Author Topic: Rush is a Fool  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2003, 06:34:30 PM »
Did Mcnabb get hired because of that?
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2003, 06:39:54 PM »
Are you asking my opinion?  I can't give you Rush's, as I told you the last few times you tried to make that connection it was never discussed on NFL Countdown.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2003, 06:41:47 PM »
you brought up hiring practices, not me.

So by your thinking, if he said Jason Sehorn was not that good of a cornerback, it was the media who wanted to see a white conerback succeed, you would agree with that?
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2003, 06:42:59 PM »
Originally posted by Fatty
Exactly.  Or if it was not rhetorical, ask Johnny Cochran.

Ladies and Gentlemen of this supposed jury, this is Chewbacca. Chewbacca is a wookie, from the planet Kishik. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. That does not make sense.

Why would a wookie, an 8 foot tall wookie, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of two foot tall Ewoks. That does not make sense.

But more importantly, you must ask yourself: what does this have to do with this case? Nothing. Ladies and Gentlemen of this supposed jury, it has nothing to do with this case. Look at me, I'm a lawyer, defending a major record company, and I'm talking about Chewbacca. I am not making any sense. None of this makes any sense.

So, when you're in that jury room debating and conjugating the Emancipation Proclamation, you must ask yourself this question: Does it make sense?

No. It does not make sense. If Chewbacca lives on Endor you must acquit. The defense rests.
sand

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2003, 06:45:05 PM »
My head just exploded :)

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2003, 06:46:12 PM »
So by your thinking, if he said Jason Sehorn was not that good of a cornerback, it was the media who wanted to see a white conerback succeed, you would agree with that?

[edit]You ask a hypothetical question based on the condition that he is overrated and then you say you can't say he's overrated because he's not?  If he is overrated and why he is overrated are two seperate things.  The first would, in the opinion of those who don't think he's overrated, discredit what he has accomplished on the field.  The second is an opinion on why the first exists.

Yes.  Because it's human nature.

It's human nature to want to see a white basketball player like Van Horn succeed in a league that is majority african american, especially at the superstar level.

It's human nature to want to see a Tommy Morrison succeed in heavyweight boxing.

It's human nature to want to see Anthony Nesty win gold medals in swimming.

It's human nature to be pleased black quarterbacks have broken the stereotypes against them.

But apparantly it's racist to admit it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2003, 06:58:31 PM by Fatty »

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2003, 06:49:06 PM »
Yes.  Because it's human nature.

That doesn't make it right to discredit what Jason Sehorn accomplished in this league because of the color of his skin. The media did not make him a good cornerback. Jason Sehorn did.

"Sorry to say this, I don't think (McNabb) has been that good from the get-go; I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well, black coaches and quarterbacks doing well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

Rush, or his sources, or both, apparently don't think that much of the skills of McNabb. On the other hand, some people do. Jon Gruden, probably the top offensive talent evaluator in the league right now, raved about McNabb from that same get-go, the Senior Bowl of McNabb's senior year out of Syracuse. Gruden raved about what a great pro McNabb would be. Loved him. McNabb has since made Pro Bowls and twice played in the NFC Championship Game and two years ago finished runner-up as the MVP of the entire league. And he isn't even 30 years old.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2003, 07:18:51 PM by Sixpence »

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2003, 07:39:20 PM »
Again, if he is overrated and why he is overrated are two different things.

Anyone who thinks the Eagles' defense was underrated the last two years is implying McNabb is overrated.  I don't think he's overrated, but I don't think it's a farfetched argument that the defense didn't get enough credit in those championship runs either.  If you're of that opinion you've already taken away from McNabb's accomplishments on the field regardless of why you think he got more credit than the defense.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #98 on: October 04, 2003, 08:39:43 PM »
Again, if he is overrated and why he is overrated are two different things.

Anyone who thinks the Eagles' defense was underrated the last two years is implying McNabb is overrated.  I don't think he's overrated, but I don't think it's a farfetched argument that the defense didn't get enough credit in those championship runs either.  If you're of that opinion you've already taken away from McNabb's accomplishments on the field regardless of why you think he got more credit than the defense.

That isn't what was said, here ya go, the quote:
"Sorry to say this, I don't think (McNabb) has been that good from the get-go; I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well, black coaches and quarterbacks doing well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

That is not saying the QB got more credit than the defense. It's saying that Mcnabb was never a good QB. That he got credit for being a good QB because he was black. Mcnabb was 75% of the philly offense in 2000 and 79% of the offense in 2001. I would say that he was carrying the offense, no?

QB's get all the press. Tom brady was given too much credit when the Patriot defense carried them. I will not say that it was because he was white.( or did Rush)

And you are right, the philly defense does not get the credit it deserves.( I will not say it is because the players on it's defense are black or white) Welcome to life in the NFL. QB's get the press, ask broadway Joe.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2003, 08:50:48 PM by Sixpence »

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2003, 08:50:27 PM »
QB's get all the press. Tom brady was given too much credit when the Patriot defense carried them. I will not say that it was because he was white.( or did Rush)
LOL! YOU SAID IT BECAUSE HE WAS WHITE.

MiniD

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #100 on: October 04, 2003, 08:52:10 PM »
Originally posted by Mini D
LOL! YOU SAID IT BECAUSE HE WAS WHITE.

MiniD

That was the point.

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2003, 08:54:21 PM »
he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team

That is not saying the QB got more credit than the defense

Are you high?

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2003, 08:55:37 PM »
Are you high?

I wish

"Sorry to say this, I don't think (McNabb) has been that good from the get-go; I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well"

That is not saying the QB got more credit than the defense. Again, 75% of the offense in 2000, 79% of the offense in 2001.

Jon Gruden, probably the top offensive talent evaluator in the league right now, raved about McNabb from that same get-go, the Senior Bowl of McNabb's senior year out of Syracuse. Gruden raved about what a great pro McNabb would be. Loved him. McNabb has since made Pro Bowls and twice played in the NFC Championship Game and two years ago finished runner-up as the MVP of the entire league.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2003, 08:58:26 PM by Sixpence »

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #103 on: October 04, 2003, 09:03:04 PM »
Cut the quote even shorter and maybe you can have him throwing the time-out flag just to say 'black.'

Then you can throw out some more offensive stats that have nothing to do with whether the defense was underrated or not.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #104 on: October 04, 2003, 09:07:12 PM »
I got that cut the quote trick from you;)

Of course the defense was underated(but not by much, Andy reid has received alot of credit for his defense)

But you are picking the second part of his quote to dismiss the first part. We are not debating that he was wrong in saying the defense didn't get enough credit. The fact that it was the QB(getting the credit) because he is black is what is being debated.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2003, 09:16:34 PM by Sixpence »