Author Topic: Forgotten Battles v1.1b patch released  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
Forgotten Battles v1.1b patch released
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2003, 10:12:50 AM »
Ubi forums are terrible. Much like the wwiol forums were (maybe not that bad).

The patch is great. The 190a4 is actaully fun to fly. The a5 is better but seems a lot heavier then the a4.

I didnt notice the e differences either until I got in a dogfight with 3 laggs. Before they would go into a series of loops and now after the 1st one they bled out. I easily was able to outclimb then.

If you are having settings problems (sound vid etc) run the setup program again then see if it gets better. The sound is ok but in the 1st version it was better. I have slightly lower frame rates but I will try some tweaking.

Adjusting prop on landing helps you bleed real well. Full fine pitch will bled real fast so if you touch down with lots speed adjust pitch to full fine or toggle off the eng. I agree with SW that prop settings effect speed more then the throttle position.

I mostly fly 109s and manually adjust the props. I think the the tweaks are good but I am not an expert. I have been able to climb away from most bad situations rather easily.

The dm seems the same to me. Its still hard to knock down the i16 i153s with 15 mm but theres seem to be an improvement in the mg151/20mm lethality. Yaks seem a bit more fragile to bring down.

I thought it was a decent patch.

The p39 though is so fun to fly and such a good plane to fight that I cant help think its a bit too good but what do I know.

Ack has been improved.

The box campaign still sux. Theres not enough mission variety and I generally find it boring.

The ai adjustments especially on normal really made the ai easy. In the qmb i flew against 4 la5fns vrs g6/as and 2 of the 4 augered doing low alt barrel rolls and the other would never go for the head on and would break making it easy to get on their 6. Vertreran and expert seem unchanged.

The new visual effects are ok but I was fine with it before.

I fly in all the online wars but I never fly it as much as used to fly AH.

Onething I will always hate is the visibility of planes against the terrain. A plane could be 1000m next to you and be completely invisible. I think Ah has the best "dot system".

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2003, 06:04:45 PM »
got a question for you Il2 players.

Can you give me a quick once over on how and when you to prop pitch radiators in Il2. Coming from AH I have no idea when and what these are used for in flight.

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2003, 07:33:22 PM »
I generally leave the cowl flaps on automatic, unless my engine gets too hot, then I'll open them up all the way for a minute or so.

I've got mixxed fealings about the patch. I flew the 190 last night and for the first time it felt right to me (as in close to AH/WB) snap stalls are a bit strange though.   I flew the G10 some on monday night, and was pissed off.  I couldn't get the thing to go fast at all.  I guess I'm doing something wrong, but that's my ride and if Oleg porked it I'll probably uninstall and not buy his next sim.

I'm pissed about the no new planes too.  MONTHS ago he said the p51 and the 110 were going to be in the patch.  Welp this game is still in beta.  If it were an online game like AH/WB/WW2OL I wouldn't mind testing things, but I payed premium dollar for a boxed sim.  6 months to patch?  wtf?

Guess I'll wait for the final patch to make up my mind.  Damn thing sure does look good though.  I love the dust on take off now to btw :)

Offline Bluedog

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2003, 11:36:45 PM »
Originally posted by SunKing
got a question for you Il2 players.

Can you give me a quick once over on how and when you to prop pitch radiators in Il2. Coming from AH I have no idea when and what these are used for in flight.

Me too.
Can someone give us a quick idiots guide to prop pitch management?
Like.....what pitch is best for takeoff? climbing? cruising? fighting? landing?.
To my way of thinking, a full coarse pitch would be best for climb wouldnt it? or does that add too much drag or something?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Offline Pei

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2003, 01:05:35 AM »
I'm pissed about the no new planes too. MONTHS ago he said the p51 and the 110 were going to be in the patch. Welp this game is still in beta. If it were an online game like AH/WB/WW2OL I wouldn't mind testing things, but I payed premium dollar for a boxed sim. 6 months to patch? wtf?

I think both 1C:Maddox and Ubi have now decided that they have higher priorities than il2:FB (e.g. Battlefield Command, A. N. other Rainbox 6). :(

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2003, 03:31:17 AM »
If you fly LW planes, you don't need to work with pitch and mixture - it is all automatic, on all 109s and 190s. 262, of course, doesn't  need that as well. Allied planes need constant tweaking, but not as much as you might think.

In these planes you need to work with mixture, generally the higher you go, the leaner the mixture. Down low you'll be happy with 100 or 120% mixture, while this same mixture will give you trail of dark smoke at higher alts - a sign to lean the mixture.

Prop pitch is automatic on some planes (P47, for example) and manual on others (every Allied early war plane). Generally, you need to keep your RPMs at optimum velue. Go to your settings and switch CEM (complex engine management off). Then fly your plane - RPMs will be automatically adjusted to optimum value. Now, switch CEM on, and use prop pitch controls to keep your RPMs at the mentioned optimum value whatever you do - as simple as that.

Cowl flaps regulate how the engine is cooled. Open cowl flaps mean most efficient cooling, but at the cost of higher drag (depends of the plane). Closed flaps giove you best performance, but engine quickly overheats. LW planes have an Auto cowl flaps option, where you don't need to work with this. This especially goes for 190A series, which, even with WEP, never overheat - except at very low altitudes and only after long time.

Also, don't forget you have to manually switch supercharger gears with alt (Lavochkin series, among others). If you fail to do so, you even risk engine damage. Needless to say, it is all auto on LW planes ;).

So, it now seems that LW planes are noob planes, as everything in them is automatic. One doesn't need to bother with various settings and buttons. Also, some subtle things as instrument layout and ammo counters help even more. What a sim ;))

additional info at:
http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182082-1.html
http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182084-1.html
« Last Edit: August 15, 2003, 03:34:14 AM by Hristo »

Offline Bluedog

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2003, 06:33:22 AM »
Thanks very much Hristo, particularly for the links.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2003, 06:48:12 AM »
got a weird problem since I re-installed FB in my WinXP

when I exit the game, once back out in desktop, I have some search/help XP window that opens itself repeatedly - can't stop it. I have to shut down computer and reboot.
anyone heard of this?
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2003, 07:10:08 AM »
Most of the allied planes have contant speed props. You adjust rpm to specific setting and the prop adjusts to match that rpm setting.

In the 109 you have 2 settings auto and manual. In manual you adjust prop pitch (the angle of the prop blade) to meet a specific rpm setting. You need constant adjustment because as you dive and climb rpm will change.

In automatic I believe in called aero mechanical the prop adjust on its its own. You get far better performance by adjusting your prop manually once you learn how.

What you are trying to do is fing the best "powerband" (combination of throttle and prop setting) for the type of flying you are doing.  (combat, cruise combat etc..)

Radiator flaps are adjusted when your eng gets hot. On the 109/190s you can leave in on auto/closed most of the time.

The 190s have a "Komandogerate system" where by simply adjusting the throttle rpm and prop pitch are adjusted to keep you in the correct powerband. The Komandogerate system was a BMW speciality which combined engine control functions within one control unit. In reality, this was only a variation of the control systems used to manage all late piston engines. In most other applications, the control functions were managed by inter-linked subsystems which achieved the same functions with less complexity and greater functionality.

So constant speed prop you are setting constant rpm. No matter where you set the throttle rpms will remain constant and the prop pirch will automaticallly adjust. But sometimes in a dive or climb the prop may have adjusted as far as it can go so some throttle manipulation may be necessary.

Variable pitch props need constant adjustment to keep your rpm at optimum. So if you dive and leave pitch alone your rpms will climb and you will over rev your eng and it will be damaged.

109s are either full variable using manual or can be set aero mechanical (auto). In auto the reponse to adjustments are slower, in manual you can accellerate faster.

Variable pitch means you directly control the pitch angle of your prop.

Adjusting throttle and pitch in flight should be as follows.

To reduce power = lower throttle 1st then prop pitch

To increase power = increase prop pitch first then throttle

when increasing throttle after prop pitch watch your rpm guage so you dont over rev the eng.

You are looking to find the combination that keeps you in the correct "powerband".

Now your radiator flaps are manual if you are flying with full CEM. With the exception of the 109/190s. Most other planes you need to set them. Most lw planes climb best at 270k/mh but at this speed theres not enough air to keep the eng cool. You may not get the "engine overheated" msg. but you need to watch the temp guage and look to keep the eng as cool as possible within a given power band. Most of the time you will climb with radiators flaps at some open position. The 190 (radial) rarely over heats so you wont ever need to adjust the cowl flaps.

The 109 190s there no need for fuel mixture adjustments as both are direct fuel injected.

Magnetos should always be 1 & 2.

War emergency Power ie WEP has 100 different meanings.  Over boost (throttle 100%+) and normal boost (100% -). On some planes wep would be just pushing the trottle to an overboost position or above 100% throttle. These planes werent designed to be flown for long periods at high boost settings. This isnt because the may overheat and blow up but because of the required maintenance. There were strict records kept on the engs and planes. Running at over boost increased the frequency at which the eng would need to be overhauled. Overheating will cause eng damage but most pilots could easily read their guages and keep the eng from overheating to the point where the eng seized. Pyro posted a test of a pw-2800 that ran at overboost for days without failing. Of course the eng needed to be rebuilt afterward.

The lw planes with mw-50 need to be "primed". That is engage mw-50 at low rpms. Mw 50 will then activate when you push the throttle beyond 100%. Ideally to set mw-50 just do it while otr.

The a5 a8 a9 and 190d9 '44 variant has C3 injection and can be used like ahs "wep". The p47 has water injection that will engage when you push the throttle past 100% you can manually turn it off.

I wouldnt go as far to say lw planes are n00b planes because fly most  VVS planes theres not much adjustment needed. To get the most out of the 109s you really need to play with the manual settings. Or hell fly a p39 :p

Look on you IL2/FB disk 2 and you will see an advanced manual. Also theres several guides ourt there that explain this stuff a but better.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2003, 07:43:34 AM by Batz »

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2003, 07:17:10 AM »
Originally posted by Bluedog
Me too.
Can someone give us a quick idiots guide to prop pitch management?
Like.....what pitch is best for takeoff? climbing? cruising? fighting? landing?.
To my way of thinking, a full coarse pitch would be best for climb wouldnt it? or does that add too much drag or something?

Any help greatly appreciated.

try this

http://www32.brinkster.com/silvertriggers/CEM_IL2_FB.htm

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2003, 07:59:49 AM »
ok after playing last night, I'm no longer pissed at the 109.  It actually seems to be better now as far as being able to outclimb other planes....

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2003, 11:20:31 AM »
UBI Forums ARE terrible Batz, agreed. The AH bbs started to get as annoying, but just de-select the avatar and sig option.

I really like the new patch so far.

Oleg or some of the hundreds of developers finally tweaked the FM. I don't know any WWII pilots that can vouch for the planes FM's, but this patch makes them even more distanced from the "On a rail" AH and other flightsims seem to have. The planes seem suspended in flight and airborne now more than ever. Control movements need at least SOME counter to stop a roll.

I’ve also tried gunnery from a bit out to test the guns, and either I have been just pulling the trigger from way to short, or have they added a "hit sprite" graphic like AH?

The AI is just as good but different. I have been able to outturn them, but fighting 110’s for instance, I have just been pasted if I gave them a shot and didn't respect them.

So far so good, but it’s beta.

Offline firbal

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2003, 11:33:35 AM »
Has anyone heard of the lastest add on? I saw it at EB a couple of weeks ago. Call, "Operation Barbarosa" (spelling). Been triing to get it. The stores have it listed but they haven't recieved it. Tried 3 times at Game Spot here. They say it's being deliverd on their computer. But when I go back, still nothing. I have not heard anything on the web sights that this is coming out. Thinking it's a 3rd party add on.
Fireball
39th Fighter Squadron "Cobras in the Clouds"

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2003, 11:40:04 AM »
When this patch is beta tested, which is what it is, there will be aircraft additions.

Oleg has a RTS coming out, called WWII RTS, go figure. Maybe that's what your thinking of?

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2003, 12:03:07 PM »
Originally posted by firbal
Has anyone heard of the lastest add on? I saw it at EB a couple of weeks ago. Call, "Operation Barbarosa" (spelling). Been triing to get it. The stores have it listed but they haven't recieved it. Tried 3 times at Game Spot here. They say it's being deliverd on their computer. But when I go back, still nothing. I have not heard anything on the web sights that this is coming out. Thinking it's a 3rd party add on.

Thats just Ossi's campaign he designed. Its basically a couple hundred mission and some skins. Oleg has nothing to do with it.

I havent notoced any hit sprite but I fly 109s and usually just fire the hub cannon be it 30 or 20.

The sound drop during online play is pretty annoying. Other then that I dont see where anything ha been screwed up. The ai on veteran or ace still fly about the same but the low end ai just sux.

New planes are coming but theres plenty of umm to fly now. Maybe I dont care to much about peeeeee50runs as others. The 110 would be nice. So would a ju88.

The 190a4 is pretty fun as well.