Author Topic: Alabamas Judge Roy Moore  (Read 3473 times)

Offline Drunky

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Alabamas Judge Roy Moore
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2003, 10:15:16 PM »
I personally think that it is a shame that we should drive out one of the foundations that this country was founded upon.

Perhaps next we should eliminate other basic elements from our government also.

I'm voting for freedom of speech and freedom of religion.

Followed very closely by no taxation without representation.

If you don't like this country then move.  I'm still waiting for Alec Baldwin to export to Canada.

If you find it offensive that there are religious values in our governement then perhaps you should go to one of those countries that really value government without religion like Irag, Iran, China, North Korea or Russia.

P.S. I hear Greenland is good.  They don't have religion.  They only have reindeer and alcohol and six-month nights.

Good luck heathens.
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
Alabamas Judge Roy Moore
« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2003, 10:38:05 PM »
man, don't give a theocracy as an example of a secular goverment.

Offline loser

• Silver Member
Alabamas Judge Roy Moore
« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2003, 11:31:38 PM »
Judge Moore has been suspended.

Good.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Alabamas Judge Roy Moore
« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2003, 12:59:28 AM »
Originally posted by crowMAW
One caveat is Communism, which I consider to be a situation where the state is the religion, the state supplants God, and the citizens worship the state.  Communism is equally as bad as any theocracy.

Your caveat is interesting in that the two largest communist states, China and the former USSR, are basically the only states where religion has been banned. So, you really can't exclude them from this discussion.  In fact, since they are the only states in recorded history in which religion was completey excluded they become the only valid comparison.

So, how tolerant and benevolent are/were these giants among civilizations? I guess we all know the answer to that.

China didn't actually ban religion but was/is very restrictive.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2003, 01:17:50 AM by AKIron »
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
Alabamas Judge Roy Moore
« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2003, 06:14:27 AM »
This is a very complex matter, not only in Alabama, but in several other states.  I looked up in my search engine the ten commandments, ten commandments in the courtroom.  There are many diverse opions, even among scholars.  It would take a lot of reading time to truly delve into the legal aspects concerning Moore's courthouse stand.  I admire him for his tenacity, albeit whether he is politicizing the issue or not.  I have read mostly assumptions from his opponents, calling him a hypocrite.  I don't know whether he is or not.  I would like to believe he is not.

Also, I saw a couple web sites that seemed to indicate that having the ten commandments in the courtroom, was a step up from medieval law...which was oppressive.  Christian Revisionist Movement seemed to go into some detail.

What do I think:

It is a political issue.  Seems like the one thing I found in common, was the ACLU files these suits, (and loses about half of them.)  Most people in Alabama think of the ACLU as communist in nature, and fight it whenever they can.  So it's not about religion, or even the ten commandments.  It's about standing up to the ACLU.

The same ACLU that filed a lawsuit against a high school, three days after the terrorist attack 9-11.  Reason for the lawsuit?  The high school had "God Bless America" on their sign out front.

Les

Offline LoneStarBuckeye

• Copper Member
      • http://None
Alabamas Judge Roy Moore
« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2003, 06:57:45 AM »
Originally posted by Snork
Any resemblance between modern Christians and the actions of Jesus Christ are purely coincidental.
This is an unfair overgeneralization, but I understand at least some of the things that would make you express it.

Offline Drunky

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Alabamas Judge Roy Moore
« Reply #96 on: August 23, 2003, 10:01:34 AM »
Originally posted by Leslie
It is a political issue.  Seems like the one thing I found in common, was the ACLU files these suits, (and loses about half of them.)  Most people in Alabama think of the ACLU as communist in nature, and fight it whenever they can.  So it's not about religion, or even the ten commandments.  It's about standing up to the ACLU.

The same ACLU that filed a lawsuit against a high school, three days after the terrorist attack 9-11.  Reason for the lawsuit?  The high school had "God Bless America" on their sign out front.

Les

I think the ACLU is a good thing in principal.

Unfortunately, in practice it is very, very suspect.
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline crowMAW

• Silver Member
Alabamas Judge Roy Moore
« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2003, 10:54:29 AM »

I wonder if those folks stood up and protested the ACLU in these cases:

ACLU Defends Families Fighting Removal Of Religious Symbols from Florida Cemetery
ACLU Supports Right of Iowa Students to Distribute Christian Literature at School
ACLU backs abortion protester cited for graphic poster
ACLU Defends Prisoner's Right to Keep Rosary
ACLU defends Ku Klux Klan Cross In Public Forum
ACLU Pledges to Back Church in a Zoning Battle
ACLU of PA Files Discrimination Lawsuit Over Denial of Zoning Permit for Baptist Church
ACLU Joins Jerry Falwell To Fight For Church Incorporation Rights

Offline Erlkonig

• Nickel Member
Alabamas Judge Roy Moore
« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2003, 11:34:31 AM »

I don't know if you have seen much of the supporters and protesters for the Good Judge's cause, but from what I can tell it has very much to do with religion.  These are the kind of people who believe that those who oppose establishment are leading the country to ruin.  For them there is something far more serious at stake than an attempt to spite the ACLU.

Offline Engine

• Silver Member
Alabamas Judge Roy Moore
« Reply #99 on: August 23, 2003, 11:39:38 AM »
Doesn't the Supreme Court have a mural depicting Moses carrying the Ten Commandments on its wall?  

What about chaplains in the Armed Forces?  How about the chaplain serving Congress?  Maybe the Congress should be forced to stop reciting their prayer every day?

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
Alabamas Judge Roy Moore
« Reply #100 on: August 23, 2003, 11:59:50 AM »
Originally posted by Erlkonig
I don't know if you have seen much of the supporters and protesters for the Good Judge's cause, but from what I can tell it has very much to do with religion.  These are the kind of people who believe that those who oppose establishment are leading the country to ruin.  For them there is something far more serious at stake than an attempt to spite the ACLU.

I'm glad you don't like me ErlKonig, I don't like you either, especially after seeing your horrible avatar. :D

Les

Offline Erlkonig

• Nickel Member
Alabamas Judge Roy Moore
« Reply #101 on: August 23, 2003, 12:04:25 PM »
I'm glad you don't like me ErlKonig, I don't like you either, especially after seeing your horrible avatar. :D

WHAT

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
Alabamas Judge Roy Moore
« Reply #102 on: August 23, 2003, 12:18:56 PM »
Not much business for the Tong here ErlKonig.  Now crawl back in your hole, and forget about the negative thoughts.;)

That's what Oddball said in the movie.:D

Les

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
Alabamas Judge Roy Moore
« Reply #103 on: August 23, 2003, 12:28:59 PM »
Shouldn't this extend to any art influenced by any religion (pro or con) in any goverment building?