Author Topic: How can I play if I'm in Toronto?  (Read 414 times)

Offline Twist

• Nickel Member
How can I play if I'm in Toronto?
« on: July 26, 2003, 05:05:29 AM »
I may be going up to Toronto to babysit some new equipment under construction for a new contract we landed here at the manufacturing plant I work in. I could be there up to 4 months. 12 hour shifts will be the norm but I will still have spare time. Sure would be nice to use that time creatively and play my fav sim.

So I was wondering, who provides the best 'net access in Toronto and will it cost be over 50 bucks a month? My boss has agreed to foot that much of the bill for internet in the corporate apartment they have set up.

Will customs be a pain in the butt when they see my killer PC and 20" monitor?

And to anyone in or near Toronto who answers this, I'm buying til ya hit the floor. If your not near there but don't mind the drive, help me out and I'll still buy. :D

Thanks in advance.

Razer7
Razer

Hellcat FG

"They porked the Hellcat? Why did they do that?"

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2003, 07:55:52 AM »
I lived in Toronto for 11 years..almost 12.  But, I left a number of years ago so I can't help you on ISPs.  

Great city though...you will enjoy it.

Where in the city will you be?

Customs shouldn't be a problem as you will be leaving, with the computer, in 4 months.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Makofan

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2003, 08:40:05 AM »
Bell controls High Speed Internet access in the city - Home DSL costs 39.95/month (about $25 US)

Rogers Cable provides Cable access to the internet for the same price.  I think both are 3 Mbs connections.

Choose either, they both are easy home installs and work fine.  I use Bell in my home city of London, and just finished installing Bell for some of my off-site clients.  If it is a business phone number, you have to pay business rates (59.95/month) but it is a better connection

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2003, 08:53:08 AM »
I use rogers cable in Oshawa, about 30 mins east of toronto.  Works fine, and yeah its around $40 a month, not sure how much it is if you don't get cable tv too..

Oh thats canuck bux... so alot less than $50 USD

SKurj

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2003, 09:22:14 AM »
So I was wondering, who provides the best 'net access in Toronto and will it cost be over 50 bucks a month? My boss has agreed to foot that much of the bill for internet in the corporate apartment they have set up.

I likve SW of Toronto. I would recommend Rogers Cable for tht best Hi Speed access. (about $40.00 Cdn/mo)

Regarding customs, I believe you can register your "expensive items" like computers, golf clubs etc with US Customs before your move. They should give you a card or stickers so that Canadian Customs will ignore your personal things.

Enjoy your stay in Canada.

Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline airbumba

• Silver Member
I used to be a fatalist,
but that part of me died.

Offline Twist

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2003, 05:02:35 PM »
One can always count on this community for info like this. Many thanks.

I'll be near the city of Elmira at the Sanyo Machine Works. Hopefully I can find a good pub or two in that area.
Razer

Hellcat FG

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2003, 05:34:28 PM »
If you'll be living in the heart of Toronto, bell sympatico is probably your best bet. Other places you should go with rogers cable (ugh). If you're in the Aurora/Oak Ridges area, go with ACi.
Army of Muppets

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2003, 09:19:06 PM »
hehehe City of Elmira!! lol

Wait and see...

SKurj

Offline Twist

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2003, 02:57:38 AM »
Uh oh, lemme guess.....

They have no stoplights or pubs and you have to bow to the clock tower each time you cross the street.

or..

The mayor's name is Landrew but no one has ever seen him.

Can't be THAT bad, if I can get on the net and fly I'll be fine. I can always bring a few cases back to the apartment. Order a few pizza's and I'm set...hey...wait a minute....your not saying they don't have pizza delivery there are you??? :eek:

I could deal with the first two possibilities but no pizza delivery is just too primitive for even me.

AAAAAAAUUUUUGGGHHHHHHH....

:D
Razer

Hellcat FG

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2003, 07:41:46 AM »
Well Elmira isn't exactly Toronto...it a couple of hours west of the city, and north of Kitchener.

You are in the boonies my friend.  ;)

Still, if you are in Elmira when Octoberfest comes around you won't have far to get home.  :)
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2003, 09:26:22 AM »
hehe

They have at least 1 pub I'm sure, and pizza delivery +)  and more than 1 stoplight.

SKurj

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2003, 12:27:02 PM »
Oh, I guess I should have read the whole thread... Elmira, lol. I hope you like dial-up ;)
Army of Muppets