sounding a lot like me these days... well... a more articulate version of me but... just the same...

Thats the final straw Toad , your membership in the TAS is in serious jeporady.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2003, 09:53:29 AM »
If that was the generic "you", you (specifically) need to work on your writing style.

And while you link me with the aforementioned "causes" (map rotation, fields closer together, end to suicide fuel porker, clamoured for 163, whined about the other team being organised, whined about pizza, whined about trinity, whined about "indestructible" pintle guns) you (specifically) are wrong once again.

I don't care about map rotation. It's not the map, it's the fight that makes AH fun. If there's good fights, maps don't matter. I pointed this out in the Trinity thread that NB participated in where he agreed with ME (not you ) about one guy causing damage to fuel that penalized half the plane set and took 7 guys to repair.

Fields closer together? I haven't campaigned for it, but I think it might make for more fun fights. You see, the fight's the thing; as long as a map provides good fight opportunities, that's fine.

Suicide fuel porker? Again, see the Trinity thread featuring NB. Even that map's creator thinks that needing 7 goon sorties to repair what one fighter can do to fuel is wrong. Says he's going to try to fix it. I say, let them pork fuel; but let the repair of said fuel be of an approximately equal effort to the destruction of said fuel. Again, let them pork fuel; the fight's the thing. If one guy can pork it, then one guy should be able to fix it to a decent level and keep the fight going. 7 to 1 is a little out of whack.

Clamored for the 163? Jets and rockets are for kids. You don't see ME (specifically) clamoring for any of those. Because they don't make for good fights...... and the fight's the thing.

I don't whine about Pizza. For some reason I always find good fights on Pizza. And, you see, the fight's the thing. It's the raison d'etre for AH.

I don't whine about Trinity per se. As you can find in the Trinity/NB thread, I think I said the map doesn't matter as long as the opportunity is there for a good fight. Because the fight's the thing. Trinity has some good CV action... when the strateegeristas don't pork them by sinking the boats.

Pintle gun? Yep, that's posted by me. After reading an awful lot about WW2 aviation, I just haven't found the big, long list of tank commanders that became aces by shooting down enemy aircraft with their .30 caliber ring mount pintle guns. I think something is out of balance here, sort of like one guy knocking a field's fuel down to 25% in three quick passes resulting in a need for 7 long resupply sorties just to bring it back up to 50%. A question of balance is all. A question.

But theres' absolutely no question that the fight's the thing; that the fight is the raison d'etre for AH. As they say "High fidelity air combat is the heart of Aces High".

Everyone, it seems, knows the fight's the thing.

:D