Author Topic: What is it with all the no-skill killstealers lately?  (Read 2628 times)

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
What is it with all the no-skill killstealers lately?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2003, 04:54:36 PM »
As a recent transplant from Warbirds I can tell you that almost all the gripes here rarely occur over there.  Of course when you only have 50 or less in the arena the community becomes close knit and there is not much in the way of lopsided numbers.  I'll take the gripes here any day!

Although the perk points in this sim make kills alittle more important, my main payoff is knowing I shot the guy down.  Even if some dweeb feels it necessary to add his lead to the carcass and is officially awarded the kill.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2003, 06:55:16 PM »
I dunno.. I think maybe it could be a server burp sometimes.  The other day I worked pretty hard at killin a spit (me in a P-40b).  Laid a whole bunch of ammo into him, he we was on fire and smoking... and as I watched him flutter to earth this clown comes along and puts a pile of ammo into him till he exploded.  I called the guy (who I'll leave nameless) on it, and he starts with this big thing on vox about how I completely missed, all the while another player was commenting it looked like the guy was flying and ANOTHER guy commented on what about the smoke, fire and flutter did they not get about the guy being dead.  SO.. I don't know, maybe sometimes the effects don't get to all the pilots.  Either way... I've still noticed a significant increase in kill stealing morons lately.

HTC... please jack the price back up.  WAY up.

Tumor
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2003, 07:08:33 PM »
If you want to steal my kill, your welcome to it :)

It is sometimes hard to tell what is going on.  I have laid lead into some enemy, but sprayed him all over.  Others come in and I brake off.  Moments later, I get the kill.  I must have done more damage, but I didn't do enough damage in any one place to take him down.  I bet someone is cussing under their breath thinking someone took their kill :)
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2003, 07:40:10 PM »
Edge welcome to the darkside, hope you enjoy it.

In the arena most call out "The spits dead" or something along those lines.

Doesn't bother me much, it all evens out.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline mia389

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2003, 09:27:40 PM »
That brings up a question. How does AH give you a kill or when multiple planes shoot at a target how does it figure wich guy killed it. Alot of times ill take a guys wing off he will fall and other guys shoot it on the way down but it gives me the kill(wich it should). Lastnight however we were in bish territory and I manged to get a ping on Mathmans f6f then his E left me in the dust and 3min later I got the kill and i heard someone say f6f dead. In that case I should not have gotten the kill as im sure 1 ping from a 50 cal at 1.1 out shouldnt have hurt a f6f at all. Usally if I disable a plane or really beat it up I get the kill even if others try to ''kill steal". Sometimes Im getting kills for just a couple of pings on a guy. Anyone know how this works? is it first hits on emeny gets the kill when going down or most damage or sometihng? maybe first to pilot wound,or disrupt flight controls or something would be interesting to know

FBsmokey

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2003, 09:35:16 PM »
The player who did the most points of damage gets the kill.

Offline hyena426

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2003, 09:55:53 PM »
The player who did the most points of damage gets the kill.
 not allways,,somtimes,,,i know for a fact one time i was straifing a pnz with a stuka,,we all know stuka version we got has horrible guns that couldnt hurt any tank,,but i was just tring to get his attetion,,while a buddy killed him in a panzer,,,well when he killed the panzer i got the kill for it,,,there is no way i did more damage with my tiny little guns compared to his main cannon,,lol

and one time i was going to dive bomb a tank with a 1,000lb bomb,,,and a spittfire was straifing the tank,,and said he didnt have any cannon rounds left,,he was using mgs on him,,,i dropped my 1,000lb bomb on the tank,,,and the guy in the spitt got the kill for it,,and even he said i should of got kill for it,,i think they need to work on the damage points a little more:)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2003, 09:58:23 PM by hyena426 »

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2003, 10:04:37 PM »
Been playing less than a year and I've noticed a significant reduction in ... skill.... at least the use of it.  I would say maybe 75% of people I fight are perfectly content to trade HO's and are at a bit of a loss at what to do once HO fails.  Of course, with their skill level, if they die while killing a guy it's a successful mission.  Half the arena is in La7's and spits.. niks too sometimes,  just looking for an opportunity to HO someone, die, then up to HO someone again.  Many of these HO peeps are perfectly willing to fly their plane into their opponents if the HO misses.
As a matter of curiosity, the other day I kept track of 30 head to head merges.  26... 26!  of then were content to trade HO attacks. Now, some of you can type all you want about how HO is a legitimate tactic, I'm not saying it is or isn't.  I am saying it's foolish in terms of this game.  In almost all mutual Ho's, both planes are damaged to the point of being disabled, with at least one gettting shot down.  So the "winner" ends up in a crippled plane and is lucky to limp home with his one kill.  Had a guy tell me the other day "I almost always win my HO's, Steve."  I checked his k/d k/s... both less than 1...I didn't bother explaining his lack of logic... it runs throughout the MA.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2003, 10:11:27 PM by Steve »
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2003, 10:14:34 PM »
Originally posted by Steve
...I would say maybe 75% of people I fight are perfectly content to trade HO's and are at a bit of a loss at what to do once HO fails.

In other words, 75% of the people you fight have enough skill to force a neutral merge.

Takes two to HO.
sand

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2003, 10:32:05 PM »
whoever feels it takes two to HO is a fool.  Forcing a neutral merge is one thing(and easier than about anything in the game, including landing).. once that is done, only one guy can fire to make in an HO.  If only one guy wants to HO, he can, and the other guy chooses to evade the HO attempt.  there you have it... one guy HO'ing.... not two.  That phrase "it takes two to HO"  is just plain rediculous.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2003, 10:36:41 PM »
Oh... I get it... it takes skill to hold your fire... okay... :rolleyes:
sand

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2003, 10:44:37 PM »
Nice try sandman.  No, it takes a modicum of skill to dodge the HO on the merge.  Not a great amount, mind you... but at least a smidge.  But, you've made my point for me by not arguing it with anything but sarcasm.  Thanks.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2003, 10:47:47 PM »
Well... if you can dodge a HO at the merge, why are you complaining?
sand

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2003, 10:57:06 PM »
I'm agreeing with some others in this thread, and other threads, that say the skill level is deteriorating in the arena(imo).  And I can dodge Ho's yes, but some still score a ping or two.  I think that those who settle for Ho's as their primary mode of attack are denying themselves the opportunity to improve as rapidly/much as their potential allows and also the pleasure of recognizing said improvement. Of course, this is all under the assumption that people would consider getting say... 3 kills per mission/death to be better than getting  less than one.
Now, sure there are times when you are left with no option but to HO... I understnd this, Sandman... and since you like flying the hurri, your odds of success are better than many.  I'm saying (again) that it seems many are content to use the HO as their primary method of getting kill and that this is, imho, not the best way to be successful/get the most fun out of the game.

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2003, 11:04:45 PM »
If it has a red icon I shoot it.  If you weren't able to finish the job yourself, there's no need to come here squeaking about your own shortcomings.

MiniD