Author Topic: An alternative form of flight..  (Read 1219 times)

Online nopoop

• Gold Member
An alternative form of flight..
« on: July 30, 2003, 11:11:13 PM »
Been exploring alternative life styles and found one that might be up the old ally.

AN OLD CODGER R/C DUDE !!!

I studied up, hit the field and "absorbed".

First thing I realized is there is a particular style of dress when doin the R/C thing.

I went out and bought some kaki shorts and sandels. The most important item of apparal seemed to be those "straw" type hats that golfers wear. With the holes in them so the lack of hair shows through ?? YOUKNOWTHEKINE.

Started hangin out with the codgers and learned the lingo. Glow plugs and CG's, frequencies and fuel mixtures...

Jeez I got thousands of hours flying sims and once upon a time I was a real honest to goodness real plane renter..

Cake.

Sent away for one of those "Ready to fly" trainers with a 6 foot wing span with the engine pre-run, ready to go. Put it together. Got my "Field box" with a power panel, starter, fuel pump..

We ain't messin around here..

So the time has come, planes ready to go, field box is on the curb out front of the house..

I slip in..to THE shorts, sandels and the hat..

Properly attired I stroll out with my plane..

Brother John straddles the beast so it won't move, and using all these thingies with wires and stuff I bought..

I BROUGHT IT TO LIFE !!!!!!!

WHOOT !!

I ran it though the paces, full throttle, slam it to idle and it's purring like a kitten..

Jeez this is GREAT !!!

So feeling full of myself with MY plane purring like a kitten I says to Brother John..

"Let here go, I'll taxi her around.."

It went well for four or five seconds...but the throttle was too high and .. then I got mixed up.

There was an altercation with the neighbors car...

I'll keep you posted..
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Deviant

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2003, 11:56:11 PM »
Nopoop,

If you dont already have an instructor lined up and if you arent too far from Ione. I'll help ya out for free. I've trained about 30 guys to fly RC.  Still got all my fingers too, In spite of that Graupner 3 blader on the YS 120 in my Raven. ;)

prillr  aka   fli

Offline fullback

• Copper Member
At least you didn't lose a leg...
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2003, 12:02:04 AM »
In the news today from Japan:

SAGA -- A famer lost his leg Wednesday in a freak accident when a radio-controlled helicopter he was operating came crashing into him, police said.

The injured man, Narichika Aoki, was operating a crop-dusting helicopter over rice paddies in Takeo, Saga Prefecture, when he suddenly lost control of the aircraft shortly before 8 a.m.

The helicopter flew straight into the 35-year-old man and cut off his right leg with its rotor blade, police said.

Complete story at source:http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/news/20030730p2a00m0dm024000c.html

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Re: At least you didn't lose a leg...
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2003, 09:29:07 AM »
Originally posted by fullback
In the news today from Japan:

SAGA -- A famer lost his leg Wednesday in a freak accident when a radio-controlled helicopter he was operating came crashing into him, police said.

The injured man, Narichika Aoki, was operating a crop-dusting helicopter over rice paddies in Takeo, Saga Prefecture, when he suddenly lost control of the aircraft shortly before 8 a.m.

The helicopter flew straight into the 35-year-old man and cut off his right leg with its rotor blade, police said.

Complete story at source:http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/news/20030730p2a00m0dm024000c.html

Wait!  I saw this in a movie once... where all the machines come to life and try to kill the humans at a truckstop diner.  Had Emilio Estevez in it.  I think it was based on a Stephen King story... what's the name...what's the name... can't recall.  Sorry.

Offline -Concho-

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2003, 03:17:14 PM »
Maximum Overdrive

Online nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2003, 07:30:54 PM »
Fli good to see ya here. Still lining up an instructor at the local field. Just wanted to get familier with starting and driving it around on the ground so I wouldn't be a COMPLETE geek at the field. Hopefully this weekend poop will fly..
nopoop

Offline Deviant

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2003, 08:21:57 PM »
OK then,
 If ya wanna practice go get Tower Hobbies "Real Flight"
R/C Simulator. The 1st Time I thought I'd just "taxi around" to practice........I ended up with a Goldberg Falcon 56 Mk2 that was AIRBORNE! Can you say Insta Solo??

I landed it without damage (with a little luck) and promptly packed it back up till I could hook up with an instructor.

Fli

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2003, 10:04:21 PM »
3 things poop.

1- You almost make that hobby sound appealing
2- Great dogfighting with you around 95 tonight. Hooligan, Apache too.

3- Thank you for the addition to my sig.

If you need some compound for your neighbors car, let me know.

Online nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2003, 10:21:33 PM »
Muck that was a pretty good fight goin on there. Those two fields and the fields opposite in the "smile" produce some good ones.

Lotsa reversal and overshoot work. Now if I can just get 50's mounted on that Spitty V I'll be able to pop'um on the go-though..

Hoolie gave me homework.

Good fun.

Fli, I could of swore I saw a Prillr in that fight ??
« Last Edit: July 31, 2003, 10:24:20 PM by nopoop »
nopoop

Offline Honch

• Copper Member
      • http://www.wesayni.com
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2003, 09:01:45 AM »
You are right nopoop - that was great at 95.

You guys sure know how to find the furballs.  Its gotten to the point that I log in and do a goto for you or Apache or Lazs and it puts me at the shortest funnest fight.

-S- the BKs for saving me the research time!

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2003, 09:29:16 AM »
Back in the day of my RC flyin, I bought my first scale P-51 Mustang...it was beautiful. Paid 500.00(1979 mind you) and installed the radio.

Now I had flown for a couple of years, but never a tail dragger. My bud told me he would train me....said to meet him at an ultra lite field we flew out of. Told me to only practice taxiing the plane around until he got there.

So that's what I was doing until I got a little fast and thought to myself...hey, I can do this. I added power, the tail came up...I pulled back, firewalled it....snap!!! Into the ground it went.

I sold it to my friend that very night for 250.00.

Moral of the story is this....get help:)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2003, 09:42:24 AM »
Originally posted by muckmaw
2- Great dogfighting with you around 95 tonight. Hooligan, Apache too.

Oh yeah.. that's how it starts.

"Maybe just a little taste".

"Gee, I think I'll try some of that again".

"Certainly has an interesting flavor, doesn't it?"

How quickly and subtly it can come to RULE YOUR LIFE.

Run away! Run away!

That's the DARK SIDE you're fooling with there chum.

It will quickly surround you, embrace you.... OWN you!

"FUR! FUR! MORE FUR! I must have FUR!"

;)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2003, 09:50:44 AM »
Had a friend that spent a grand on a helicopter. He busted it up pretty good on his first try and sold it to me for $500. I repaired it for less than $50 and tried to teach myself how to hover. I can easily see how one of those could take a leg off. Anyhow, two crashes later I sold the radio for $100 and wrote the rest off as a learning experience. I shoulda stuck with r/c gliders. Someday I'll get back into it.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Honch

• Copper Member
      • http://www.wesayni.com
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2003, 09:51:46 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
Oh yeah.. that's how it starts.

"Maybe just a little taste".

"Gee, I think I'll try some of that again".

"Certainly has an interesting flavor, doesn't it?"

How quickly and subtly it can come to RULE YOUR LIFE.

Run away! Run away!

That's the DARK SIDE you're fooling with there chum.

It will quickly surround you, embrace you.... OWN you!

"FUR! FUR! MORE FUR! I must have FUR!"

;)

"What a strange person"

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2003, 09:56:16 AM »
Actually, I logged 1 hour less this month in fighters than bombers.

This is nothing new for me. Somtimes I just need a quick fix, and don't have time or energy for a 1 hour bomber mission.

Anyway, the "Dark" side will not be a problem for me after the number of times I had my arnold handed to me last night.

If they make a fighter with guns that fire backward, I'll be in great shape.;)