Author Topic: nose bounce, wabble, slugish response  (Read 904 times)

Offline LtMagee

• Copper Member
nose bounce, wabble, slugish response
« on: August 24, 2003, 03:07:08 PM »
Hey Skuzzy,
We have been over this before but the matter just progressivley gets worse. I purchased this new computer and everything was fine. The more I play, the worse this "bounce" gets. It is in every airplane but deminishes above 300mph. Below 200mph is unplayable and is way I can not dogfight and is why I am acused of not fighting the dogfight ACM stuff. I do not feel it is due to the slidders. This seems to get worse over time so I thing the sliders are not the problem. You emailed me before with the slidder settings and thing got better for a while but then got worse.

Over all game play with this new computer is 100 % better, however this nose bounce stuff is driving me crazy. I know fighter aircraft were not built to be very stable aircraft, as a matter of fack, this 80% scale P-6E Hawk I am building is not very stable either as is many aerobatic airplanes. Even with combat trim on, it just dont fly right. For example, combat trim on, the airplane continues to nose up untill it stalls. It banks left more than non..mainly Tempest. I can deal with that stuff but as long as thie nose bounce stuff is here, I cant hit jack! However, With this new computer, when I do ping something it does blow up more than with my old system. Frame rate are awsome, 75 across the board, even in the "slot" map which use to be 12 fps

Thanks for putting up with me!

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2003, 03:29:42 PM »
What stick are you using?

Offline bockko

• Nickel Member
      • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blackoutboys/
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2003, 04:32:23 PM »
nose bounce...been there...my experience is that bounce is worse on the microsoft sticks with the twisty rudders. Stick scaling is the first place to start -- just a bit of rudder input can cause nose bounce if the scaling isn't optimized; pitch can also be a problem, try tweeking them down.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2003, 05:20:35 PM »
yeah, what stick?   usb or gameport (serial)?

scaling? dampers? deadbands?

system specs?

fwiw, combat trim ain;t perfect and some planes like to really want to nose up in combat trim (f6f comes to mind as a glaring example).. nor does ct negate torque.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2003, 09:20:22 AM »
That sounds like stick scaling trouble to me!

I have to recal my stick about once a week.... thats why yours may be getting worst as time goes on.

At speed, your control surfaces will not react as quickly as when slow....due to air pressure on wings. So, to me it seems that you have your stick set too tight/stiff. At slower speeds every little "twitch" of your stick makes the plane react, and you get nose bounce.

Go here http://webpages.charter.net/maddogjoe/index.html and click on "Aces High Help". The top heading is Joystick set-up. I've posted pictures of what a "twisty stick" (rudder on stick) and a "non-twisty stick" set-up should look like. Also a plain explanation on how to set things up.

If your settings are close to what we have there, recal your stick in both windows, then the game and try it again.

oh and if your worried about "cheating" because your softening you stick... don't worry, EVERYONE scales their stick. Joysticks vary so much that you have to. Good Luck, and Cya up !!

Offline LtMagee

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2003, 08:17:03 PM »
recal? Recalibrate? I recal every time I enter the game. I even tried unplugging the USB plugs and rebooting. NOthing changes. As I said, the slidders are default about were skuzzy set them on a prev email. I have touched nothing and it gets worse. All axis are set from left to right, bottom to top at an angle. Dead Band and the other thing are slightly from bottom..even. So if I touched nothing, why was it not like this when I first started the game with new computer?

Dell
XPS
P-IV
CH thr
CH pro peds
Micro stick...bare basic
I have a CH stick but it reacks the same and microsoft stick is more comfy

NO SPIKES AT ALL

Offline bockko

• Nickel Member
      • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blackoutboys/
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2003, 08:52:40 PM »
i assume all 3 axis are scaled? are you using auto fuel switching?the gets worse over time thing is strange, almost sounds like your cg is off. how does your stick control graph look in the scaling screen? if they all set at center then your stick isnt to blame, its something else.

Offline SC-Mutt

• Zinc Member
      • http://skeletoncrew.ww1sims.com/home
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2003, 07:12:43 AM »
Some things I've noticed when running mixed (brand/type) gear:

If you're running Win98, Every time you un-plug/re-plug your USB items, a new install of it is recorded in the registry. (And like all things Mindgrosoft; it doesn't remove the old entry!!)

Are all components USB ?  If so, The MS stick tends to hog more usb rescources than CH.  And the twist rudder on the stick can still affect the response of it's X and Y axis even when not selected in the AH DirectX JS map.

In the calibration window,  Move the stick full left while applying full right rudder.  Hold the stick full left as you release the rudder, and observe the scaling window as the rudder snaps bak to center, repeat this move, but slowly bak off the rudder to center.

Any 'jaggies' in the tracking lines will show up as bounce in flight.

In the JS selection window, Be sure that the MS stick is only enabled for X and Y axis. (Just to be sure!)

Another thing I've learned; Using almost 0 deadband, and NO damping helped, But the major difference came when I set ALL the scaling curves to be identical!  Especially the X and Y axis!

To see why; Move the joystick SLOWLY from center to full left, right, up, or down, and watch the line movement... Nice and smooth, huh?

Now; Push the stick SLOWLY toward each CORNER (45', 135', 225', 315'), while watching the lines, only try to keep it smooth.
Not so easy.  Now make X-Y scales the same and try again, you should see a marked improvement.

Next; Jump down, turn around, pick a bail o cotton. Get all Gameport controllers, (CH, or Thrusty w/ Stickworks mod), instead of USB, and hopefully you'll be as happy as I am.

Good luck mate
S!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2003, 03:53:55 PM »
Try this stick scale.  Put it into your AH settings folder and make sure that you rename the original file to stick.bak before replacing it with the new one.

Right click on the below link and select "Save As..." and save it to your AH settings folder.

Stick Scale

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline LtMagee

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2003, 11:06:52 PM »
Ok I'll keep it simple!!

I have hooked up:
CH pro peds
CH Fighterstick
CH Throttle

all USB
windows XP.....windows ME di the same exact thing!

Same ****, tried all your settings and still have yaw bounce. Nose bounce has settled down.

Offline LtMagee

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2003, 07:58:18 PM »
I tyried all u sugested. I forget which one but one helped pitch bounce a little but hindered GV gun aiming. All others did nothing. Even the one that helped nose bounce a little, nothing at all helped yaw bounce.

Offline blackfalcon4

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2003, 08:15:22 AM »
If ya don't have one then I'll suggest one :D

I had some smaller probs than your experiencing but a powered usb hub fixed it.

Offline LtMagee

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2003, 06:09:32 PM »
I have eight USB ports on my computer. What is a powered USB hub?

Offline blackfalcon4

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2003, 06:48:58 PM »
Basically, it's a hub that derives it's power from a source other than thru the computer's usb port.

It plugs into an outlet and also 1 usb port, than it gives you multiple usb ports for your peripherals.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Magee's nose bounce
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2003, 05:09:35 AM »
I spent part of the weekend reformatting my Hard Drive and doing a clean install of everything, (WinXP) I'm hoping for better stability.

In the process, I used my old copy of the Aces High installation file on my backup disk and then transferred all the settings files over to the newly installed folders.  Mitsu's sounds, gun sights, the squad folder, you know the drill.

Anyway, everything looked good.  So I fired up Aces high and jumped into the off-line map to test it.

wtf, I've got Magee's nose bounce.  lol, omg how does he fly!  Every stick movement causes the screen to stutter, it's very weird.

Well of course this just won't do so I pull up the Add Software Control panel and delete Aces High.  The Folders and settings are still there but I'm in a hurry and don't manually delete them.  I have everything else working so I download a new copy of the Aces High Installation program and reinstall Aces High right into the old new :) folder.  Not until I went to reset the video settings did I realize I hadn't deleted the settings files but everything worked and Magee's nose bounce was gone.

Magee, I hope this works for you to because that's no way to have fun.  Best of luck bud.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001