Author Topic: Comments on Micro-Warps  (Read 430 times)

Offline ygsmilo

• Silver Member
Comments on Micro-Warps
« on: September 18, 2000, 10:18:00 AM »
Have you guys been experiencing a lot of these micro-warps when you are getting below D4 ?  

My gunnery already sucks but it seems that many times this weekend when I got in position to fire my target would do those little warps and I would miss.  It had nothing to do with my target as the only time that he warped was at that short range.  Also they were only on rear aspect shots not frontal (new word?)

Your comments would be appriciated.

------------------
JG 2's current cannon magnet

Milo

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Comments on Micro-Warps
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2000, 10:24:00 AM »
Hiya Milo,
Friday afternoon was a 'micro-warp' day , as it usually is for my Earthlink connection, Sat. was good all day, and Sunday afternoon, I again experienced micro-warps...I think its' my ISP.

Cheers,

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Comments on Micro-Warps
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2000, 10:53:00 AM »
 I think micro warps will be around until we all have 1gig bandwidth.  There's too much info going accross the net and it needs to be a continuous stream or you'll get micro warps.  Any dumped or late packets are going to cause it (im 99.999999999% sure of this)

When I enter a large furball I get micro warps even though I have a 30ms ping and am only 13 hops from the server. We will have Utopia one day  

Udie

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Comments on Micro-Warps
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2000, 11:48:00 AM »
Try to figure out just when the Microwarps happen.  For me, they are predominant when the aircraft goes under my nose cowl.  The aircaft then disappears for a half second then reappears.  I really notice it on shots where we are both turning.

I actually believe it to be caused by the disappearing Icon enhancement.

The warping isn't so much a problem as the outright disappearing.

AKDejaVu

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Comments on Micro-Warps
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2000, 12:20:00 PM »
warps are usually created by lost packets or too high packet size I believe.. (some proxy or such in the middle.. just figures)

You can try to cut microwarps by lowering your MTU settings (At least this did work with WarBirds and Dawn of Aces for sure)
Usually default MTU is somewhere in thousands, I would prefer to use some lower setting like 512.

This is just a hint for them who wants to try, so no need to come tell me "that does not work" if you think so.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
Comments on Micro-Warps
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2000, 12:23:00 PM »
What I am seeing is not micro warps.  The one thing about micro warps is that the smoothing code still renders the aircraft.  In my situation, the aircraft is no longer drawn.  It completely disappears.

AKDejaVu

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Comments on Micro-Warps
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2000, 12:41:00 PM »
I'm getting micro warps. Con is in close; less than 300 yards; and manuvering. I'm saddled up; system shows him starting a reverse, then a plit second later; the attitude has increased, and the con is 5-10 degrees off position from last display.

Micro warp. incessant. annoying. really pissin me off.  

Seems to happen when the servers/HTC are well populated.. certainly predominant when more than 100 flyers are in the MA.. which is every night now.

Fighters are becoming virtually unflyable.

ARRRRRRRGH!! I finally get a energy model on the FM that I really; really like.. and micro warps make it a less than satisfying session. (i'm being kind here)

Hang
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Comments on Micro-Warps
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2000, 01:34:00 PM »
Akdejavu, do you perchance have zbuffering enabled? if so turn it off, i.e. uncheck it.

HiTech

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
Comments on Micro-Warps
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2000, 01:55:00 PM »
No HT.. I don't.

Nothing has changed with my configuration since 1.04 came out.  NOTHING.

Now, planes disappear.

AKDejaVu

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Comments on Micro-Warps
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2000, 04:54:00 PM »
HT,

Add me to te list of micro warps too please. Before 1.04 I never had warps other than some players with really bad connections. Now as soon as I close on a plane under d.4 it starts jerking around and changing headings. Noticwe it doesn't fly away I just see the thing starting to rotate as if it were spining in place THEN it warps away a bit. This is NOT the normal aircraft spin. It is rotating as if you were looking from above and the plane was on a phonograph turntable. Occasionally it will rotate along its axis like a roll manuever but the spining and jerking are new since the last version.

I have a P3 500MHZ, 128 Megs RAM, Voodoo 3 3000 AGP 16megs video at max resolution (not 800 x 600) and a DSL connection. The connection was modified for small packets at the advice of a friend. I can't tell yet if it has made a difference.

Mav

[This message has been edited by Maverick (edited 09-18-2000).]
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
Comments on Micro-Warps
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2000, 05:32:00 PM »
I don't know what it is could be my framerate too  
wasting alot off ammo

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
Comments on Micro-Warps
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2000, 10:30:00 PM »
Deja does it happen when icon  redraw as AC flys by canopy?

I'v seen that and sometime they just disappear, but i'm low end so figured it was a fps hit.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
Comments on Micro-Warps
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2000, 11:27:00 PM »
Torque, It usually happens when the plane goes from my gunsight area to below my nose cowling then back into the sight area.  The plane does not re-draw the instant it is back in the gunsight.. but a moment later.  Thus.. a micro warp.

It definately seems to coincide with the disappearing Icon.

AKDejaVu

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
Comments on Micro-Warps
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2000, 01:22:00 AM »
It usaully happens when icons reappears after disappearing behind cockpit frame. Or under 200yds. My connx looks very well and my system has enuff horsepower to run everything (PIII-800 and GeForce2 GTS). Yesterday I flew a Spitfire to defend a base and it was VERY difficult to aim at enemies at 200yds and less .... a lot of stops and go's ...
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

funked

Comments on Micro-Warps
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2000, 01:25:00 AM »
My problems appear to be framerate related.  If there are a lot of bandits or explosions or smoke I can not stay on him.  I need an upgrade I guess. P2@400 V770 Ultra

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 09-19-2000).]