Author Topic: Germany, Italy and Japan in WWII  (Read 1240 times)

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Germany, Italy and Japan in WWII
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2003, 11:13:07 PM »
Great response devious:

You say Japan Bombed Pearl Harbor ( in 1940) and that's why the US stopped selling oil to them

Then, you correct my spelling

An then you say Germany was going to pay for its war machine with "booty"

Then you tell me to email you because you are ignoring me.

You top it all off with a nice stereo typical view of myself.

LOL!

Not once did you offer a coherent argument against what I have posted.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2003, 11:42:34 PM »
Originally posted by NUKE
You truly do not know what you are talking about AKAK. Japan had been on a rampage for decades in Asia. They annexed Taiwan, annexed Korea in 1910, conqeured Manchuria in 1931 and invaded China in 1937, then withdrew from the league of nations.

The US finnally responded, after Japan's invasion of China and their abandonment of their economic treaty with the US in 1940 by prohibiting the export of some oil and scrap metal to Japan....hardly threatening Japan's existance.

Japan's survival was not threatened by the US refusing to sell oil and scap metal to Japan......they were gobbling up countries left and right for years by then. What would you suggest we have done, send them more oil and give them arms?

Japan was a complete beligerant. The US policy was to be nuetral towards all beligerants. We did not want to get into any war.

Japan's very existance was threatened by the embargo we placed on them.  Japan has very little natural resources and is entirely dependent on outside sources for oil and almost outside dependent for steel.  That's one of the reasons (besides historical) Japan invaded China (to secure natural resources needed) and annexed Korea.  After we placed the oil embargo on them, that meant they no longer had a source of fuel and which then prompted the Japanese to invade and conquer the Dutch Indies, to secure more natural resources (oil and natural gas).  

Whether or not we wanted to enter the war is not the point.  The point is our foreign policy started us on a course where war was the inevitable out come.  Whether the policy was right or wrong isn't the point either, just the outcome.

Meanwhile we have Germany, completley re-armed ,not helpless .....not humiliated any longer. Why did Germany feel the need to begin annexing land, then just plain invading countries? You think it's justified because they lost WWI and had to pay repairations? Germany had rebuilt itself by 1939, so why did they have to go to war? Germany was a complete evil horror come to life, and the US had NOTHING to do with the path they chose for themselves.

If you were to read any history books on the causes of the 2nd World War, you'd find out that one of the motivating reasons behind Hitler was to erase the humilation suffered at Versailles.  Why else do you think he forced the French to sign their surrender in the same rail road car the Allies forced the Germans to sign the Treaty of Versailles in 20 years earlier?  Why do you think most of the Prussian Wermacht general officers followed along?  While some did it because they believed the crap shoveled by Hitler, a great deal of them (Rommel and Cannaris were some of these) believed that Hitler would erase the humiliation of Versailles and restore Germany to its rightful place.  This is also another reason why Hitler had so much home grown support.

The US had about 0% blame for Japan and Germany being war-mongering fanatics bent on bloody carnage and land grabbing. Don't ever try to peddle that garbage to me, cause Im not buying it.

War would have been inevitable with Hitler's Germany, there's no doubt about it but to say that our actions on how we (the allies) dealt with Germany after the 1st World War didn't influence what was to happen 20 years later, flies pretty much in the face of historical evidence.  

Same thing with Japan.  Competing national interests would have led to an inevitable clash between the U.S. and Japan, but again to say that our policies towards Japan didn't influence events that led up to the war again flies in the face of historical evidence.

Go read history yourself AKAK. I have read plenty about WWII. One book, Churchill's memoirs, gives a lot of first hand political insight into the causes of WWII , from Churchill's first hand  experiences in WWI and throughout WWII.

Then I'm really suprised that you find this as some sort of surprise.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2003, 11:54:06 PM »
AKAK, I'll sum up your assinine argument:

1. Japan couldn't exist, so they "had" to invade China and annex Korea ( pefectly good reason to do so) So a new precident was set.......take what you want by force.

2. The US threatened Japan's very existance ( by not selling oil to it)

3. So the US caused Japan to attack it's neighbors in 1910, 1931 and in 1937 because we stopped selling oil to them in 1940.

I can see now that Japan was justified in it's actions.

As for Germany and Hitler, they chose their own path based on their own f*cked up views, nothing more. Nothing justifies what those bastards did.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2003, 11:58:32 PM by NUKE »

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2003, 02:44:31 AM »
Originally posted by NUKE
AKAK, I'll sum up your assinine argument:

1. Japan couldn't exist, so they "had" to invade China and annex Korea ( pefectly good reason to do so) So a new precident was set.......take what you want by force.

2. The US threatened Japan's very existance ( by not selling oil to it)

3. So the US caused Japan to attack it's neighbors in 1910, 1931 and in 1937 because we stopped selling oil to them in 1940.

I can see now that Japan was justified in it's actions.

As for Germany and Hitler, they chose their own path based on their own f*cked up views, nothing more. Nothing justifies what those bastards did.

For someone that claims to be so highly educated and well read, it's quite amazing how little you know.

Read Mien Kampf and then come back and say that the way the allies treated Germany after World War I when we forced them to sign the Treaty of Versailles didn't influence Hitler's thought and motivation.  

Ack-Ack

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2003, 03:12:09 AM »
Lol ya, shame on us for forcing them to sign a treaty.  we should have let them continue to make war.

Do you really believe all that you read in Mein Kampf?  Seriously?
lol
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2003, 03:21:29 AM »
Why not believe Mein Kampf if you're wanting to learn more about Hitler's motivations? Versailles was central to Hitler's perceived grievances. With 20/20 hindsight, you could say the treaty was a recipe for disaster without any foundation in reality. But hindsight doesn't exist when you're trying to satisfy a yearning for veangeance held by your people, who have suffered millions of casualties in the worst war ever seen on the face of the planet.

Hitler and his ludicrous extremist beliefs were on the fringe until 1929. With the Wall Street crash, the German middle classes (who had previously viewed Hitler as a lunatic) lost everything - no other part of German society was hit as hard, since it's the middle classes that hold the savings etc. Hitler offered a way out and they bought into. Within 2 years Hitler's popularity had soared to levels he could only dream of prior to 1929. He was made Chancellor and the rest is history.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2003, 03:25:27 AM »
It wasn't Hitler's motivations we were discussing.  Thanks for disagreeing though, I can ALWAYS count on you for that.

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2003, 03:27:30 AM »
Hey Nuke! Why do you whine so much all of the sudden???
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2003, 03:55:29 AM »
It wasn't Hitler's motivations we were discussing.

Ahem...

Ack-Ack wrote:

"Read Mien Kampf and then come back and say that the way the allies treated Germany after World War I when we forced them to sign the Treaty of Versailles didn't influence Hitler's thought and motivation."

You wrote:

"Do you really believe all that you read in Mein Kampf? Seriously?

I wrote:

"Why not believe Mein Kampf if you're wanting to learn more about Hitler's motivations? Versailles was central to Hitler's perceived grievances."
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2003, 04:29:16 AM »
Originally posted by Steve
Lol ya, shame on us for forcing them to sign a treaty.  we should have let them continue to make war.

Do you really believe all that you read in Mein Kampf?  Seriously?
lol

Considering I never have and never will believe in the political and social philosophical drivel that's in Mein Kampf, it is however a good insight into his mind and what he was thinking and more importantly, what helped shape his twisted little mind.  And whether you and Crumb Cake deny it or not, the force signing of Germany to the Treaty of Versailles was considered a supreme national insult to Germany and was the back-bone of Hitler's motivation to create his Third Reich.

Ack-Ack
« Last Edit: July 02, 2003, 04:38:38 AM by Ack-Ack »

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2003, 04:38:02 AM »
Originally posted by Steve
It wasn't Hitler's motivations we were discussing.  Thanks for disagreeing though, I can ALWAYS count on you for that.

We were.  Crumb says that the US was totally innocent in the reasons why World War II started and I pointed out it wasn't, by virtue of the United State's participation in forcing Germany to sign the Treaty of Versailles which was the motivating factor behind not only Hitler's rise to power but his motivation in world conquest.

Ack-Ack

Offline Manedew

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2003, 06:17:19 AM »
more or less ack ack is right on .. you don't know objective history if you think otherwise

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2003, 07:15:45 AM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
We were.  Crumb says that the US was totally innocent in the reasons why World War II started and I pointed out it wasn't, by virtue of the United State's participation in forcing Germany to sign the Treaty of Versailles which was the motivating factor behind not only Hitler's rise to power but his motivation in world conquest.

Ack-Ack

Absolute bull****! President Wilson was totallly opposed to the punitive spirit of the Versailles treaty. Most of what we know as the excessive punishments came from the wishes of the vindictive French who demanded such outrageous conditions - for example taking the majority of German colonies. In fact the US and british severely warned France about whayt they were creating when they treated germany so harshly.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2003, 12:55:14 PM »
Thanks Grun, I was wondering if I was the only one aware of this.
the U.S. was vastly opposed to much of the treaty.

AKAK, I misunderstood your reference to Mein Kampf, my apologies.

Now your quote about Japan fighting for survival.  AKAK, I really think you should reconsider that.  Japan was an imperialistic nation that had been making war in Asia for several years before the U.S took any punitive actions.  Very simply put, the U.S cut off oil to Japan and told them to cease their imperialistic designs or they would get no more.  Japan wasn't fighting for survival at all, they were fighting for their ability to expand their empire. Had Japan not began conquering non-aggressive neighbors, the U.S. wouldn't have taken any action whatsoever.

I agree that the treaty of Versaille was far too choking in the big picture.  Yes the French were responsible for the harshest of terms.  But.. and this is a big but, I can't really blame them.  Imagine if WWI, and keep in mind the kind of trench warfare involved there, had been fought on your soil and millions of your population/troops had been killed. My point:  The treaty may have been untenable, but considering what the French had just gone through, not completely inexcusable.