Author Topic: An alternative form of flight..  (Read 1220 times)

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
An alternative form of flight..
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2003, 02:21:17 PM »
Speaking of R/C helicopters, a work colleague of mine saw a club exhibition. He expressed an interest, thought he'd like to buy one. So he asked about joining. They said sure come and we'll instruct you etc. He asked  how long it would take to learn to fly an R/C helicopter properly.  'A year' he was told! He was staggered. You could learn to fly a full size chopper in that time with a fixed wing licence thrown in for good measure.

I toyed with getting into R/C flying as a teenager. But had no money. In the end all I got was a six foot span balsa glider costing an amazingly low £10 sterling. No radio control but it flew a couple of times before diving into a 3 foot wide drainage ditch. Six feet into three feet won't go.  

In the end I got into full size flying and never looked back. Coincidently yesterday a copy of 'Model Airplane News' came in the mail. I don't know if it was a freebie or a mistake. Looking through it, what caught my eye is the new 'schoolyard scale' models. Electric powered, 30 inch span costing as little as 50 bucks. I particularly liked the P51's and the F86 complete with ducted fan. Even an A10 with two ducted fans.  I'm intrigued. They are worth a look. I can't be bothered with all those gas engines, glow plugs and all that hoi polloi.  I want instant gratification. :p

By the way here's an accident report involving a runaway R/C aircraft and an airport landing. Amazing stuff, scary too. Worse than tangling with neighbour's car. :eek:

http://www.transport.ie/viewitem.asp?id=3606&lang=ENG&loc=1288

Offline MwXX

• Copper Member
An alternative form of flight..
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2003, 11:00:17 PM »
Love this thread!!

Got into Slope Soaring one year and was really getting into it deeply, when I decided to Build a P-51 "Slope Soarer" For those who dont know...these are R/C planes..Without Engine and can only be flown in EXTREMELY heavy wind...LOL

Well, a northen came in early one day, just enough to get the Pony up to speed and keep it alive for a while with the cliff thermals....

1st flight, great.....all alone...cool wind, pony flying great.

2nd flight...got a couple cars watching me now...pressure on to land it at high speed with people around...doing good.

3rd flight...Kids everywhere watching...lot full, PONY KICKIN TAIL, WINDS UP to 35+ now....Any and every manuever working...KIDS loving it ..."getting cocky now"

4th flight....hands sweating...talking to people, kids begging for me to up it again....One last toss into the wind....Pony nose down to the water gaining speed.....roll out to ridge and thermal....up to speed, and play time....listening to the kids screaming...doing every move the kids want...."HEAD the size of a pumkin now"
Beep Beep Beep...low battery time to bring it in......1st pass...too many people watching in landing path, kids everywhere....scanning for place to bing this Pony in HOT. Landing spot picked out...trouble. Have to take it over ridge, behind a house and over the road to get the only available piece of land to put her down without killing anyone....so downwind she goes....moving FAST NOW...over the house and the Pony catches a thermal..nose up she goes...LOSS OF ALOT of speed ...shes coming down.....SHORT of final! Approach looking good....losing alt and speed fast now... got to set her down...not going to make a "perfect" landing. wheeew, down on the street, 2 lanes mind you, no traffic.....thank goodness!!!!!!!!!

Remember the 2 lanes?

Son of a $#@%^$#@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 lanes of traffic and JOE BLOW looks right at me...smiles and NEVER changes lanes!!!!!!!

Farewell Pony.....2 servos, and battery pack, reciever....:D

This still haunts me...and I remember the driver and the car...

could this be you? LOL:D

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: At least you didn't lose a leg...
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2003, 11:07:15 PM »
Originally posted by gofaster
Wait!  I saw this in a movie once... where all the machines come to life and try to kill the humans at a truckstop diner.  Had Emilio Estevez in it.  I think it was based on a Stephen King story... what's the name...what's the name... can't recall.  Sorry.

Yeah I liked that movie too. Loved the ending radio report; "The UFO was destroyed by a Russian weather satellite which happened to be armed with nuclear warheads". LOL, "just happened".
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."