Author Topic: cant play online  (Read 602 times)

Offline Gigg

• Zinc Member
cant play online
« on: August 25, 2003, 08:53:13 PM »
I have been playing this game for a few months now with little problems. I did not play for a week or so, I replaced a bad vidio card with a G force 5200 with 128mb ddr.

I logged into the MA and my system just sits there waiting for the server to send the arena data. I have tried this several times over 2 days and the same thing happens. I just sit there waiting for server data. Slowly some come to me but I eventualy get a disconnect before even the players are put on the clip board. My connect is between 145 and 150 ms .. standard for when i play AH.

I have deleated the game completely even the files that are left. I reinstalled the game... same problem. I dnloaded the file to try a clean new install... same thing just sits there. The game works fine off line, no problem loggin in, no problem dnloading the new arena files. I have no clew what to try now any ideas. I was thinking maybe the server had a worm or something....

Im running win 98 with AMD 2100 + 512 memory.

Thanks,

Gigg

This is what I have tried
« Last Edit: August 25, 2003, 09:07:32 PM by Gigg »

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
cant play online
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2003, 11:30:15 PM »
Firewall?  Router?  Virus?

SKurj

Offline Gigg

• Zinc Member
cant play online
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2003, 06:37:32 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I did run the virus program  (Norton Antivirus) and my system is clean. I myself did not install the new vidio card so I'm not so sure what drivers were put on for the G force 5200, I use a dial up modem so I don't think I should have had firewall software put on. I have the program end it all and have closed everything except protected programs, same results. What should I look for to see if I now have some kind of firewall? It does almost seem like the signal is blocked or something.  I also have no problem using my explorer or surfing the web at all or dnloading files. At this time the only problem I have is with AH.
Im going into AH withdrawal... help plz.

Gigg
« Last Edit: August 26, 2003, 07:02:28 AM by Gigg »

Offline Gigg

• Zinc Member
cant play online
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2003, 07:06:54 AM »
More info I have checked the connect while I am sitting in the main arena not getting updates. According to the connectivity forum the varience should be fairly flat? Mine is spiking all over the place looks terrible.

Gigg

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
cant play online
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2003, 01:40:47 PM »
Gigg email Skuzzy directly...

Maybe you will get help faster...

SKurj

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
cant play online
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2003, 03:46:54 PM »
If the varience is spiking badly, the most common cause of this is background utilites/applications/services running.

Basically, check to make sure you have everything shutdown (task manager only shows what is currently running and not those things the OS fires off every minute).
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Gigg

• Zinc Member
cant play online
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2003, 04:35:18 PM »
Skuzzy I have shut down everything not protected with the program end it all... Same results. I have also now emailed tech support.

Gigg

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
cant play online
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2003, 04:38:02 PM »
What kind of modem do you have?

If it is software based (most internal modems are), and your ISP has not blocked ports 13x, then you may be getting hammered by the MSBlast worm attempts.  This could cause the effect you are seeing.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Gigg

• Zinc Member
cant play online
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2003, 06:10:59 PM »
Thanks for the reply Skuzzy. My modem is a us robotoics external courier v everything. I am running win 98 also which I thought was not effected by the worm? All other internet functions seem to work ok like surfing with msn 8 or internet explorer. Is there something I can check.

Thanks,
Gigg

Offline Gigg

• Zinc Member
cant play online
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2003, 06:44:57 AM »
New development. I tried logging on to the MA a few times last eve. I now begin to receive the arena data. Fields get updated even sometimes I get to the point that players are entered on the clip board. This is still taking a few minutes... then I get a window stating error lost connect from server. Things seem to be improving some what. Can this be the internet is porked or has worm problems? Also the varience levels are begining to look more normal.

Gigg

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
cant play online
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2003, 07:03:26 AM »
The worms and viruses had definately impacted the Internet causing massive slow downs and packet loss all over the place.

Just because you have 98 does not make your Internet connection immune to the attacks, it just makes it immune to being able to get the worm.  It still steals bandwidth away from the connection.

Cable modem users have been getting the worst of this.  The nature of the physical layout of the cable modem network (local node) makes it easier to inundate the network.

Gigg, check with your ISP and see if they got a clue and are blocking ports 13x from the Internet.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
cant play online
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2003, 08:39:38 AM »
I wonder if his new video card could be sharing an interupt with his com port.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
cant play online
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2003, 10:49:36 AM »
That type of sharing would be odd.  I have never seen any COM/LPT ports share an interrupt with another port/device.  Any is possible I guess.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
cant play online
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2003, 01:41:16 PM »
98 is not exempt from the Sobig virus...  This is the one that sends emails to everyone in your address book etc..

Found it on my mum's machine earlier this week...

SKurj

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
cant play online
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2003, 01:58:35 PM »
Correct Skurj, but 98 is not susceptible to the MSBlast worm.

Doesn't really matter.  Even if you system is clean of both, you will be affected by the millions of others that have gotten the buggers.
Simply the amount of broadcasting those infected machines are doing is overwhelming the Internet and especially cable mode users.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese