Author Topic: Warning !! Whining about Uberpony enters new level...  (Read 191 times)

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Warning !! Whining about Uberpony enters new level...
« on: December 06, 1999, 04:56:00 AM »
Just an idea. Anyone who complains about a plane FM, or suspects some things need tweaking, should film the fights, and make it available to anyone interested, especially game designers.

Maybe we could have another forum, with films available as attachments. How about it, HTC crew ? Think about it: "LW whining about uber Pony" forum, "LW whining about uber Spit" forum, "US not whining about anything" forum, etc.

I have one of those myself, wild Pony does TnB on the deck  

OK, not necessary the whining, some good duels may also qualify.

Offline -ik-

• Copper Member
      • http://members.cruzio.com/~jeffs
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 1999, 06:31:00 AM »
leonid made a good point in another thread... Don't just assume that it's the other guys ride that is over-modelled, when it could be your ride that is under-modelled! As far as the 109 is concerned, pyro accidently porked it last release, and it will be back to its previous performance soon.

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 1999, 08:53:00 AM »
[whine]
Hmmm, you should see this tape, -ik.

I met a Pony co E, used verticals while he went for aggressive turns, tight and mostly horizontal. He was getting better of me, but luckily friendly Spit joined the fight.

I extended for 30 seconds to grab E, and was coming back into the fight.

That Pony flat turned with Spit on the deck.  It turned tighter in nose to tail turn for 270 degrees, only with slight nose high attitude. He got on Spit 6, killed it, another flat turn almost 180 degrees and shallow climb.

I came much faster and a bit higher than the Pony, did a chandelle, while Pony dove to grab speed. It dove for few seconds (100-200 meters alt lost), pulled up, back in flat turn and nose up to meet my bounce.

Well, we both died there.
[/whine]

I was in 25% fuel, 2 MG 151 190 there.

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 1999, 02:41:00 PM »
Sounds like a damn good fight to me  

shower

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 1999, 04:52:00 PM »
shouldn't do a chandelle, it went out after wwi with the advent of better engines.  a high-g yo-yo is pretty much the same thing only more aggressive.

TIC,
shower

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 1999, 07:40:00 PM »
Always hard to judge a turnfight simply by who got on whose 6 for the kill.

The pony can turn pretty well at speed, and at 250 kias dropping a notch of flaps can really boost its sustained turn ability.

A slow spit versus a fast pony in a turnfight should just about always result in one dead spitfire, so long as the pony driver uses a few little yoyo's to cut the horizontal corner.

------------------
C.O. Phoenix Squadron
www.users.bigpond.com/afinlayson/index.htm
'feel the heat .......'

Offline -ik-

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 1999, 08:34:00 PM »
laminar flow wings were terrible at a high aoa, though I've never seen this represented in a sim yet...

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 1999, 10:40:00 PM »
Judging by turn radius, it couldn't have been high speed turn (that 270 degree one). And then another turn, and then shallow climb.

Also, remember than he turned aggresively against me, than Spit, and again against me. He went for nose to tail turn with Spit, after they scissored for one turn, which showed them travelling at fairly equal speed. Only then he did slight high yoyo, but it was not that effective, they were both slow. He had to burn speed in the process, and there was no time for him to gain any. It was a 1000 ft alt deck fight, no dive possible. Hmmm...

Ok, nevermind, I agree that there still are too many unknowns - fuel loadout, pilot quality etc.

One question for 2 of participants in this thread:

You were both pretty sure to be flying 190, and only 190 when it was announced in AH. One of you even said he will have to be dragged out of one's cockpit.

Now, seriously, why did you stay with P 51D ? No flames intended, just a clear answer, please. Was it maybe because 190 performs worse than you expected, or Pony performs better ?

I know why I quit my 109, btw.

[This message has been edited by Hristo (edited 12-07-1999).]

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 1999, 01:22:00 AM »
hristo, think about this a bit.  before the 109 got emasculated (accidently by Pyro, and he openly admits it occurring while working on the C.205) do you recall thinking that the 51 was all that much of an uber plane?  I can remember that my only real fear as a la5 driver was, not the 51, but the 109.

let's wait and see - WAIT AND SEE - if the 109 returns in all its high powered glory when Pyro finally addresses the fm.  and to be honest, if Pyro hasn't already decided to reassess the 51 at this point, then he most likely won't.  besides all the anecdotal impressions and stories, Pyro has also been posted with charts for speed and acceleration for the various fighters.  hearing any more isn't going to do much now.

just dig up a little patience, and wait it out until he finally gets to the fm's, and if the 109 still sucks, then start up again  

my two guppies, anyway

------------------
129 IAP VVS RKKA

ingame: Raz

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 1999, 01:47:00 AM »
Actually,the 190a8 in AH & WB are very close in FM and handle about the same. Wait till AH models the 190a4 and see how many fly it..

190a4 rocks in WB,handles & turns well and definatly has a place in AH..

I am JG26 in WB and know the LW planes well.And in the RPS they fit in nicely. Cant beat the 109F & 190a4 in there respective place in an RPS..

Until we go to a RPS in AH a lot of the planes just wont fit.c205 is one at the moment.This AC will find it place in an arena that has RPS in place..

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 1999, 02:09:00 AM »
Understood, Leonid. I am sorry if I repeat myself for so many times about the same subject.

But now I found a new plane, and it is 190. Good thing our 109 lost power, so I was forced to fly 190. Now I can't live without it  

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 1999, 08:26:00 AM »
Fw190 beats every plane in my heart (in AH..)

Little reasons:
Me109: Hogs fuel real fast.

La5: Low fuel, doesn't hog fuel as fast as

109 but doesnt fly long either. (main tank
vs main tank)

C.205: Talk about real gas hog, can see fuel gauge sprinting!

Spitfrie: Too easy to fight with.

P-51: Too easy to fight with.

F4u: I miss the cannons and maneuverability I require from my flight.

Fw190: now, this is the real one, has fuel, good maneuverability, nice amounts of ammo, enough fast, has some challenge in flying one  

Ice

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 1999, 08:15:00 PM »
Fishu

The spit is easy to fly I agree....almost like cheating

However, the 190 is also easy to fly flown correctly

I am and will always be a Pony Driver simply due to 8 yrs and three different online flight sims worth of enjoyment

Understanding the physics of flight and the limitations of your bird, not to mention a little SA and some patience thrown in, doth make a good time.....anything else is yuk!

Ive yet to meet a 190 I couldnt kill provided I meet him on my terms and not his

If any advantage exists, it is in the roll rate and guns....jus gotta know how to deal with it(Run)

My $.02 Worth

Ice Out

Offline -ik-

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 1999, 09:16:00 PM »

Ive yet to meet a 190 I couldnt kill provided I meet him on my terms and not his

hehe, guess you never met drex in wb, or wulf for that matter  

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 1999, 12:24:00 AM »
IK..

Hehe,Ice has met both   He is -soul- in WB my Squad mate, And yup,im --wd--  

Greets IK,toss the Mac out the window or ya flyin AH on a buddies system