Author Topic: Bombing?  (Read 529 times)

Offline zroostr

• Copper Member
Bombing?
« on: June 17, 2003, 09:44:50 AM »
WTF! I cant hit anything in a bomber these days. When I played aces high before, I used to be able to adjust the flight of the plane from the bombsight. Now that doesnt work and this calibration thingy has me goin bonkers cuz I just dont seem to get it. I start dropping my bombs when the "x" crosses the target yet the bombs all fall hundreds of yards away from the target and I cant understand why.

Can any bomber drivers give me a clue here?

Offline WhiteHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Bombing?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2003, 10:13:07 AM »
When you are at least 1 sectre away from yer target, cut your throttle.  Id say about 75% on b17's and lancs.  Open yer bomb doors and use your nose gun position to set your course for the target.  make sure you click on the target on the map to set the alt.  As you approach 1/2 sectr away, you should be at the speed of the drop.  Tis is important because if you calibrate at a different speed, the bombs will fall hundreds of yards away.
  Now, get into calibration mode and pick a spot aabout halfway inbetween your planes and the target.
  Myself, I choose not to zoom in too much.  Mybe just a tad.
  keep the crosshairs on the spot for as long as possible, but do not allow the crosshairs to pass under the aircraft.
  Release the calibration button without moving the joystick .  Now you are ready to drop.
It takes practice and patience.  Dedicate 1 wqhole camp to buff driving and you will have it down pat.

Hints.  Claibrate as close to the target as possible, but leave yourself enuff room to calibrate again incase you screww up the first one.  I find this extrememly helpful.  

Write off 30% of the bombs as waste material, you want to drop 2 salvo's infront of the target and 2 salvo's behind the target, just in case of 'long' or 'short' calibration.  Dont try to pinpoint bomb, you will miss by a few yards and waste the entire load.
  The airbases are poor for AH bombers since the blast radius is very small and the targets are spread out.  I have killed all 4 bomber hangars at a medium airbase before, but they come right back up.  In fact, fighters from the ded hangars first pass were upping to kill me as I was omw home.  This makes me mad and I no longer waste my time with FH's

Towns, an the other hand, are a joy to kill with bombers.  thats what ww2 buffs were built for.  Killin towns and cities and factories,.:D
« Last Edit: June 17, 2003, 10:15:55 AM by WhiteHawk »

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Bombing?
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2003, 12:53:02 PM »
Before calibrating you have to let your speed stabilize.  Then, after calibrating, you must maintain speed and altitude exactly, or you will miss.

Offline acetnt

• Zinc Member
« Last Edit: June 17, 2003, 02:04:58 PM by acetnt »

Offline zroostr

• Copper Member
Bombing?
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2003, 06:57:32 PM »
Originally posted by WhiteHawk
When you are at least 1 sectre away from yer target, cut your throttle.  Id say about 75% on b17's and lancs.  Open yer bomb doors and use your nose gun position to set your course for the target.  make sure you click on the target on the map to set the alt.  As you approach 1/2 sectr away, you should be at the speed of the drop.  Tis is important because if you calibrate at a different speed, the bombs will fall hundreds of yards away.
  Now, get into calibration mode and pick a spot aabout halfway inbetween your planes and the target.
  Myself, I choose not to zoom in too much.  Mybe just a tad.
  keep the crosshairs on the spot for as long as possible, but do not allow the crosshairs to pass under the aircraft.
  Release the calibration button without moving the joystick .  Now you are ready to drop.
It takes practice and patience.  Dedicate 1 wqhole camp to buff driving and you will have it down pat.

Thanks all but this I want to further. About the calibration mode, are you saying to go to f6, point the bombsight so I see forward and get an estimate halfway between me and the target? Because what I've been doing is just pointing the thing straight down to calibrate and trying to line myself up with the nose gun . As you can tell I've been less than successful. My salvo is nowhere near the target intended. The one time it actually looked as if the bombs were falling ahead of the plane instead of behind it. Dunno what that was about but that miss was by a mile. I'd really like to learn how to do this too since flying fighters can get dull at times so I wanna be able to take up some ordanance and not have it be a waste of time.

Offline acetnt

• Zinc Member
Bombing?
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2003, 10:03:19 AM »
Hello zroostr,

I  gave you the links above. In one of them I had replied to a bombing question on how I do my calibration and line up with the target. I will summarize. I cut trottle and open doors and MAKE sure that my speed is constant. I then go to F6 and do a rough calibration just so I can use the rudder to adjust my flight path. Normally I am fairly far from the target at this point so I too use my nose guns to line up on target. I explain in detail this process in the link above. When I get closer to the target, such that, I can see the target with my scope I recalibrate. I can then make small adjustments to my flight path while looking through the scope. If I have to make big adjustments then I will change my speed and must recalibrate.

Couple things to note - try north south approached - helps because of wind direction. Use salve one and release the bombs one at a time- you can control the drop better.

Please read the info within the links of my previous posts. I assure you that the advice there is good.

Offline zroostr

• Copper Member
Bombing?
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2003, 03:05:29 PM »
Originally posted by acetnt
Hello zroostr,

I  gave you the links above. In one of them I had replied to a bombing question on how I do my calibration and line up with the target. I will summarize. I cut trottle and open doors and MAKE sure that my speed is constant. I then go to F6 and do a rough calibration just so I can use the rudder to adjust my flight path. Normally I am fairly far from the target at this point so I too use my nose guns to line up on target. I explain in detail this process in the link above. When I get closer to the target, such that, I can see the target with my scope I recalibrate. I can then make small adjustments to my flight path while looking through the scope. If I have to make big adjustments then I will change my speed and must recalibrate.

Couple things to note - try north south approached - helps because of wind direction. Use salve one and release the bombs one at a time- you can control the drop better.

Please read the info within the links of my previous posts. I assure you that the advice there is good.

Thanx I sure will. ;) I didnt mean to skip anybody but that one point in the calibration is where I think my problem is starting. When it starts out wrong the whole thing is borked. I'm definitely gonna do some reading tho since I want to be better at this game. It's too fun to hit a wall and stay stuck.;)

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Yeah we need you back where you belong.
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2003, 04:02:12 PM »
Just so you can be our bomber guy and we can protect you and learn from your mistakes. :D Seriously if you need some different help give us a shout and I will do all I can to help you.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline ALF

• Silver Member
      • http://www.mikethinks.com
Bombing?
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2003, 05:09:46 PM »
Tutorial here:

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Bombing?
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2003, 08:46:53 AM »
Its an art...I've read all the tutorials and manage to hit most of what I aim for.  Most of the time, I'm whacked on the bombrun since my speed has been slow for so long, any defenders have ample time to climb and throw some rounds into me

However...I'm noticing inthe Lancaster, if I loose the tail gun (or any gun) in one buff, the other two, though intact, loose it too

Is this just me?  Or an "undocumented feature"  :confused:

Offline zroostr

• Copper Member
Re: Yeah we need you back where you belong.
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2003, 09:48:14 AM »
Originally posted by Reschke
Just so you can be our bomber guy and we can protect you and learn from your mistakes. :D Seriously if you need some different help give us a shout and I will do all I can to help you.

Hey bro wassup! :) I'm glad you posted cuz I lost the link to vf17 and have been too busy to email a request for it. Good to see ya around.

Offline acetnt

• Zinc Member
Bombing?
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2003, 10:03:01 AM »
Originally posted by zroostr
Thanx I sure will. ;) I didnt mean to skip anybody but that one point in the calibration is where I think my problem is starting. When it starts out wrong the whole thing is borked. I'm definitely gonna do some reading tho since I want to be better at this game. It's too fun to hit a wall and stay stuck.;)

zroostr,

As for the calibration - I normally press Y for at least 10 sec --- not 3 like suggested. For some reason my hits are more accurate this way.

And I am sorry for one of my previous links....the screen shots form the link seem to have been removed at some point..

Acetnt

P.S. If you ever need help and I'm online -give me a shout

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Bombing?
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2003, 11:43:45 AM »
No problem Zroostr. Just give us a shout when you can. I know you are still on the email list so just check there when you can.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline zroostr

• Copper Member
Bombing?
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2003, 04:15:52 PM »
Will do reschke. ;)

I'm readin alfs bombing tutorial and came across this gem...."The Lanc is without question the heavy hitter in the buff hanger, but it is also more vulnerable than many other bombers, and climbs more slowly than a brick." :D:D:D  I think I'll fly the brick. :)

And thanx again to all who have provided me with input to get the hang of this thing. I've also hit a wall in my dogfighting but I'll save that for another thread after I get some bombing skills. One dilemma at a time.;)

Offline WOOD1

• Zinc Member
Bombing?
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2003, 03:45:46 AM »
My bombing accuracy is dead on now that I tried a tip that I got from reading rod367th tips to newbies, I was calibrating according to HT instructions, which says to hold the ' key down for 2-4 seconds, something like that. I would sometimes hit, usually miss. rod recommends holding it for 20-30 seconds,  now I hit what is in the crosshairs.  Of course you must maintain the speed and alt that you calibrated at.

AKwoody
:cool: