Author Topic: Pricing,Rif-Raf,strategy,alt mongers.....  (Read 335 times)

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Pricing,Rif-Raf,strategy,alt mongers.....
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 1999, 04:15:00 AM »
Yeah - there are some great rolling hills west of 22, and of course F1 is blessed with a bunch of these. I don't know if it's a frame-rate issue that the terrain is predominately flat, but I too would love to see more of these hills.

sparviero

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 1999, 08:34:00 AM »
Rattler, do I understand well when i say that you are proposing something "CFS"-like, with smaller arenas you can set by yourself waiting for others to join?

I think the major propblem is to set the Main Arena in a way that objective for all sides are set and clear enough to avoid the endless furballs you see in MA of WB.
the idea of limited resources is good: but I don't know how many people would accept to join the arena and take the available plane because theyr favorite ride isn't available.

On the other end we shouldn't forget that maybe there are also a lot of people expecting big and endless furballs: so the risk is to create a "furball arena" like the MA in WB and a "serious" (please understand that I'm not writing in my mother tongue, so the word's choice might be unhappy) arena whit the risk for it to end like the Historical Arena in WB...to be or not to be?

I don't know what is the value added to the discussion by this my response, maybe zero. Take it as if I was reasoning by myself loud..I'm geting older and i speak alone...

Ciao

Luigi "falco" Pacetti

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 1999, 10:15:00 AM »
Perhaps, there could be a player configurable arean or two, for use by squads.

The squads would check the scheduleing of the arena(s) and then put themselves, and their competeing squad on the schedule.

Then during that period, the squads set the arena setting.

They can choose to limit it to members of the two squads, or allow "Lone Targets" to join.

Players/Squads could then lobby for the setting they want, and encourage others to join.

Say I wanna run a CBI Scenario.

I configure the Arena Thusly.

100 P-40Cs available.
50 Hurricane 1s.
25 Brewster Buffaloes.
150 Ki-44s.
50 Ki-41s.
6 B-25Cs.
40 G3Ms
40 G4Ms
20 A5M.
15 I-16s

CBI Terrain.

AVG; Limited Fuel, Functional Radios (text Buffers) and Radar.

IJA; No Radios, No Radar.

RAF; Same as AVG.

I schedule this to be PLAYER ARENA 1 on a Saturday starting at say 11:00 A.M. EST (6:00 A.M. GMT)

We get Two Hours or 4 Hours depending on how I schedule.

I then come here to the UBB, perhaps the is a player arena UBB and announce that I got PA1 and am doing this setup, and I need 20 minimum flyers.

If say, Friday at 12:00 P.M. EST (7:00 A.M. GMT) I don't have my 20 pilots, the Arena is then offered to the next Player Scenario Scheduler. (And he has to find 20 Pilots.)

Squad Leaders and volunteer an entire squadron by simply posting a "Outlaws 16 Members Message) then there would be a tally of Volunteers on the Schedule.

Players Arenas that regularly get a large number of Participants can be considered for incorporation as Permanent Arenas, or Regularly Rotated Arenas.

Be cool to also have a "On This Day in History" Arena, where famous Air Battles can be fought, using Realistic Settings.

Say Every December 7th (or the Sunday/Saturday immediately before or after the 7th) they run the "Pearl Harbor" Scenario.

As I said somewhere I would like to do this, but allow the U.S. Forces to get the warning of the imminate attack at 5 Minute intervals, up to 40 minutes warning.

They could pop in the BoB arena in the Spring and Summer.

Interrupt it for Midway.

Toss in a Malta occasionally.

Just have a schedule of "Historical Arenas" to rotate.

------------------
"I could feel the 20MM Cannon impacting behind me so I made myself small behind the pilot armor" Charlie Bond AVG
lkbrown1@tir.com
 http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
Very Opinionated Person.

Rattler of The OUTLAWS

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 1999, 08:33:00 PM »
Downtown,
Very nice,well thought out idea. Where as unlimited arena's may be too much,having a two of three "Configurable" Arena's would be
just fine.Infact, it would help keep them full.

Folks could log in (Paying Customers)have the option of 2 to 3 Mini-Senario's or the Main.

The big differece to WB is that these would be player choosen,offering Virtually Unlimited formats,seeing literally 100 or more different setups having been run in a 24 hour stretch.Everyone could find something to keep them happy,or join the Massive Main if thats what you desire.

The NON-paying customers could still chew on the hook with Dale's and Doug's 4 to 8 player
H2H air combat offering.

I do Dare Taunt that once everyone could taste a limited aircraft/resource engagement
and feel the pressure and feel of XTRA urgencey to make the right desicion,they may
enjoy it more than the Main than they might think  

Thanks for Reading!
Rattler.....   (thunder,again I was referring to only those that posted feedback as to what I had said,You just gave a simply thumbs down with no explanation,therefor It WASN'T about You,please get over it allready)

Offline Thunder

• Nickel Member
      • Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 1999, 04:51:00 PM »
Rattler,
You posted an idea of what would be fun to you. I personally think the concept is flawed in that it undermines and draws off pilots that might otherwise be in the main arena. It fractures pilots into self serving splinter groups. The opportunities for teamwork and cooperation with strat can't be accomplished by small numbers.Basically it appears that you don't like the structure in this simulation and want to create your own! PLEASE GET IN TOUCH WITH CK AND DO SO! THEY REALY KNOW WHAT THE PUBLIC WANTS AND HOW TO PRODUCE IT! I was in CK beta too! Blaaah! I wouldn't want to play it but if others do... have a good time! Warbirds did a bit of that in some of the private scenerio stuff and they were never full. I can think of one squad that was once a very good squad that suffered when they went to that stucture. The squad served as fodder for some that had a blast but the result was not good for that squad. I like short (6 frame)well thought out scenerios. That is where things should be modified for playablity and a fun change. Read these newsgroups and if there were as many options to play as ideas we would have KAOS! I like structure and and not moving targets! To fly in all arenas that are all inconsistant would be very frustrating to me!

Thunder
Aces High DickweedHBG: www.dickweedhbg.com

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 1999, 06:05:00 PM »
Rattler S!
  I flew in the CKII beta.  The big draw to me was squadron play.  Ya know in jet fighter games you can get into a set mission game and actually have a real task to do to "win" the mission.  In WWII and WWI games we have huge arenas to furball in.  
   For a lot of players this is a fun concept and has a place in the game.  BUT for some of us also having a way, whether on the server or being able to set up the server, to have a true goal to win brings something new into the game.  A real goal, a real winner.  No changing sides. No replaning once a plane type is gone.  Real Limited fuel.  
    Now I KNOW that not all gamers would go for this BUT IMHO it would give squads something real to do and be able to have a REAL squad ladder system in place. It would also allow for non squad aligned players to join in to fill the gaps on the server for the duration of the mission.

How many times has someone gotten just plain bored with takeoff, grab alt, fly out, shoot someone down and rtb or get shot down start over.  I love the way AH is shaping up and the 8player version may help fill the gap but I do think the mission based arena that is configureable prior to the game would be awesome!
    I am not searching for flames just trying to get across how I know a few of us feel.

Rocket
The Red Dragons
Fierce and Bold
With Honour and Courage

Smitty

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 1999, 07:20:00 PM »
How about just a plain old change of airfields once and awhile.  Like just rearrange them.  I bet every buff pilot knows "exactly" where all the factories are located, and where all the ack is at the fields.

Make it harder by having positions change once and while.

Just my 2 cents.

BTW...I'm really starting to like this game.  You guys on the boards are mostly cordial and polite.  Been around some that contain the worst of all humanity.

Kudo's and Thank You.

Smitty "One of these day's I'll learn to fly fighters"

Rattler of The OUTLAWS

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 1999, 06:54:00 PM »
Thunder, You said........
"You posted an idea of what would be fun to you. I personally think the concept is flawed
                    in that it undermines and draws off pilots that might otherwise be in the main arena. It
                    fractures pilots into self serving splinter groups."

If its flawed then no-one would participate
in these sub-arena's,and you got nothing to be worried about. IF,its not flawed then let folks DECIDE where they want to play instead
of being Hurded into Your Main Arena.

"The opportunities for teamwork and
                    cooperation with strat can't be accomplished by small numbers."

I couldn't Disagree more!Arena's with 20 players per side FOCUSED together will be a
better display of teamwork than the Wildly
Mixed Interests Main.

Aces High has a flight Model,3D cockpit,graphics engine very similar to CKII
and I'd love to see them OPEN UP the game a little and hit the HOLE in the Sim Market.
WWII ONLINE will go another route alltogether.

Rattler

HaHa

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 1999, 07:17:00 PM »
I think its a GREAT idea. However, instead of player configurable make two or three arenas that have been setup by the host. The first arena could be the *cough* *boring* *cough cough* type of arena we currently have. The other arena could have full strategy, limited planes, all the good stuff.

Try running those two arenas, see which one is more popular after a couple months and see what the gamers prefer. Of course I doubt the HTC group even reads these forums.. sigh.