Author Topic: boring pizza  (Read 2495 times)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
boring pizza
« Reply #105 on: August 30, 2003, 03:43:05 AM »
Slapshot!  Polka is right - time for that hug!  :):);):cool:

You understand me, and now I think I understand you, and the other weed-wacking furballers. But there are just a few points I'd like to make before we let this one go, now that the pizza map is gone for another month.

You seem to have accepted why I need a good survivalist plane. But don't think that I'm using it as a seal clubber. Like some of the accomplished pilots (I have no skill, so I'm not one of those) the three fighters I kill the most, tour after tour after tour, are the P51, LA7 and Spit9. Why? Because there are more of those than any other types - that's all. If I was focussing on killing the less manoeuvrable, slower planes, I might feel guilty - that's when I'll change down a gear or two from the G10 - perhaps to a G2 or F4. (I never got on so well with the G6) The G10 is good for 6-kill sorties - I still have about three other 6k G10-pizza films I could post, but I think I've made my point. ;)

But I have been the Spit V route. That was my plane of choice in my early days with Brand-W. It took my CO (who has met Lazs!) to drag me, kicking and screaming from my Spit and into a 190A4. Then he taught me energy fighting - B&Z. (I had yet to learn the distinction between B&Z and E-fiting - that's where BBGun helped me, and was a turning point.) The 109 is very much an e-fiter.

So the suggestion to go back to the Spit V is just that - going backwards, both in terms of what I've done in the past  AND in terms of the development of warplanes in WW2. The progression was away from slow T&B planes, and on to heavier, faster planes which did not turn as well, but relied on energy tactics. Flying those planes is what I'm least bad at.

Many pilots at Brand-W favoured the early war planes, some claiming that flying these types demanded more skill - a myth I was able to disprove. (One guy claimed that he had more skill because he shone in early war, but couldn't maintain the shine as the war progressed - RPS)

Given that the most vociferous furballing BBS posters include guys from the BK and TAS - guys who claim to favour the weed-wackers - I often wonder why so many of them are opposed to an RPS - with the exception of Rude and Apache. :confused:

In closing, I'd just like to say that I've been very disappointed with how some guys have whined for the pizza map to be withdrawn permanently. It's only up one week out of four, and I don't see how the current map rotation cycle could be made any more fair than it already is. (There's always the DA - and the CT) But for some, "fair" is not good enough. They want everything their own way, all the time.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2003, 04:24:14 AM by beet1e »

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
boring pizza
« Reply #106 on: August 30, 2003, 06:56:46 AM »
Beet1e, if BS were concrete, you'd be the Kansas Turnpike.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
boring pizza
« Reply #107 on: August 30, 2003, 09:19:07 AM »
LOL toad... but... oh so true.

Don't know why I bother but..  WB is not AH beetle.   you are not taking a step forward or backward flying the spit 5 in AH.   I used to furball in the -1a.   I furball in the yak.   People don't furball in the g10 or sissy dora.

Look... the pizza map is on for a very long time... more than any other map probly or at least a 3 way tie.   the fun maps are only on for a day or so.

People are complaining.   they have good reasons.   the map can be helped the same way infinity was helped..  the work done on infinity amounted to moving the bases closer together.   not ONE complaint was heard about that move.... (allmost unprecedented in AH)   So do the same to the boring pizza map.
lazs

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
boring pizza
« Reply #108 on: August 30, 2003, 10:06:53 AM »
"So the suggestion to go back to the Spit V is just that - going backwards, both in terms of what I've done in the past AND in terms of the development of warplanes in WW2.

Going backwards ... no I don't think so. I considered the move (personally) as making it more challenging. It doesn't have to be a Spit V ... choose another early war machine and strap it on.

I understand why you fly what you fly, but still don't agree with your reasons. You seem to be very concerned about dieing. I don't like to die as much as the other guy and always fly planning on RTBing, but I don't get all wrapped up in it. If I have 5 pelts on my belt and there is still one fight to be fought, I will fight it ... even from a point of disadvantage. If I die ... oh well ... the HTC gods reincarnate me and I grab another plane and start the whole process over again. There is no shame in dieing in AH, alot of people think there is and that limits their fun ... as far as I am concerned.

I am not one of the group that proposes to eliminate AKDESERT... on the other hand I am one of those the proposes that AKDESERT make the same changes as Trinity did ... then I will judge it accordingly.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
boring pizza
« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2003, 01:44:42 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
I understand why you fly what you fly, but still don't agree with your reasons. You seem to be very concerned about dieing.
I think you meant "dying". ;)

It's a cultural thing. In Brand-W it was considered better to kill one con and land successfully, than to kill two but be killed doing it. The scoring system reflected this - points tripled for landed kills.

I think you are using a very broad brush when you suggest that "dying doesn't matter". OK, it doesn't, but I prefer to land my kills. There is no mandate either way, so it comes down to personal preference. But the "dying doesn't matter" lobby is partly responsible for all the suicide crap we have in AH, including suicide-the-CV and suicide-fuel-pork. The more "dying doesn't matter" thinking we have, the more of an arcade game AH will continue to become.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
boring pizza
« Reply #110 on: August 30, 2003, 02:59:48 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
I think you meant "dying". ;)

It's a cultural thing. In Brand-W it was considered better to kill one con and land successfully, than to kill two but be killed doing it. The scoring system reflected this - points tripled for landed kills.

I think you are using a very broad brush when you suggest that "dying doesn't matter". OK, it doesn't, but I prefer to land my kills. There is no mandate either way, so it comes down to personal preference. But the "dying doesn't matter" lobby is partly responsible for all the suicide crap we have in AH, including suicide-the-CV and suicide-fuel-pork. The more "dying doesn't matter" thinking we have, the more of an arcade game AH will continue to become.

Your name now is ... NEO SPELL-CHECKER ... ;)

died, die·ing, dies ... To cut, form, or stamp with or as if with a die.

You have a point there ... I did use a broad-brush ... I abhore the "suicide-favoritestrat" mentality ... I too always want to RTB. MY "dying doesn't matter" philosophy only pertains to Air to Air Combat.

Points/Perks means nothing to me ... wish I could give them away when some squaddies want to all take perk rides at the same time.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
boring pizza
« Reply #111 on: August 30, 2003, 04:18:22 PM »
Slapshot - I'd love to continue this. Can you make it to the West Coast minicon? Lazs is coming, I'm coming, and I'm working on Mr. Toad. :)

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
boring pizza
« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2003, 04:14:50 PM »
I haven't dealt with the pizza map in about a year and 1/2.  Have yet to see Trinity.  Still fly all the time.

eskimo