Author Topic: Wind velocity variants  (Read 137 times)

Offline Thorns

• Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/computerpilot/
Wind velocity variants
« on: December 05, 1999, 08:11:00 PM »
I would like to see some wind variants at different altitude levels.  Also would be cool if there was wind on the ground.  It doesn't have to be gale force, but a nice 10-20mph variable wind(changes like the movement of clouds) would teach people to use the correct runway for takeoffs and landings.  It also would be cool for crosswind takeoffs and landings.  Just a thought...for down the road.

Thorns_Musketeer  

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
Wind velocity variants
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 1999, 08:24:00 PM »
Hehe, now there's a way to cut down on the Spitfire numbers - put a 10mph+ crosswind on every runway! I think that was the maximum allowable crosswind for the Spitfire to takeoff with?

Tailight

Wind velocity variants
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 1999, 08:49:00 PM »
The 'wind' would be a good addition to sim.
but, I remember a version of WB, that implemented winds, that hurted bombing accuracy too much... and some version later,
there were no more winds...

[This message has been edited by Tailight (edited 12-05-1999).]

Offline Thorns

• Nickel Member
Wind velocity variants
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 1999, 10:21:00 PM »
I think you can model wind so it only effects the planes and not the bombs????  Maybe just an arrow at the bottom right corner of the screen pointing wind direction and on the arrow a number of the velocity.  Still just a thought.......

Thorns_Musketeer

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Wind velocity variants
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 1999, 07:49:00 AM »
crosswind?

I'd just hop off the runway and take off head ing into it.
Crosswind problem solved.

-Westy

Offline Fester'

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Wind velocity variants
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 1999, 01:36:00 PM »
>>I think you can model wind so it only effects the planes and not the bombs???? <<

Huh?  why "Wouldnt" you want it to affect bombs?  This is a fairly realistic flight simulation.  Winds over the target area were a huge consideration in real life.

I think the Bombing aspect of this game should be as challenging as the ACM aspect

Offline Thunder

• Nickel Member
      • Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group
Wind velocity variants
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 1999, 02:13:00 PM »
Fester,
I like your idea as to the wind and dificulty for buffs dropping bombs. If wind effects a bomb however, there should be an indicator for the wind in the bombsight and a way to correct for it. If a Bomber flies for an hour to a target, makes it though the fighters, adjusts for windage and is accurate on dropping his bombs he SHOULD get a hit. For GAMEPLAY in a short cycled arena there needs to be a reward for a fighter pilot or bomber if they do certain things right. Thats what keeps us coming back.

Thunder
Aces High DickweedHBG: www.dickweedhbg.com

Offline Thorns

• Nickel Member
Wind velocity variants
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 1999, 07:21:00 PM »
Westy, not if they modeled the airplane to damage the gear(at high speeds) when not on runway, OR you have to get permission note from Fighter Command for soft field take-off(hardly likely as the guys with the birds on their collars hate to give permission to anything but "by the book").  ;-)  LOL!

Thorns_Musketeer

-blk--

Wind velocity variants
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 1999, 11:13:00 PM »
  1)Wind indicator in the bombsight...

Why?  It's not too hard to figure it out.  The limitation to doing this in AH is that we don't have the maps to do it.  But in RL, I calculate it about every 20 minutes (so I have an excuse to give a PIREP, since I always like to know what the winds aloft REALLY are...)

If you had to calculate them, there would evolve a system of pilot reporting...  Of course, HTC could always have the computer "generate" a forecast before you took off and you could use that to calculate where you should drop your bombs (or have a window where you entered wind direction/speed into the bombsight and let it compensate--at least you'd have to GET that info...).

2)Off runway operations...  

They aren't that difficult.  Especially since we've got taildraggers here.  Now, it depends on exactly how rough we're talking about here, and I do realise that the 109's would take a big hit...  But I've been on unimproved fields in nosedraggers and watched the main gear slamming back and forth four inches...  They're MUCH more forgiving than you'd think.  Of course, AH can't exactly model the "holy cow, I'm gonna catch all heck if I break these things off" factor  .

Actually, Grass is easier and more forgiving in many ways than paved runways, there are a lot of Warbirds out there that REALLY prefer grass to pavement for that reason (Black 6 was one of them if memory serves...).

Just my .02 (although it comes across as a dime and a nick)...

blk  (AT)