Author Topic: Forgotten Battles v1.1b patch released  (Read 1510 times)

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
Forgotten Battles v1.1b patch released
« on: August 12, 2003, 06:58:30 PM »
Haven't flown it much, but it definitely appears to be vastly improved over the boxed form.

New ground effects when taking off, flaps have a bigger effect on lift and landing is a lot closer to reality than it was before.

Damage model, I dunno - I never had a problem with it before, and apart from a few planes being adjusted, I really don't see much of a difference.

Engine management is completely different, I have no idea what I'm doing with it. Something different about how the prop pitch effects speed and throttle setting has less of an impact on maintaining speed, while more of an impact on actually retaining speed in a dogfight.

Energy bleed was supposed to be changed, can't say I noticed much of a difference. Then again, none of the fights I had in my brief test were very strung out or had lots of edge of the envelope flying.

P40 doesn't blow up anymore as it begins to compress, actually followed a 109 through a 2km dive then shot him down as he looped.

Terrain visibility pushed out a whole lot further, now it really doesn't look all that bad at 5km.

New effects: longer lasting smoke/fire, especially noticeable when people auger in on takeoff rolls. You'll see the fire as you leave the field, and it'll still be a smoking crater when you get back. Theres also now dirt/snow/water vapor kicked up by the prop when you are hugging the terrain. See screenshots below. Didn't get one of the water vapor, but not only is there mist behind the place - "waves" sprawl out from the mist. Pretty cool effect.

The sound is... well, better than it was before. I guess this is the best they could do... although I still don't see why we can't just get some simple surround/quadrophonic sound like in AH and just mute all exterior sounds when the engine is on (except for your own guns).

Anyway, theres a list of fixes and what not if you are interested over at il2sturmovik.com Several mirror sites for it, about 42MB. No new planes in this patch. I could of sworn UBI or Oleg said the new TB-3 Zveno, Me163 and Fiat G.50 (flyable) would be in this patch, oh well.

-SW

Offline Hawklore

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 09:18:35 PM »
Ok..this lets me skim the watter with my P40 and Hurri much more enjoyable..didn't notice it..hmm..gotta check that out..
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Trouble no one about their religion;
respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours.
Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life." - Chief Tecumseh

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2003, 08:09:46 PM »
Spits invade IL2FB  !!

Give me my flyable BF-110  soon!

http://www.netwings.org/dcforum/DCForumID43/19.html

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2003, 08:36:14 PM »
Somehow I feel that planes are too "slick"; It seems that I'm unable to slow down and so I overshoot my landings all the time...

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2003, 09:41:47 PM »
Staga, have you tried reducing the prop pitch?

I find that regardless of throttle being at idle, at the far end of the prop pitch I am still pulling myself along.

I reduce my throttle and pull prop pitch back all the way, only way I can slow down and force overshoots.
-SW

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2003, 10:57:07 PM »
spit is in this update?

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2003, 11:47:06 PM »
No Ramzey, there aren't any new planes.. this is simply a "patch" (beta at that) to fix several issues the game shipped with, and update aspects of the game.

The planes will come in a later add-on, what planes are in it, I have no idea.

I know for certain a TB-3 w/tailgunner and ability to hold I-16s under it's wings for deployment, Me-163, and flyable Iar-80 & 81a will be in that add-on.

The rest, I dunno... you can look at the developments page on http://www.il2sturmovik.com to see what's being developed, but I don't know how many of those planes will be in the add-on.
-SW

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2003, 02:09:28 AM »

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2003, 02:20:34 AM »
Yeah Hristo, that really doesn't surprise me.

Had to stop posting with my UBI forum's account, no amount of rationale can stop the stupidity exhibited by some of those that post there.
-SW

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2003, 02:49:40 AM »
I know what you mean. There are so many teenage WW2 flight model experts over there. I used to love reading them argue how plane should really fly in WW2 ( cause they watch history channel damint!)" , but the waiting for the obnoxious signature files to load on that very slow board is killing me. I much rather like reading our Aircrafft/vehilces forum.

Offline Joc

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2003, 03:59:45 AM »
I just uninstalled my copy of FB,after the patch,my sound is still screwed,gets fainter,crackles,and then vanishes,Ive never had this with any other piece of software 8( pathetic
Joc

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2003, 04:36:21 AM »
That's most likely the best troll I've ever seen :D

Take particular care, Mr. Maddox, to ensure that the P-51 Mustang is the incredible machine it should be, and worthy of its rightful place in virtual reality, commensurate with its distinction in history. Anything less will be an insult.

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2003, 04:40:56 AM »
Americans.... :rolleyes:
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2003, 04:42:11 AM »
well more like a "American or maybe 5 of them..."

Offline Pei

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2003, 05:15:28 AM »
Originally posted by Hristo
check out the whines, a whole new world ;)

http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view-topic.asp?name=Olegmaddoxreadyroom&id=zvanr

Whenever I get sick of the this board I pop over there to remind myself how bad it could be.