Author Topic: Old War Weenies Are Just Old  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
Old War Weenies Are Just Old
« on: September 10, 2003, 10:05:00 AM »
So I log on last night in the midst of conversation between squad mates on choice in aircraft which just so happens to turn out to be, well, old or early war aircraft.  To this I respond with “Early war dweebs”.

To my surprise and dismay I was labeled as a boom and zoom dweeb, due to my choice as always the P51D.

The short discussion then lead to boom and zoom was basically vulching at altitudes.  I had to think about this some.  Just what exactly are the “furball” fights that we are finding?

Are they mano-e-mano fights?  No.  Are they straight heads up fights? No.  Furballs are merely a chance to shoot someone down who’s situational awareness has gotten overloaded to the point picking aircraft off is shooting fish in barrels until you end up being one of the fish.

I started to think about the advantages to entering a furball in a slower less equipped aircraft.  About this time I kept hearing the lamentations of one squad mate about not being able to catch anyone before he himself became a fish and how many rounds it took to finally down the enemy.  So why I ask myself would you want to be placed in this situation?

It’s not like the choice in aircraft is a long time love from history.  I’m not even sure it can be considered more “challenging” based on the situation.  A low slow aircraft is just meat regardless of the year it was made.

So I end up with this conclusion.  Why the early war or old aircraft as the choice?  Pilot age.

You see, they just get to damn slow and everything else just gets too damn fast for all that eye, hand, brain calculation stuff.  It’s just easier with old age to drive something that doesn’t stall as bad and stays under the doctor recommended speed limit.

At least, that’s my take on it :D.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2003, 10:10:05 AM »
For me, nothing beats entering a mass furball in a Hurricane IIC in this game.  The real skill in this game is being able to enter one and come out alive in a turnfighter.

Any dweeb can up a P-51 and run from anything that notices it, cherrypicking those poor unsuspecting people and AFK'ers.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Rutilant

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2003, 10:11:35 AM »
Is the YakU a turnfighter or a BnZ?

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2003, 10:12:29 AM »
Originally posted by Rutilant
Is the YakU a turnfighter or a BnZ?

Its a dweebmobile if you are in it.

:D
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2003, 10:19:23 AM »
Running, err extending, I do not have a problem with.

I drop in and end up with ohhh, a red blob behind me, yeah, I’m extending.

Why?  Because I can :D.

But then again I admit that I’m just a no skilled cherry picker who couldn’t win a 1v1 or 1v2 unless both happen to be AFK at the time.

Most of my kills are stolen from others anyhow.  I like things tenderized first.

Offline Rutilant

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2003, 10:20:08 AM »
The only dweebmobile i'm proud to be in!
 :D

Offline Rutilant

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2003, 10:22:26 AM »
Originally posted by Zippatuh
Running, err extending, I do not have a problem with.

I drop in and end up with ohhh, a red blob behind me, yeah, I’m extending.

Why?  Because I can :D.

But then again I admit that I’m just a no skilled cherry picker who couldn’t win a 1v1 or 1v2 unless both happen to be AFK at the time.

Most of my kills are stolen from others anyhow.  I like things tenderized first.

No shame in runnin from the spitwad (wad of spits).

I recall an event that happened in the CT.. i just pickled ord on fuel in me P40 and was bookin away.. Looked back to see about 15 planes behind me. Someone commented "You got the whole damn luftwaffle after you!" lol..  ran till one or two 110s were after me and i turned around n' got one of em :D

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2003, 01:36:25 PM »
Actually Zip I never called you a Dweeb , that was Toad.

How ever you are a Dweeb runstanging cherry pickin kiil stealing ****:)

I like the 51D as a wingman . It compliments the early war stuff and helps keep your 6 clear when invoved in a furball type situation.

So I hope you keep on dweebing Zip:)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2003, 02:17:49 PM »
beats the alternative
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2003, 02:49:53 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
beats the alternative

Hey Zip...I think your just pissed off because of all the kills we steal from ya. By the time you get that 400ias pony turned around, we've killed everyone:)

Cyas Up!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2003, 03:00:28 PM »
I believe "dweeb" is an equitable response when someone calls you a "dweeb".

And I think you misundertand about the guns. I kinda find it FUN to have to hammer an F6F apart with P-40B guns. Takes a while, you get to shoot a lot... I like that in a fight.

Yeah, it's easy to get IN a fight in a slow plane and pretty hard to get OUT of one. Makes it all the more sweet when you do actually bring a smoking shot up bird home.

Ya know, after I went afk for a sec, I jumped in a P-51 to join ya for old times sake.  But Sax told me you had logged. So I went up there by myself and got a higher 51, a co-alt La-7 and a slightly lower FW-190. All in the old approved B&Z style. I actually had to make two passes on the FW. And in all that cloud of red, I never took a ping. (Jeez, I sound like Beet1e, don't I?)

I guess that's good flying or something. I didn't feel much of a sense of accomplishment tho.

But like I told Sax then, it just wasn't as much fun. So, I rtb'd and landed and logged.

Next time I'll take my Geritol earlier and see if I can keep up with you youngsters with your hair on fire.

But hey, like Sax says, it's nice to have a Mustang covering ya high. I'll still fly 51's with ya... you wanna try a P-40 or FM-2 sortie too?

;)

Cya up there.. Sax, Rude.. I say we let Zip plan the mission.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2003, 04:17:50 PM »
I fly the F6F and P-40E 90% of the time.  Though... lately I've been giving the Typhoon a spin now and the if the furball is really heavy and I want to unleash 4 hispanos.

One of my favorite things to do is to hang out at about 5-6k and wait for a late war cherry picker to come zooming through the furball.  With a proper lead turn and a little luck, there's a 2 second window where the .50's can reach out and touch anything.  There's just nothing better than a G-10, Dora, P-51 or La-7 pilot insisting you just cheated because you caught them and shot them in a P-40.

The dogfights can be really fun too as most people are prone to keep engaged with an early war ride because they feel they have enough of an advantage.  Unfortunately, it also means you stay engaged until you kill everyone or you die.  Usually, you will get ganged if you engage for more than a couple of seconds in a furball... and an early war ride offers you little choice to do otherwise.

I do fly the P-40 because It's been my favorite plane since I was 4 years old and was given a model of one.  I started flying the F6F-5 to get me ready in case a P-40 was ever introduced in AH and really started to like that plane.  The rest really just aren't that much fun except in certain situations.

MiniD

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2003, 04:37:00 PM »
Yup....the P-40 is cool.

I hear ya on the reversals....folks come blazin in on ya only to find themselves in the tower...I laugh out loud often on the squad vox when I reverse them tight and get that 200 yrd shot.

I've been cheatin lately and have been drivin the Hurri II.:)

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2003, 04:56:37 PM »
I just read all of Zip's post and finally realized he insulted me.

Talk about old and slow.

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2003, 07:33:37 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
Yeah, it's easy to get IN a fight in a slow plane and pretty hard to get OUT of one. Makes it all the more sweet when you do actually bring a smoking shot up bird home.

That's what I enjoy. Although for some reason this tour I don't remember getting out of many. Mindset thing, gotta couch ??

When this one is history, going back to the furballin 1-D. Different mindset. Thanks for the use of the couch.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..