Author Topic: AH Stuttering  (Read 973 times)

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
AH Stuttering
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2003, 01:37:55 AM »
Depends on how up to date your hardware and op system is.

Offline 2Hawks

• Nickel Member
      • http://daniel.clanbaker.com
AH Stuttering
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2003, 02:38:41 AM »
Originally posted by 214thCavalier
Depends on how up to date your hardware and op system is.

Originally posted by 2Hawks
This myth about older video drivers being more efficient or better cannot have been derived from a properly configured machine.

I rest my case.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
AH Stuttering
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2003, 07:04:52 AM »
The later Detonator drivers are optimized for newer cards.  Older GF2/GF3 cards benefit from the older drivers.  The 30.82 drivers seem to be the best overall drivers, and possibly the 42.01, for cards earlier than the GF4.
Overall stability and issuus with games (there does not seem to be a comprehensive list) are also alleviated with the earlier drivers.

The current (44.xx and 45.xx) Detonator drivers do have some problems (screen artifacts, excessive tearing,...) and many are reporting the problems.  Does not occur in all games, but they are there.

MX cards suffer the most from the newer drivers.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
AH Stuttering
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2003, 01:30:08 PM »
not sure if its allowed here, but try http://www.rage3d.com forums

the word stuttering + ATI is well known :(
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
AH Stuttering
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2003, 09:09:26 PM »
 No idea what else to do besides reformat agian:eek:

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
AH Stuttering
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2003, 11:05:57 PM »
have you tryied WinXP yet? ;)

have you got Dx9 installed? Since the Latest ATI's are for Dx9 only i guess so...

Try finding CAT 3.1 they seem better (for me) than any other CAT release.

good luck :)

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
AH Stuttering
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2003, 11:05:55 AM »
I had the same problem same system. If you have ground clutter on turn it off. Turn the sound acceleration down like shane said. Dump the catalist driver get the most up to date factory driver. Since you have installed the catalist already you may find that you cant alt tab to desk top and go back into game now with out the screen going into a white flashing screen that will only go away with a relog.
Army of Das Muppets     
Member DFC Furballers INC. If you cant piss with big dogs go run with the pack

Offline 2Hawks

• Nickel Member
The true and complete solution...
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2003, 09:39:36 PM »
Would be to replace anything ATI with a legitimate Video card made with an NVidia Chip.

Something Geforce3 or better. -=- NO MX Series -=-  I ran a Geforce 2 Ti for a bit and had a wonderful gaming experience @ 1080x1024 with 2x AA. Very Solid. In all my experience ATI has been nothing but garbage.

Sell the card on EBAY and get a real video card. End of problem.

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
AH Stuttering
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2003, 09:59:07 PM »
ATI is the best hardware out there right now, Nvidia just get good "scores" because they cheat on benchmarks etc.

Theres no way i would recommend anyone to get a Nvidia based gfx card right now.

I also have no problems with Alt tabbing.... :)

ATI9700pro here, and the best thing i ever brought :D

Offline 2Hawks

• Nickel Member
AH Stuttering
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2003, 11:51:44 PM »
Originally posted by Overlag
Nvidia just get good "scores" because they cheat on benchmarks etc.

LOL, I hear ppl screaming about cheating in the MA all the time for the same reason too. :)

I rest my Case.

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
AH Stuttering
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2003, 10:20:32 AM »
Originally posted by 2Hawks
LOL, I hear ppl screaming about cheating in the MA all the time for the same reason too. :)

I rest my Case.

have you been living under a rock lately? :p

but then, your talking about Geforce 4's so maybe you have......;)

I rest my Case :o
« Last Edit: July 03, 2003, 10:31:44 AM by Overlag »

Offline 2Hawks

• Nickel Member
Heh...
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2003, 01:56:13 PM »
There's so much case resting going on this place resembles a day care during naptime.

To be honest my Experience Ends @ GeForce 3 due to budget constraints personaly. But I have freinds w/ TRUE GeForce 4's and they love em.

Your experiences and/or knowledge MAY be coming from the MX Series GF4's which is nothing more than a sped/Beefed up GF2, Which I will say, works about as well as a dead whale noodle.

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
AH Stuttering
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2003, 05:38:42 PM »
i upgrade gfx once about every 2 new product cycles. thats about 1.5-2 years

My last card was a Geforce 3 (orignal model non TI) and was VERY good compaired to the latest ATI at the time. Its still great today in my dads pc.

Then i got my ATI9700pro about 7months ago, and am VERY pleased with the jump in speed, image quality, and support.

your basing your facts on drivers/hardware from the Geforce 3/ATI7500 area, when yes, ATI sucked badly back then.

But Nvidia lately have had to turn to "cheating" to make there top of the range card just perform level with a 9800pro, which is 6months old... Nvidias drivers have taken a dive in stability too lately.

Driver wise, ATI do have problems, but So do Nvidia. Some people are dam right unlucky when they get hardware. Thats the problem with PC's, everyone is different. Some work well, some dont. And while the past 3 releases of ati drivers (3.2,3.4 and 3.5) have done nothing good for me, i still cant recomend a Nvidia card to someone just because of that.

For me, it seems that ATI's 3.1 CAT's are the best all round driver. And the same goes for Nvidia drivers, you need to find what works best for you, my dads pc is still stuck on 28.** det's because all the latest cause wierd issues with his old games. For the person with the problems, try 3.1. Dont sell your card like these people said......;)

It wasnt a dig at you for having Geforce 3 gfx at all, wasnt ment that way in the slightest. They are still great cards and run all games at high enough fps (untill maybe Doom3? but im not a Doom3 fan....)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2003, 05:41:52 PM by Overlag »

Offline 2Hawks

• Nickel Member
Very well said...
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2003, 07:33:04 PM »
Quite a respectable response, and no dig was interpreted in your previous post.

Your very right about different hardware working for different people and hardware combinations. Some stuff just works better than others. I tend to lean towards the AMD / MSI direction myself, and find I have good luck with that hardware after tweaking in the BIOS a bit.

Alls good and to each his own, but if your having back luck with one particular vendor then perhaps is IS time to change something? If anything to see if your going to have any better luck. Another thing to consider is damage from ESD or perhaps just a defective card?

Check the Bios Settings lately?

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
AH Stuttering
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2003, 06:57:05 PM »
My major problem with AH after fitting a Radeon 9700 pro was stuttering making the game unplayable, BUT only with zone alarm pro installed.
Previuosly all was fine with several GF cards fitted.

In a hunt for faster fps i downloaded and flashed another bios onto my Radeon vid card.

Instant gain of 250 3Dmark 03 points, however more important for me the stuttering has gone !