Author Topic: Finally : First time I p*ssed people off by shooting them down!  (Read 2453 times)

Offline hogenbor

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.lookupinwonder.nl
After a year of subscription I finally managed it, I pissed not one, but two people off by shooting them down!

Had a day off, plenty of time on my hands so I logged on. Found some action around A84/83, got jumped by an La-7 I never saw and was shot down, managed to kill a B-17. Usual stuff for me.

The I took off in a P-51D from A85 with 100% fuel (no drop tanks available). Got to A85 to give air cover but by the time I got there I only saw a Spit way above me. Climbed away a bit but he gave chase. A friendly carrier was situated conveniently in the vicinity so I dived towards that and the Spit broke. After a few minutes of cat and mouse he went away, I climbed until I got some altitude, found him on radar and started chasing him again. After again some minutes I saw him, he dove to the deck and broke again. Tried to hit him but missed a few passes. Good pilot. Still had E advantage so every time he tried to get away I followed him. Then two of his friends turned up, one in a N1K2 so I gave up on the Spit and flew back towards A84. The N1K2 kept on following me but with my superior speed I just kept him at arms length. I don't want to fight a N1K2 close in with a heavy P-51D. This went on for quite a long time until I dragged him up to 17k(!). I even was AFK for several minutes but he didn't want to give up. Then I saw a second red dot appear above A84 and as I had plenty of separation by now I reversed, and went full speed towards A84. After a long chase I spotted a second N1K2 heading for home (A83) and on the deck. I closed in fast from his dead six, he never saw me and blasted him into oblivion. Then I climbed back up and headed towards A84 again, dangerously low on fuel by now. The second N1K2 was still around, hovering above the field and trying to vulch a guy called Deadrabit. I figured 'what the hell' and went for him (the N1K2, not Deadrabit), he broke but I managed to shoot his wing off with a high deflection shot. Seconds after that I ran out of fuel, glided in and made a succesful landing.

But after this the two N1K2 pilots (name withheld) started calling me a wuss and a kiddie because I ran away and refused to fight on their Nikidweeb terms. I admit to being a wuss but there is no denial that I did shoot them both down. I just fought on my own terms and survived. Isn't that the whole idea of surviving as a fighter pilot? There might be people who can win a fight in a Fw-190A-8 when cornered by 5 A6M's, but I'm not one of them.

Still
« Last Edit: August 08, 2003, 06:05:31 AM by hogenbor »

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Finally : First time I p*ssed people off by shooting them down!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2003, 06:12:35 AM »
Hell I piss off people all the time and I don't even have to shoot at them!

Offline hogenbor

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.lookupinwonder.nl
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2003, 07:15:54 AM »
Me too... that's why I longed for the day I could manage that in AH by simply shooting people down, not by being quite unbelievably socially inept like some people I see on-line and on the boards. And by this I really don't mean the two Niki pilots.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2003, 08:25:35 AM »
Your obviously scared to death of the N1K and probably will never learn how to beat it with your current strategy.

You didn't fight them on your "own terms" ... you just picked them off when they were engaged with something else or RTBing.

You drained the tanks on a P51 and all you had to show for it was two kills which really didn't involve any fighting ... what did you learn ACM-wise on that sortie ? ... nothing .

edit : uncalled for line ... sorry
« Last Edit: August 08, 2003, 10:26:49 AM by SlapShot »
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2003, 08:43:20 AM »
WTG Hogen..

You used every advantage your plane and your situation gave you, and won.

I would have done the same thing. Pehaps you did not learn the knife-fight style of dogfighting, but your sortie was successful in keeping with the spirit of Aces High. Win your engagement, and survive.

Using a P-51 to turn fight with a NIKI is just suicide. Why give someone an easy kill.

The most question to ask is, did you have fun?

Not, "Did you conform to what other people see as bravado".

Offline WestyAH

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2003, 09:10:16 AM »
He is not the wuss. The pile-its that whined on channel one most definately are.

WTG Hogenbor!!  Any time you can make an opponant cry due to defeat on channel one is fantastic . But to get two of them to do it is sensational.  Wel done. !!

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2003, 09:11:46 AM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
Your obviously scared to death of the N1K and probably will never learn how to beat it with your current strategy.

You didn't fight them on your "own terms" ... you just picked them off when they were engaged with something else or RTBing.

You drained the tanks on a P51 and all you had to show for it was two kills which really didn't involve any fighting ... what did you learn ACM-wise on that sortie ? ... nothing .

At least you admit to being a "wuss".

bahh dont talk crap. This may be true if you flew like this when you had the same aircraft but when its a case of turn around fight and die or keep climbing untill you have a safe route to attack then you did the exact right thing. IN MA everyone and anyone wants to grab a kill often shooting already killed planes to do it. Slapshot if everyone was to allow fights to proceed in an orderly manner in MA and everyone was of equal skill then you would be correct but it simply isnt. You say he hasnt learned anything about ACM but he WILL one day when he isnt able to evade a bad situation. If he eventually gets as good as you obviously are (>koff< ahem :)) then he can start using the P51 to itsfull potential. Remember this guy is saying its the first time anyones actually had a go at him for beating them.

If you ask me those 2 nik pilots were doing the exact same thing when they broke to the deck if we go by your way of thinking.

just for fun slapshot, lets say there were 2 of you! one flying the NIK and the other flying the P51 in this fight mentioned. which would be the wuss and who would be the better pilot? :D (btw thats a retorical question) Im just trying to make a point ;)

Hogan you carry on mate and enjoy yourself. When you gain enough knowledge of that aircraft you can start doing special moves but until then you are flying within your limits and it seems being rewarded for it by landing alive with 2 kills. I wouldnt maybe fly like this now but I did once and I could probably do with flying like it again lol. Ive turned into a overly aggressive, impatiant pilot now and often make mistakes just because i want to try out my latest moves. It can go too far the other way too. If you can ballance aggression with patience you'll have it made ;)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2003, 09:15:01 AM by hazed- »

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2003, 09:17:36 AM »
You used every advantage your plane and your situation gave you, and won.

Instead of "won" you should have said "ran".

I would have done the same thing. Pehaps you did not learn the knife-fight style of dogfighting, but your sortie was successful in keeping with the spirit of Aces High. Win your engagement, and survive.

I don't think you would have done the same thing.

Yes ... he learned nothing.

Are you implying that I don't care to rtb and don't fly "with the spirit of Aces High" ?

"Win your engagement" ... there was no engagement according to his story.

Using a P-51 to turn fight with a NIKI is just suicide. Why give someone an easy kill.

Who said you have to turn fight the N1K to beat it. A P51 at 17K with a pocket full of E should have no problem beating an N1K if flown aggressively and in the vertical.

The most question to ask is, did you have fun?

I'll be he did. How long does it take to drain the tanks on a full load of fuel ?

Not, "Did you conform to what other people see as bravado".

Bravado ... LOL.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2003, 09:26:53 AM »
Slap,

If you'd like to go over this, send me an e-mail.

With my limited experience and abilities in a P-51, the only thing I know how to do is Boom and Zoom, so I would have done the same thing.

I was implying nothing in regards to how you fly.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2003, 09:42:16 AM »
....  You say he hasnt learned anything about ACM but he WILL one day when he isnt able to evade a bad situation. If he eventually gets as good as you obviously are (>koff< ahem :)) then he can start using the P51 to itsfull potential. Remember this guy is saying its the first time anyones actually had a go at him for beating them.

Why does it have to be when someone can't evade a bad situation to learn ACM ?

You gotta get something for that >koff< ... Did I say I was good or is that your interpretation ?

If you ask me those 2 nik pilots were doing the exact same thing when they broke to the deck if we go by your way of thinking.

Maybe so ...

just for fun slapshot, lets say there were 2 of you! one flying the NIK and the other flying the P51 in this fight mentioned. which would be the wuss and who would be the better pilot? :D (btw thats a retorical question) Im just trying to make a point ;)

Neither ... A fight would ensue and I would win either way, but a fight would have taken place.

Hogan you carry on mate and enjoy yourself. When you gain enough knowledge of that aircraft you can start doing special moves but until then you are flying within your limits and it seems being rewarded for it by landing alive with 2 kills.

My apologies hogenbor ... WTG !!!

I wouldnt maybe fly like this now but I did once and I could probably do with flying like it again lol. Ive turned into a overly aggressive, impatiant pilot now and often make mistakes just because i want to try out my latest moves. It can go too far the other way too. If you can ballance aggression with patience you'll have it made ;)

Try is a key word here !!!

I really didn't mean to pick on hogenbor ... I am just frustrated with the fact that the mentallity of most in the MA is to flat out run at the sight of an engagement.

If you fight ... you will learn ... if you run ... you have learned nothing. If you get shot down in a good embattled fight ... there is nothing to be embarassed about ... there is no shame ... so go for it ... thats my point.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2003, 09:48:04 AM »
<<>>

If you fight ... you will learn ... if you run ... you have learned nothing. If you get shot down in a good embattled fight ... there is nothing to be embarassed about ... there is no shame ... so go for it ... thats my point.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slap,

No offense to the MAWS but your logic train has skipped the tracks. Now as a former marine, I can attest that anything less then a frontal assault is considered dishonorable, which you certainly appear to be in favor of. However, I wonder if you would be so brave if the bullets were real. There's no shame in fighting to win on your terms.

~Wolfala
« Last Edit: August 08, 2003, 09:55:37 AM by Wolfala »

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2003, 09:58:08 AM »
Wolf-

What is that Banana doing to the lemon in you Avatar?

Errr...nevermind.

Slap-

I can see your point. Getting into a knife-fight teachs alot about SA and what you can do in a plane. However, like I said originally, I don't see it being a great idea in a pony. Like I said, my experience in this plane is limited.

If he was in a Spit, or an FM2, and was not outnumbered, extending, or running would be cowardice. He could use those planes to knifefight with the NIkI. Extending, then boom and zoom seems to me to be the right way to approach this situation based on the plane he was in and situation he was facing.

I have little doubt you would have approached it differently, seeing how you are always landing kills. But we are talking about a guy who's somewhat new to this, and whose skills are probably on par with mine, so I can see his point of view.

Now, for everyone's benefit, what would you do, step by step, to win the engagement? Remember, your in a Pony, let's say 1/2 tank, 5K alt advantage over 2 Nikis. No bases or CVs nearby.

If you have time, I'd like to see how you'd approach the same engagement flying an F6F...this is info I can really use.

Thanks.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2003, 10:01:03 AM »
Originally posted by Wolfala
Slap,

No offense to the MAWS but your logic train has skipped the tracks. Now as a former marine, I can attest that anything less then a frontal assault is considered dishonorable, which you certainly appear to be in favor of. However, I wonder if you would be so brave if the bullets were real. There's no shame in fighting to win on your terms. Its called knowing your abilities.

~Wolf

Wolf ... thats the point here ... There are NO REAL BULLETS ... so go for it !!! There is no shame is getting beat in this game !!! If you get knocked down, you get back up, brush off the dirt, and try again ... differently.

I have been shot down thousands of times and have shot down thousands ... never once did I flaunt my wins and never once was I ashamed of my losses.

If there were real bullets, I would have stopped playing Aces High the day I started ... the first time I got killed.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
Re: Finally : First time I p*ssed people off by shooting them down!
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2003, 10:18:33 AM »
Congrats, Hogen!  The most important thing was that you enjoyed yourself.  However, this one line from you deserves attention:

There might be people who can win a fight in a Fw-190A-8 when cornered by 5 A6M's, but I'm not one of them.

Players who can do this aren't just hatched; they learn these skills through practice and experience.  If you one day hope to win a fight in a 190A8 while cornered by five Zekes, you'll have to put yourself in situations where you are cornered by five Zekes and learn from it.  Flying to live is fine, but don't lament that you must fly a certain way because you can't fly another way.  Try lots of different flying styles and learn to master each one.  Most of all... have fun doing it!  

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Drunky

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2003, 10:37:50 AM »
You will yell, "Today I become a man!" when someone accusses you of cheating.

Till then... :D
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High