Author Topic: Finally : First time I p*ssed people off by shooting them down!  (Read 2447 times)

Offline yowser

• Copper Member
Finally : First time I p*ssed people off by shooting them down!
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2003, 10:31:50 AM »
"....If u fly AH as if it were a real plane and a real war- u would have done exactly that: fly away ,get some alt and advantage and engage in the most superior position possible. ...."..

Yeah, they never attacked in WWII unless they had the advantage.  Sheesh.  Ever hear of this minor skirmish called the Battle of Britain?

Thank god the real life guys didn't fly like we do here in AH.  We would have lost.

yowser

Offline Ecke-109-

• Copper Member
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2003, 10:18:02 AM »
Hogenbor,

i am not shure. But maybe we met us from time to time in MA.
Could it be possible that you are the dot at same alt who turns and run away soon enough so that its not possible to have at least a look on your icon?

Pehaps you did not learn the knife-fight style of dogfighting, but your sortie was successful in keeping with the spirit of Aces High.

hmmm....
« Last Edit: August 11, 2003, 10:21:33 AM by Ecke-109- »

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2003, 10:23:17 PM »
Hogenbor, it's your nickel -- fight on your own terms and have fun.  It's just a game.  Always something new to learn and enjoy.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline hogenbor

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.lookupinwonder.nl
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2003, 04:41:55 AM »
Ecke, we most certainly met 'cause you managed to shoot me down on several occasions. So at least I don't always run

I don't fight at a disadvantage, that would be pointless. Only thing I'll prove if I might win is that the other guy is an ever more pathetic pilot than I am. Only exception is when I'm flying with my squad.

Offline Ecke-109-

• Copper Member
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2003, 04:54:36 AM »
Hogenbor,

i just checked your stats. Maybe your not that runner i talked about.
But why not trying out new tactics instead of runnig for safety?
If the niki has a bit advantage why not dragging him down carefully. You are in the faster plane and it should be possible to keep him behind you at least 2-2.5 k.
If he follows you in to your gentle dive, it dont last long and his advantage is gone. His state of e will be equaled to yours. And then its your turn because your in the faster plane.
You could try to fight him in the vertical. You could try to bore him to death with BnZ.
AH isnt RL and you can try out things in different ways. Even if you fail, your experience increases. And soon you will know what is possible or not.
But if you decide running for a whole P51 fueltank, its a waste of time and fun and experience.

Ecke

Edit: And sorry for my blind imputation.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2003, 05:06:08 AM by Ecke-109- »

Offline hogenbor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2003, 06:08:56 AM »
Originally posted by Ecke-109-
Hogenbor,

But why not trying out new tactics instead of runnig for safety?
If the niki has a bit advantage why not dragging him down carefully. You are in the faster plane and it should be possible to keep him behind you at least 2-2.5 k.
If he follows you in to your gentle dive, it dont last long and his advantage is gone. His state of e will be equaled to yours. And then its your turn because your in the faster plane.
You could try to fight him in the vertical. You could try to bore him to death with BnZ.
AH isnt RL and you can try out things in different ways. Even if you fail, your experience increases. And soon you will know what is possible or not.
But if you decide running for a whole P51 fueltank, its a waste of time and fun and experience.

Ecke

Edit: And sorry for my blind imputation.

Ecke,

It maybe was not clear but that's exactly what I did. I nullified his slight E advantage and kept him at 2.5k... but I wanted some room to play with so I chose to climb while KEEPING him at 2.5k. I fought N1K2's many times in P-51's and it is possible to win with speed, I know. However, this one was so tenacious I had the distinct impression that he would give me a face full of 20mm if I would reverse too close to him, and as you know, lots of N1K2 pilots do exactly this. I just didn't want to risk being sprayed to death when going vertical.

Maybe I was a bit too cautious that day, but diving headlong for any enemy has lost its attraction long ago. It's true that wasting 100% of fuel for two kills is excessive, but I was up there with hardly anybody in sight. And I really wanted to win. And I did, that's what counted for me that flight. Too many times I went for instant gratification which I sometimes managed, bot mostly it was near instant death. I won some, I losed some but bit by bit I win more than I lose... and not only with the overcautious approach. But the game and air combat in general has an immense depth, akin to chess or playing guitar I believe. You can start out as a newbie and have fun, and still learning things and having fun 20 years later. Still so much to learn but as you might guess I'm far beyond the basics now.

That having said, can you explain how to get a hit ratio as awfully good as yours in a G-10??? That 30mm only works for me when I race in and they keep straight and level because they never saw me...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2003, 07:42:12 AM by hogenbor »

Offline Ecke-109-

• Copper Member
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2003, 09:09:08 AM »
Thats why i love the 30mm. It needs only one hit to bring the enemy down. Yepp, its not easy.And no thing for sprayers.  A stream of pee has better balistics than this cannon.

When doing deflection shots, i "calculate" the degrees which i probably need and then , i double the calculated result (in the vertical and horizontal)
That brings my bullets very often in to the target.

I also hit without seeing them. When i turn with an enemy and he starts i.e. from my very low 3 or 9 to cross my path, the last 1 or 1.5 seconds he is covered by my cockpit. For learning when to pull the trigger, a little bug is helpfull. you can see the hit sprites (if you hit) through the fuselage of your plane.
After having luck and beeing sucessfull a few times you will hopefully get a feeling when its the right moment to shoot.

I dont have to tell you that its nothing for sprayers. (60 rounds).
In general, only very short bursts. 3-4 bullets maximum per burst.

Ecke

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2003, 09:52:57 AM »
The way i see it slap is right to be disheartened by constant runing tactics but also the pilot who is running may well be doing the right thing if he isnt particularly good at furballing.

Slap what id say is i'd agree totally with you if the p51 pilot was a real expert flyer who 'decided' to run even though he is capable of turning and fighting. I completely understand why you got peeved by it. I often have faced the all to familiar 'chase for hours with no result' crap.It does indeed ruin the fun a bit.

ECKe is right for suggesting a move to trick the NIK and engage earlier but i really feel you guys should remember you have mostly been playing longer than the rest of us. Even though ive flown just AH for 3 years there are many who have had four or five years more on top of this time. If a guy arrives in AH and is tentative and is learning when to engage and when not to I cant see the justification in saying they should attempt ACM's that they are barely able to conceive, let alone perform.

Its just the way things are, and i for one think hogen flew ok in this fight. If i was the nik pilot in this I wouldnt have chased the p5 for that length of time.Id have turned my tail to him in the hope this tempts him to reverse for an attack. This would have meant a fight ensued earlier. I actually think the NIK pilots are more to blame for a dull fight than the p51.
They dived out in an equal e engagement tried to HO rather than use a decent attack, chased for ages with the slim hope the p51 would be stupid enough to turn and put himself at a disadvantage.
This, if anything was the cause of the stretched out and less thrilling fight. Im just glad hogen shot them down :D

good ol hogen served em up on a platter and they got annoyed at their own failure not his flying :)

Offline hogenbor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2003, 01:40:32 PM »
Well, thank you Hazed!

I've been flying for a year and not that much per month, I'd say an hour per day on average (and that's a good month)

Still, I've been avidly playing AI flightsims since Chuck Yeagers Air Combat. This game is so good that a friend of mine goes to enormous lengths to make it run every time he gets a new computer. It looks awfully basic by now but I felt a fighter pilot for the first time flying that. And it fits on one floppy! But I digress.

I am able to conceive ACM Hazed but I've still got much to learn. A newbie is dead if I meet him one on one and I should be ashamed if this wasn't so after a year. I can do it all in here. But will I ever be able to play in the same league as the big boys? Time will tell but it doesn't seem likely.

But hey, it's a game! Have fun and try to shoot me down!

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2003, 01:51:40 PM »
Hog-

It's tough when you have to balance real life with hobbies. I've been playing flight sims all the way back to a Sublogic's Flight Simulator for the Commodore 64, and I;ve flown AH for better than 2 years.

The problem I have is similar to yours. I can only get in about 30 hours a month on average. Add in the fact that I like to do almost every aspet of the game, and I only log about 10-15 hours a month in fighters. Now compare this with guys who do 300 hours a month in a fighter, and one would understand how it's nearly impossible to compete on that level. But if your having fun, which I am, that's all that really matters.

Offline MAJ KONIG

• Zinc Member
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2003, 02:17:40 PM »
as per the greatest ace of all time "Eric Hartmann" the pilot that turn fights soon dies!

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2003, 02:51:09 PM »
"it's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the *game*."
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2003, 03:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shane
"it's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the *game*." [/QUOTE

joke of the day coming from your mouth.

Offline Puke

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2003, 04:41:39 PM »
You didn't fight them on your "own terms" ... you just picked them off when they were engaged with something else or RTBing.  -Slapshot

Typical, coming from a Spitfire-monkey.

A kill is a kill is a kill is a victory.  Even USN tactical manuals discuss fuel starvation and running out of gas in a fight as a loss.  Same with not paying attention when egressing.  Shoot someone down RTB'ing is just one method for victory and playing to a particular strength.  Don't dimish the guy's victory.  He fought a different fight than your TurnfireV, but he still won.  

So many critics.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2003, 04:50:03 PM »
Originally posted by SunKing
Originally posted by Shane
"it's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the *game*." [/QUOTE

joke of the day coming from your mouth. [/B]

i take it you still suck?
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798