Author Topic: Poverty up during Bush  (Read 1817 times)

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Poverty up during Bush
« on: September 26, 2003, 11:20:55 AM »
http://www.boston.com/dailynews/269/wash/Census_reports_poverty_rate_up:.shtml

The poverty rate rose again after having fallen for nearly a decade to 11.3 percent in 2000, its lowest level in more than 25 years. Income levels increased through most of the 1990s, then were flat in 2000 and fell the last two years.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Poverty up during Bush
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2003, 11:42:20 AM »
Gee, I wonder if anything happened in 2001 that might depress an already flat economy from 2000.

Probably not. Must be Boosh.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Trell

• Nickel Member
Poverty up during Bush
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2003, 11:53:02 AM »
well I can say that I make about 20% less then I was making 3 years ago

I dont directly think it was the fault of bush.

the factors I see
Is the fall of the IT sector.
Outsoursing.
and 9/11

Btw I lost my job before 9/11
but i think it made it harder to find a new one.

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Poverty up during Bush
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2003, 12:17:24 PM »
Well I will say I haven't gotten a raise in 2.5 years, the longest time in my career without one.  Then I look at the fact that I get paid more than any other draftsman in this company by at least $3/hr. and I look at the fact that I know of NO draftsmen that make what I do in this field and I'm happy :)

Then I look at how much work we have lined up (over 2 years job security right now) and I think that this is civil work that I do so my projects are developments.  We've got 2 subdivision projects right now, a car dealership, Several current and future city projects.  Then I realize the economy is pretty freakin good here in Tx.  Oh yeah that doesn't include the house plans I draw on the side.  The building boom is still going here.  It did stall for about a year but it's picking up steam again.

Then on the way home I see some pan handlers begging for money at a stop light.  I look to my right at the store that has a sign on the door that says "HELP WANTED" and then I look at the bum again and shake my head in disbelief.

Oh yeah, and I just bought a new car yesterday :) Well it's a 2000 but it's cherry! Chevy Impala,  jet black exterior with tan leather interior.  The LE model so it's got all the bells and whistles :)  The dealership I purchased it from was very busy as were the others I went to shop at.

In July we went on our company fishing trip to Rock Port, Tx.  We stayed in a brand new hotel, it was opened the week before we got there.  The place was huge, 6 floors and probably 100 rooms on each floor.  It was full to capacity....

I go out driving on the weekend and there is traffic all over town.  Now Austin does suck for traffic,  but if you look at all the stores, they're packed with people shopping, and a lot of pan handlers too (guess they know where to go to get fed)

36 million people under the poverty level? Hmm that means roughly 200+ million people above the poverty level.  Me thinks the 36 million did something wrong.  They put their faith in something they shouldn't have or didn't save money.  They did something wrong.

The economy isn't as bad as the media/dems portray it to be, at least not in Texas.  I'd be willing to be though that in the next year it's going to get real bad, at least if you listen to the dems. ;)

Offline Frogm4n

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Poverty up during Bush
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2003, 12:20:25 PM »
Okay toad, its been over 2 years its time to give up on the whole "9/11 is to blame for all of bush's problems".

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Poverty up during Bush
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2003, 12:21:21 PM »
Originally posted by Frogm4n
Okay toad, its been over 2 years its time to give up on the whole "9/11 is to blame for all of bush's problems".

Ok frogman it's been 20 something years, time to give up on the whole "I think I'm smart thing" :D

Offline Frogm4n

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Poverty up during Bush
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2003, 12:22:58 PM »
once again attacking me and not the subject matter. Bravo!
I like your darwinistic aproach to human life udie, its very christian of you.

Offline Frogm4n

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Poverty up during Bush
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2003, 12:26:01 PM »
gsholtz, just visit the states and go drive around the non suburb parts. The numbers sound right. But guess what the "average" income is increaseing! yAay.

Offline Frogm4n

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Poverty up during Bush
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2003, 12:35:12 PM »
well gsholtz they obviously have done something wrong in their lives to get to that point. Like be born into a poor family, lost their jobs due to structural unemployement, or just be black.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Poverty up during Bush
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2003, 12:37:53 PM »
tryin to put the cart before the horse?

lets create the jobs THEN the economy will improve

psst it is from the '90's bubble burst

but elect a handsomehunkcrat in 04, have him raise taxes - that oughta fix it :rolleyes:
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Poverty up during Bush
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2003, 12:39:24 PM »
Frogy and Gscholz,

Go up a couple of posts and read mine. And froggy,  that wasn't a personal attack it was a joke hense the :D   I usually don't post emoticons when I'm personaly attacking somebody ;)  Besides,  I'm not in a personal attacking mood today I'm too happy :D  Got a new ride.

I'm off to the carpet store after work to get a pad for my parking spot at my apartment :D

Offline Frogm4n

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Poverty up during Bush
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2003, 12:39:38 PM »
actually eagler, clack is promoting investment in the infrastructure. Not tax hikes. This isnt about the economy, its about the growing gap between the class's.

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Poverty up during Bush
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2003, 12:42:14 PM »
Originally posted by Frogm4n
well gsholtz they obviously have done something wrong in their lives to get to that point. Like be born into a poor family, lost their jobs due to structural unemployement, or just be black.

Or not go get a job, or not save money, or on drugs, or didn't move to where there are jobs, or didn't do a good job on the last one, or are just generaly lazy, or don't mind living in poverty because even our poor have their basic needs met (most of them anyway). Too many places that still need workers for that many people to be out of work.

Offline Frogm4n

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Poverty up during Bush
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2003, 12:43:23 PM »
like i said before, thats a great christian outlook on poverty in your own country. A very uneducated view, but a christian one.

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Poverty up during Bush
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2003, 12:50:49 PM »
Unfortunately I don't have time to spar today,  I'm already over my lunch time.  I don't think my view is Christian or what ever you want to call it, it's from looking at the environment around me and from looking at all the different industries that are employing the engineering firm I work for.  Civil engineering doesn't get done if somebody isn't investing money, period.  People don't invest millions of dollars into projects if they don't think they'll make those millions back, plus profit.

Do I think all of the unemployed did something wrong?  Of course not,  I'm sure mental illness plays a part with many of them.  I'd be willing to bet though most did something wrong in their lives.  BUT :D Most liberals I know wouldn't understand what I'm talking about because it has to do with personal responsibility.

that's all from me for a while,  I'll try and pop in later and rebut ;)