Author Topic: Where Fur and Strat Collide...  (Read 9032 times)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Where Fur and Strat Collide...
« Reply #375 on: July 08, 2003, 02:32:06 PM »
wildthing and beetle... we are just discussing options at this point.  I will guarentee you this tho...

if HTC said that they would like to see an "area arena" map... the BK's or TAS would not have to "get together and design" one... there would be 10 guys looking to make one.
lazs

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #376 on: July 08, 2003, 02:53:41 PM »
if HTC said that they would like to see an "area arena" map... the BK's or TAS would not have to "get together and design" one... there would be 10 guys looking to make one.

Has HTC said that?
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #377 on: July 08, 2003, 04:43:57 PM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
I think most everybody understands the efficiency aspect to lengthening field distances and purposefully spreading out the action.  It's the same logic that guided removing individual kill declarations and only announcing landed kills of two or more.

However, problems arise from unforeseen consequences that result from spreading out fields.  These consequences, in part, contribute to the feeling among some that Aces High has somehow changed for the worse.  These consequences include:

(1)  Generally longer transit times to fights.

(2)  Generally higher altitude fights due to the increased field distances allowing for greater climb times.

(3)  An increased emphasis on late war, fast planes to decrease transit time to and from these far bases.

(4)  Destroying base fuel affects fights relatively more than before due to longer flight distances.

(a)  Reduced fuel availability disproportionately affects early war planes over late war planes.

(b)  The increased value of fuel as a tactical target increases the likelihood that teams attack fuel depots by any means necessary, including suicide divebombing.

To name a few.  Others could identify more.  Some may see these consequences as positive things and others as negative.  Surely, however, they have changed the flavor of the game somewhat -- for better or for worse depending on personal tastes.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Bingo!

As to me making a map? It works this way....I pay HTC to PLAY....not to work. Personally I have too much on my plate as it is.

Like I said above....if it begins to suck really bad, I'll find something else to do. I know all too well that the designers focus is not on pleasing old farts like myself....we do not populate the MA.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #378 on: July 08, 2003, 05:41:10 PM »
yep.. like rude says.. I pay to play.  Who knows how it will all turn out?  right now it is the best sim going.

WB was the best sim going at one time.   They told me in WB  that there was nothing wrong with not having a six view and that Corsairs really did only climb 2800 feet per minute.   They also told me that it was only me an a couple of other guys who didn't like an RPS with axis vs allied and that I was crazy if I thought that people would get bored with that....  That action and parity weren't realistic.

wab... I said that if HTC said they wanted to do an area arena.... they would have 10 guys or more jumping in and working on one for free... I stand by that...wouldn't be me or rude tho no matter what..  we are old, slow and lazy.

I think the real truth is that the defenders of the status quo don't want any choice  for other players.   I don't think that there would be any real problem with an area arena...   There wouldn't be any more furballs in the arena than there are on a good night in the current arenas... difference is.. you would be able to count on em because they would be happening allmost any time you logged on.    Of course.... you wouldn't have to participate.

The only downside is that the B&Z sky accountants wouldn't have as many easy targets to choose from... I believe they fear having to fight planes on a more or less equal footing.
lazs

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
« Reply #379 on: July 08, 2003, 07:56:20 PM »
Originally posted by Rude

I know all too well that the designers focus is not on pleasing old farts like myself....we do not populate the MA.

Ain't it the truth , I'm only a few years away from digging out the "Happy Gardeners Planner" disc my wife bought me a few years ago.
Who knows maybe I can learn to reverse bees and kill beetles.

At least I'll still be in the weeds.

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
« Reply #380 on: July 08, 2003, 10:06:27 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2

I think the real truth is that the defenders of the status quo don't want any choice  for other players.   I don't think that there would be any real problem with an area arena...   There wouldn't be any more furballs in the arena than there are on a good night in the current arenas... difference is.. you would be able to count on em because they would be happening allmost any time you logged on.    Of course.... you wouldn't have to participate.

The only downside is that the B&Z sky accountants wouldn't have as many easy targets to choose from... I believe they fear having to fight planes on a more or less equal footing.
lazs

Lazs, you are so full of it that when you die, your descendants will be able to fertilize a couple of sections and still have 50 pounds left over. ;)

I think most of us look forward to any changes made by HTC.  Most of us aren't one-dimensional (like some I could mention) in our fun seeking.  I think most of us think change is good.

HTC's connection  can be anywhere from unused to saturated.  None of us know where HTC is on that scale -- I don't know if they're averaging 80% (or whatever.)  I just know that early war furballs push us closer to the saturation point.  

There is one thing I'm confident about -- Hitech won't make changes (no matter how much you whine) that saturate his connection.

Let's just hope they find a solution that pleases most of us.

curly

Offline bfreek

• Copper Member
« Reply #381 on: July 08, 2003, 10:25:26 PM »
Strategy here is  #######################################################################################################################################################################################################'s.

PERIOD

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #382 on: July 09, 2003, 08:20:00 AM »
bfreek is actually right on this one.... All the vaunted "strategy"  all the silly "missuns" all the hopes and dreams and nail biting worry over the capture of this or that "resource"...

It all boils down to.... the country with the most numbers is the steamroller and the country with the least is the roadbed... nothing changes that... if the country is full of maw or well adjusted players... it comes out the same...

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #383 on: July 09, 2003, 08:42:36 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
bfreek is actually right on this one.... All the vaunted "strategy"  all the silly "missuns" all the hopes and dreams and nail biting worry over the capture of this or that "resource"...

It all boils down to.... the country with the most numbers is the steamroller and the country with the least is the roadbed... nothing changes that... if the country is full of maw or well adjusted players... it comes out the same...

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's
Lazs, I agree in that I don't like the missuns created by the missun editor, but I do like the combat to have a purpose. But because of too many warnings - Base under attack, flashing map, bardar etc., stealth tactics are compromised. Throw the missun editor into the cauldron and we have the numerical supremacy uberity/gangbangery that we're all so fed up with right now.

But if all fields were made uncapturable, all targets indestructible, well - that's one way you could get rid of me. ;)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #384 on: July 09, 2003, 08:50:30 AM »
so beetle... if the "missuns" went unoppossed because no one knew they were happening then... Gameplay would be better?  If the steamroller went unapossed it would.... what?   Seems lack of warning promotes even less action (killing toolsheds is not "action").
lazs

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #385 on: July 09, 2003, 09:18:45 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
Lazs, I agree in that I don't like the missuns created by the missun editor, but I do like the combat to have a purpose. But because of too many warnings - Base under attack, flashing map, bardar etc., stealth tactics are compromised. Throw the missun editor into the cauldron and we have the numerical supremacy uberity/gangbangery that we're all so fed up with right now.

But if all fields were made uncapturable, all targets indestructible, well - that's one way you could get rid of me. ;)

Now this is funny.

Last night the Bishops hit A5 in force....fights were hard to find last night, so I flew over to where everyone was at. I got there and we were hittin it hard...bombers, jabo...standard shock and awe stuff....I was lite so myself and others were vulchin the remaining morsels and established a cap...the entire field was destroyed....nothing left....scorched earth.

Well, now I'm bored so I thought these guys will capture this and I can just land here. I waited and waited, then asked the 64 million dollar question....anyone bring the drunks? No reply....again, asked the same and was told nope.

I thought to myself, why in the world would we kill the fight only to sit around and stare at each other....it just didn't make any sense.

Then the most intense light shown from above...I was temporarily blinded by it's brilliance....as my eyes slowly adjusted, it suddenly became clear....there above us all by some 5k was the life blood of this inept exercise....yes folks....the BEETLE himself!

I called to him on range channel to ask, why...why....what is our purpose????

He wouldn't even give me the time of day.

If that's your idea of fun Beetle, then you can have it....no wonder you won't fight...you still have work to do on the base capture thingie.

Remember my orthodontically challenged friend....bring the DRUNKS!!!

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #386 on: July 09, 2003, 09:26:22 AM »
Remember my orthodontically challenged friend....bring the DRUNKS!!!

Its humorous how everyone always expects someone else to bring the drunks.

Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #387 on: July 09, 2003, 09:33:19 AM »
Originally posted by AKWabbit
Its humorous how everyone always expects someone else to bring the drunks.

Wab

Well Wab....if that much effort was put forth to scorch this field and strat enthusiasts like Beetle were involved, I thought it strange that no one seemed to think of it.

Now the 13th has been said to lack leadership and the skills to acccomplish field capture since we're just a furball squad...still, I guarantee you we would think of bringin some drunks even if we failed to sterilize the base.

I just found it to be amusing.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #388 on: July 09, 2003, 09:50:20 AM »
It's all part of "combat having a purpose".

The purpose is to fill Ch 1 with cries of "who brought the goon?", apparently.

;)

"Round and round went that big hamster wheel
 in and out went the big strat of steel
 in and out and in out until they cried
"it resets to the same map, I'm so-oh-oh suprised!"
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #389 on: July 09, 2003, 09:59:37 AM »
Just up and fly. It's really as fun as hovering over the bbs.

Does Skuzzy moderate the boards? Yup.

And ignore these constant Gameplay ideas that punt on the hour in the General Forum?

Yes.

If it was my job, I would  remove the stage these guys obviously need to promote themselves, and move it to the Gameplay forum.