Author Topic: Rush admits pain killer addiction  (Read 2487 times)

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
Rush admits pain killer addiction
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2003, 10:24:22 PM »
That is a pretty sweeping generalisation there, isn't it?

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2003, 10:27:56 PM »
Originally posted by Gadfly
That is a pretty sweeping generalisation there, isn't it?

Gadfly, you didn't know we are all racists?  We are, we just don't stereotype...:rolleyes:
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Lazerus

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2003, 11:44:37 PM »
My god, what a bunch of idiots.

strk, you are their leader.

Offline Twist

• Nickel Member
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2003, 04:16:11 AM »
Well every good leader needs a sig, so here ya go:

I am their leader, which way did they go?

Use it in good health :D
Razer

Hellcat FG

"They porked the Hellcat? Why did they do that?"

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2003, 07:57:52 AM »
If a person admits to being hooked on drugs and seeks treatment I don't believe the authorities even consider arresting him if he has no drugs on him at the time.   So far as the person selling.... Wouldn't they be more interested in arresting that person or that dealers source?   How were the illegal perscription drugs gotten would be the real question for the cops..  burglary?  Crooked dr.?

Without evidence, Or a possesion charge they woud not go after a user I wouldn't think.

Has anyone ever heard of a user being arrested because a drug dealer said he sold small ammounts of drugs to the user?

lazs
lazs

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2003, 08:27:37 AM »
Originally posted by Saurdaukar
Wonderful example of what seperates Liberals from Conservatives:  Accountability.

Accountability would have been seeking help for the several years he has been addicted. We are all accountable when we get caught, it's the law.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2003, 08:42:26 AM »
The biggest problem I see with decriminalizing drugs is that the goverment (local, state and federal) then sees a big cash cow and soon has a vested interest in making sure people buy the stuff, kinda like cigarettes. The time we as a society become financially dependent on other peoples' misery will be a sad time, indeed.....or am I wrong?

Slim03

Offline DmdNexus

• Silver Member
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2003, 09:10:25 AM »
>>the goverment (local, state and federal) then sees a big cash cow

Sort of like state lotteries? Which is what... "Gambling".. right?

And which demographical group is most subseptable to Gambling... the poor and elderly.

30 years ago... it would have been suicide for a politician to suggest legalizing any sort of gambling.

BINGO survived all those years only because of the petulant Catholic Lobbists on Capitol Hill bribing Congressmen with Papal Absolutions... Big Business there with all the sinning going on there.

Yes, let's legalize drugs and prostitution - it's happening... it wont' stop, The moralists are not winning this war.

At least put some controls on it. That's the humane thing to do. Those who want it, those who are addicted to these vices, at least can do so with some safety.... and besides... the right wing can take their pictures, gather their names and addresses... and then secretly send the CIA and Delta force to assassinate them in the middle of the night and send them all to hell where the can burn in the fires of damnation for eternity.

Duh! Get with the right wing agenda!! Down with the drug using sodomizers and fornicaters.

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2003, 09:20:21 AM »
Originally posted by DmdNexus
>>

Sort of like state lotteries? Which is what... "Gambling".. right?

And which demographical group is most subseptable to Gambling... the poor and elderly.

30 years ago... it would have been suicide for a politician to suggest legalizing any sort of gambling.

I never was in favor of the lottery, either, for that reason. It's just government officials pandering to the lowest common denominator of society.

Offline strk

• Nickel Member
« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2003, 10:58:36 AM »
It's just government officials pandering to the lowest common denominator of society.

G.Gordon Lidy called it a tax for the mathematically impaired.  Not sure if thats his own material or not, he has been known to steal things

strk

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2003, 12:12:37 PM »
Originally posted by Sixpence
Accountability would have been seeking help for the several years he has been addicted. We are all accountable when we get caught, it's the law.

No, that would have been responsible.

Taking a full minute of his 4 minute stint to tell people that it was HIS choice to continue to take pain medication instead of op for another surgery... telling people that he is NOT a victim, will not portray himself as a victim, and will not allow others to protray him as a victim is accountability.

He made no excuses for his behavior.  'The man' didnt make him do it, he wasnt from a poor family, his father didnt abuse him, he didnt get pushed into to many lockers in high school, etc, etc.

He alone is responsible for his own actions.  Partisanship aside, when was the last time you heard a celebrity/politician say that?

strk - Any more inflamitory posts out of you towards me, accusations toward me without the slightest whiff of motivation or further displays of blatent stupidity and/or aggression will give you the distinguished honor of being the only person about whom I will have ever formally filed a complaint with HTC.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2003, 12:33:10 PM »
Apparently Rush was a hypocrite. Certainly not the first public figure to be labled such. Do they put people in jail for that? If he continues with talk radio maybe his shows will be tempered with a bit more compassion?
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2003, 12:52:28 PM »
Originally posted by MC_Honky
Udie,

How many mg's of Xanax we're you taking?  I've seen people come down from 8mg.  No it doesn't last 30 days but it feels like you are going to die..and you wish you will.  Did you taper??  You had to taper- death is possible if you don't.

My prescription was at first for a .25 mg tablet, 3 times daily or as symptoms require (that was the kicker)  Well my 'symptoms' kept getting worse,  I'm sure now that was the physical addiction taking over.  So after the first month he moved me up to .5 mg tables 3 times a day or as symptoms require (again the kicker)  I was scheduled to move up to 1 mg zanbars on my next doctors visit.  When I realized I was addicted I was eating 4mg to 6mg at one time at least twice a day.  So I quit, cold turkey, like I have with any substance I knew I had a problem with.  Well the doctor hadn't told me about the tappering off thing so it did almost kill me :(  

My last prescription was for 90 .5 mg tablets.  I ate it in a week.....  That stuff is bad bad bad bad bad.....

[edit]  I still may sue the guy too....

[edit2]  My withdrawals didn't last anywhere near 30 days.  The first set lasted about 7 days.  The 2nd set lasted only a couple of days and weren't as severe as the primary withdrawal.  That was something I learned there too,  benzodiazapines have 2 distinct withdrawals.  And yeah during the worst of it death was a good option.  I still feel the effects of the siezure I had.  I lost a lot of memory around the time of the event....
« Last Edit: October 13, 2003, 12:55:47 PM by Udie »

Offline MoMoney

• Copper Member
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2003, 01:56:46 PM »
a
« Last Edit: October 13, 2003, 02:04:29 PM by MoMoney »

Offline MC_Honky

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2003, 02:05:49 PM »
You should have checked your'self into a hospital.  Never never go cold Turkey with a Benzo drug- your very lucky to be alive.  You had a full seizure? That is usually the first step before things spiral out of control.  Tapering for about six weeks -min- would have eased your suffering.  Cross medicating with a longer acting Benzo like Valium would be even better.  You need a good Doctor for this ..one who specializes in Benzo detox.  Again- your lucky to be alive.  Did you detox at home?

BTW- 8 mg a day is a pretty damn high dose.  I've heard of 11-14mg habits but I've never seen them.