Author Topic: Why So High?  (Read 1762 times)

Offline stegor

• Nickel Member
Why So High?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2003, 03:07:08 AM »
Again and again..... "You don't fly the way I want ....booring!!":rolleyes:
Nibbio
4° Stormo C.T. "F. Baracca"

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Why So High?
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2003, 03:59:37 AM »
I dont get it either, I sometimes fly the Il2 in base defense just for the hell of it and pretty much every time I fly it there are some guys who simply run from that one too. I've also had people run away from my SBD5 and my Stuka... :eek:

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
Why So High?
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2003, 04:56:26 AM »
You just think you can "hear" Jimmy. But you can't hear Jimmy.

White men cant jump :D
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Why So High?
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2003, 05:04:25 AM »
Originally posted by -ammo-
drunky-

You just think you can "hear" Jimmy.  But you can't hear Jimmy.

ammo you just think you can "spell " Jimi, but you can`t spell Jimi.
  Excuse me while I kiss the sky. :cool:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2003, 05:50:20 PM by Jackal1 »
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
Why So High?
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2003, 05:07:03 AM »
That is always a laugh, having spits run from Stukas. Last month straw broke camels back in this game, typical bish horde comes along. Musta been about 30 P51s from the deck to 25k  plus more behind them, in the sector was 2 squaddies, some dumb n00b who couldnt get off the ground and me. P51s go in half auger more show up so there is about 30-40 over the base alone. Im fighting a spitv that actually wants to fight my p38, I shoot him up, he runs. of course a spitv running is usually laughable. But he does the point nose at the ground in the direction of his buddys. Then a 32k+ 109 shows up. I mean Im at 22k and this guy is a little dot that says 109. P51s suddenly notice me and now I got 5 heading for me, so I just bail.
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Why So High?
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2003, 08:27:41 AM »
Yep... why fly in high if you are no good anyway?  some trainer tell you that alt is life?  

Alt isn't life and it doesn't give you an advantage if you can't do acm.  You will just die that much more slowly... people who take the time to go up (or lure you down) to kill you will be that much more disgusted with your lack of skill because they wasted so much time on you. and...

you will never get good in your high alt foxhole.
lazs

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
Why So High?
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2003, 08:28:22 AM »
Why won’t they come down?  It takes a long time to get that much altitude, do you think they’re going to blow it all at once?  Hell no!  They paid their time for it, might as well see the sights while you’re at it :D.

Originally posted by Kweassa

Blah blah blah...  Perk it all until I see what I want.

People are going to fly the best perceived aircraft no matter what time frame you have.  I didn’t read all that dribble but it basically comes down to, you perk the top four then there will be another top 4, so lets perk it.  Then the next 4.  We’ll be paying 5 perks to fly a C47 by they time you're done.  Also there’s no way I’m going to change in a 51 for a hun piece of junk.

I’m sorry the aircraft diversity is not what you would like it to be but that doesn’t give you the right to dictate what someone else flies.  And this is in no way similar to the C-hog debacle.

It’s really not all about you ;).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2003, 07:49:50 AM by Zippatuh »

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
Why So High?
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2003, 08:38:45 AM »
Originally posted by NoBaddy
Rude...

It is a sign of AH's success. If you were around in AW prior to CRIS, the average alt was about 5k. Increase the players...increase the alt. Hell, with what alt costs these days...why not? :D

I flew back then....I agree....so many folks have changed things for sure.

Hey HT!!! Raise the price:)

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
Why So High?
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2003, 08:40:21 AM »
Originally posted by stegor
Again and again..... "You don't fly the way I want ....booring!!":rolleyes:

Sissy!

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Why So High?
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2003, 08:40:47 AM »
How does someone afford to be bored?   the game is cheaper so I can afford to be bored?
lazs

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Why So High?
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2003, 08:58:13 AM »
So I log on to see where the action is.  Knights are doing a big push on the southwest front so I head over that way.  Two Rook bases are close to the Knight base.  One is porked to 25% fuel, the other is 100% but no DTs, so I up a P-47D-30 with 100%.  

Climb out on a mix of WEP and max throttle.  I'm at 20k by the time I can even see the Knight base because I've travelled nearly two sectors to get to the closest enemy base.  Also at 20k is a Knight FW190 circling over its own airfield.  Maybe he sees the "P47" tag and assumes I'm goinna divebomb or something, but anyway he charges at me in an offset merge.  We start circling around in a sort of offset joust with the FW doing a split-S downward after each merge and I'm doing a split-S upward after each merge.  Eventually he ends up about 5k below me so things are looking better.

Right about then I notice a P-38 coming in from the north, probably upped from the Knight base farther upstream.  I do some turnfighting with him, but of course at 20k alt he has the advantage so I break off by diving away.

Since I'm diving away, the FW sees its chance and chases me.  Well, I can't turn without ending up in the gunsight of the P-38 and I can't outrun the FW, so I make a quick vulch pass over the Knight airfield and catch a P-51 on climbout.  Apparently the FW doesn't believe in teamwork because he doesn't "Check 6" the 'stang.  Easy backshot kill for me.

Now the FW is within d1.0 of me so I do a little evasive just to make him work a bit.  I know in a turnfight I can take'em, but we're both packing too much speed so I go into a climb to bleed some energy, maybe get the FW to blackout and lose sight of me.  I go up, wingover, back down, the FW is still there.  I really gotta come up with some new maneuvers, I guess.  We go round and round a bit and I know the P-38 is probably licking its chops trying to decide whether to come down or not.  Right about then an LA-7 ups from the airfield and puts an end to the game.  Oh well.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2003, 09:02:17 AM by gofaster »

Offline stegor

• Nickel Member
Why So High?
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2003, 09:22:27 AM »
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by stegor
Again and again..... "You don't fly the way I want ....booring!!"

Sissy!

:confused: wondering why . Maybe I missed something Rude??
Nibbio
4° Stormo C.T. "F. Baracca"

Offline Sharky

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.31stfightergroup.com
Why So High?
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2003, 10:30:21 AM »
I've been reading these debates over flying style for the last few days with quiet amusment.  On the one hand you have the folks that believe that the real pilots just wade in at low level and go at it.  The other group seeks to gain an advantage in energy before engaging.

Now of course each group thinks their's is the "Manly" way to conduct air combat and the other are just dweebs.  The classic "If you don't fly and fight my way your a no talent dweeb"

The low alt guys say that any one that enters the fight with an altitude advantage will run the first time anyone shows any intention of challanging them.  (Spits running from SBDs and Stukas etc)  The energy camp says the furballers just spawn, shoot, die.......rinse and repeat.

Well I will always try to gain every advantage that I can.  I really like to return to base as much as I can.  Now do I always have the advantage when I fight?  No.  Sometimes your forced into a fight with a disadvantage.  Will I try and disengage from that fight if I can?  You bet!  If I'm caught slow in my Mustang by a Spit, it would be suicied to try and fight on his terms unless he's the worse pilot to ever fly this sim.  I'll try to force a nose to nose merge then unload and haul ass.

you will never get good in your high alt foxhole.
lazs

This caught my eye.  Now I'm not the best pilot in the sky but I do Ok.  I've at one time or another been a trainer both here and in Warbirds so it can be assumed that I at least have a working knowledge of ACM.

Now I just got back into flying after several months break so I decided to bounce my stats against yours lazs.  Guess what?  We're almost identical in our stats.  Both have a K/D about 3, both have a K/S of about 1.5, both have a K/H of about 7 and our gunnery is about the same at ~6.5%

So it seems to me lazs that we both get just about the same success out of the way we each fly this sim and isn't that the whole point?

Sharky
(If you want to see my stats use ChiefD, new account)

edited for spelling and grammer
« Last Edit: June 24, 2003, 10:35:17 AM by Sharky »

Offline mia389

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Why So High?
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2003, 10:44:03 AM »
Kweassa you are so right reading all that. They wonder why I sit at 20k in a P38 while there down there killing my base and the couple guys that upped. I hear on channel one you alt monkey smokey come down here,, Im thinking ya come down there to killed by 15 Rooks waiting for me to come down. Think Ill keep my alt and pick the guys off that try to climb to me.

Offline flyingaround

• Nickel Member
errr.......
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2003, 11:30:40 AM »
sorry everyone, i misunderstood the thread title.  Thought this was about sumptin' else.  (**cough 420**)

+Lute
III/JG26 9ST Widow Makers
WMLute

III/JG26 9th ST WidowMakers