Author Topic: AH Stuttering  (Read 975 times)

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
AH Stuttering
« on: June 27, 2003, 11:03:41 PM »
I tried Aces High for the first time tonight since I formatted the HD last week.

My frame rates are about 10 FPS less than before the reformat and I am getting a terrible stutter or pause about every half second that runs constantly.

I am using the same vid card and driver as before the install.  

Any ideas?

Athlon T-Bird 1 gig
512 MB RAM
Win 98se
ATI 8500 Vid Card
Onboard Sound (ASUS)

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
AH Stuttering
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2003, 11:22:49 PM »
I just installed the Catalyst 3.5 driver and the problem has not changed.........

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
AH Stuttering
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2003, 11:39:30 PM »
crank down sound acceleration (hardware) a notch?

run dxdiag.exe  under sound, look for a slider for hardware accleration and reduce it a notch.

other than that... perhaps reinstall dx maybe.  but try the first suggestion first.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
AH Stuttering
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2003, 11:22:52 AM »
Check to see if the video card is sharing an IRQ with something else.  That is usually the culprit.

As you did a fresh reinstall, is it safe to assume you installed the INF files for the motherboard?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
AH Stuttering
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2003, 02:10:31 PM »
Re IRQ sharing i currently have an add on Belkin USB 2.0 card sharing with my video card, damn thing cant get control of it at all.
Unfortunately i have to keep it as MB does not support enough usb ports for me.

Whats really annoying is i have open IRQ's waiting to be used but cannot prise that usb away from the video card.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
AH Stuttering
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2003, 06:34:44 PM »
I had a similar problem with an MSI motherboard when PCAlert was running.  You might check to see if your motherboard monitoring software, if you have any, is the culprit.

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
AH Stuttering
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2003, 09:32:39 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Check to see if the video card is sharing an IRQ with something else.  That is usually the culprit.

As you did a fresh reinstall, is it safe to assume you installed the INF files for the motherboard?

Tried the direct X thing and no change.  

No IRQ conflicts

Skuzzy what is an INF file and where would I get it?  I have no software for the MB.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2003, 09:42:01 PM by skernsk »

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
AH Stuttering
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2003, 11:52:37 PM »
I downloaded the latest drivers for my MB.  Still no change in AH

I got an error when disabling mip mapping.  It would not remain "unchecked" after I hit okay (Video Options).

After trying twice I got a message saying:

Initialization failed with 0
Unknown - 1

Would this be the problem?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
AH Stuttering
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2003, 06:48:16 AM »
Skernsk, did you happen to copy your configuration files, for AH, from a CD?  Check to see if they are marked read-only.  It sounds as if they are.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
AH Stuttering
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2003, 11:11:46 AM »
I did save the settings file and when I installed AH after reformatting I overwrote the settings file with the saved one.

However I've since uninstalled AH and reinstalled using no old saved files or folders.  I still have stuttering.

I did manage to uncheck mipmapping successfully with no error message but I still have the stuttering.

Still tweaking.....

Offline Excaliber

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
AH Stuttering
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2003, 02:48:16 PM »
I too had the stutter with PCAlert running in the background and with a MSI board. Try shutting down anything running in the background.
I know absolutely nothing about what makes these things tick but that is what I did to correct mine.

Offline 2Hawks

• Nickel Member
      • http://daniel.clanbaker.com
Refresh rate.
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2003, 04:11:13 PM »
I have found that tweaking with the refresh rate of the monitor will improve performance dramatically.

in XP...

In display properties, Click Advanced, then Adapter and press the button "List all modes". Find your resolution and  Try one setting higher on hertz than the previous. If it the display loses synch wait a few seconds and XP will switch it back. Sometimes when you get a corrupted display you must go back down to 60 to correct it, then try again.

Some ppl will tell you that this might damage your monitor, but I have been playing with Refresh Rates in Linux 4 8 yrs and have never had a problem. But just the same -- You break it, it's your fault. *Grin*

I currently have my screen tweaked like this at home and have no problems.

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
AH Stuttering
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2003, 05:50:52 PM »
I downloaded an older driver for my vid card but the problem is still there.  I'm not sure what to do next.  

How do i go throgh the IRQ's?

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
AH Stuttering
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2003, 06:50:12 PM »
May or may not help, but i recently changed to a Radeon 9700 pro, major stuttering the only thing that stops it is COMPLETELY uninstalling Zone alarm.

I had no issues with this on 3 successive Nvidia cards, put the Radeon in and it starts straight away.

The bad news for you is several people that i have seen have posted similar problems, unfortunately its usually a different piece of software that seems to conflict.

Nvidia cards may be slower but at least they were plug in and go play.

Offline 2Hawks

• Nickel Member
      • http://daniel.clanbaker.com
A myth needs debunking...
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2003, 09:48:18 PM »
I have tried using older video drivers for NVidia cards and have found that the latest *IS* Always the greatest as far as NVidia is concerned. This myth about older video drivers being more efficient or better cannot have been derived from a properly configured machine.

I have personally tested this myself.