Author Topic: Rush admits pain killer addiction  (Read 2454 times)

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
Rush admits pain killer addiction
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2003, 11:12:31 PM »
Can't wait to see the spoof on the Daily Show.

The junkie Repud hypo.

:p

Offline Erlkonig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2003, 11:31:55 PM »
Originally posted by Udie
Nice [cough] liberal [/cough] attitude there earl.  His hard times generally make you happy don't they....

I'm not gloating over the man's misfortunes.  His own words condemn himself.  I think the best result of his situation would be for him to realize how destructive the criminalization of addiction and drug abuse is, and how his own preaching on the subject legitamized and encouraged that system.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2003, 11:54:09 PM »
Originally posted by Lance
If this were Al Franken, you would have some people relishing his misfortune and others supporting him -- just like you see with Rush.

I dunno... Im not a huge Rush supporter, but Im definaltely opposed to Franken... yet I wouldnt wish harm on him simply because of his views.

Offline Erlkonig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2003, 12:08:19 AM »
This has been a bad week for the conservative media.  First the Rush story, then O'Reilly's whiny, embarassing, crybaby performance on NPR with well-known harball interviewer Terry Gross.

Offline majic

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2003, 12:11:05 AM »
Saw this on another messgage board I frequent, thought it would add to the conversation:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/10/10/limbaugh.statement/index.html

"I am no victim and do not portray myself as such. I take full responsibility for my problem. "

Make what you will of it.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2003, 12:13:15 AM »
Apparently I missed the O'Reilly incident....references?

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2003, 01:11:58 AM »
"I am no victim and do not portray myself as such. I take full responsibility for my problem. "

Make what you will of it.

well, that cancels out the "poor victim of circumstance" angle, he's a drug addict by choice acording to that statement.  maybe we should ask the Rush from last month what the punishment should be.  what do you bet his answer changed after he got caught.

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2003, 01:17:00 AM »
He could have told the Doctor the meds weren't working, if that was the case, and an alternative pain therapy would have been prescribed. He CHOSE not to do that. The whole "victim of circumstance" arguement is null. [/B]

Well, I take it for a fact that you know he didn't contact his doctor and can prove that he chose not to.  

Look, I am not defending what Rush did, far from it.  I am trying to give a little perspective to some who may not see the way others do.  To call it a "spin" as you did is knee-jerk.  

I am sorry you had to go to the meetings for a year rpm, I truly am.  If it made you a better man so much the better.  But to write off someone else's plight due to the fact that, apparently by your earlier posts in this thread and in others, you do not like nor care for conservatives, much less Rush.  

I am a Rush fan.  I think he gives perspectives that aren't, or I should say weren't, available to me 10 years ago when I was a dyed in the wool liberal.  I just think that his situation is just a little bit more than just a "victim of circumstance" as you put it.  What I do agree with is that if he obtained his drugs illegally, and that is for a court to decide, then they should put his rear in jail.  

Yes he was caught, yes he admitted to it.  I can name a few "libs" who after being caught STILL denied the accusations.  No conservative that I know of has ever considered themselves perfect and free of human faults.  I am no practicing Christian but there is the saying, "We all fall short of the glory of God..."  Even I know what that means.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2003, 05:30:37 AM »
Originally posted by MrLars
Yep, although I loath Rush, being a former addict myself I sincerly hope he can kick his problem....it ain't easy.

Out of curiosity is a 28 day programme realy enough for an addict to change?

Offline Jack55

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2003, 10:23:51 AM »
Will he avoid prosecution by going to rehab?

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2003, 01:38:11 PM »
Originally posted by Jack55

Why not.  It was good enough for Robert Downey, Jr. half a dozen times.  :rolleyes:
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Ozark

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2003, 02:08:50 PM »
Originally posted by DiabloTX
Why not.  It was good enough for Robert Downey, Jr. half a dozen times.  :rolleyes:

Robert Downey Jr was sentenced to a year's live-in drug rehabilitation and three years' probation after pleading no contest to drug charges.

Superior Court Judge Randall White warned Downey Jr that he could go to prison for up to four years if he violated the terms of his probation.

In August 1999 Downey Jr was sentenced to three years in prison for violating his probation by skipping scheduled drug tests, but was released a year later on bail.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2003, 02:27:13 PM »
http://mfile.akamai.com/2493/wmv/pr...ement_video.asx

Here is the video of Rush making the announcement on his show.

Wonderful example of what seperates Liberals from Conservatives:  Accountability.

Offline Ozark

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2003, 02:36:30 PM »
Originally posted by Jack55

Depends if any of any federal laws were violated to obtain the illegal drugs. If so, then the federal mandatory minimum sentencing could come into effect. However, Prosecutors, not judges, have the discretion to decide whether to reduce a charge, whether to accept or deny a plea bargain, whether to reward or deny a defendant's "substantial assistance" or cooperation in the prosecution of someone else, and ultimately, to determine what the final sentence will be.

Note: That’s my understanding of Federal mandatory minimum sentencing. I made only 3 arrests that were kicked up to Federal prosecutors. The vast majority of arrests are dealt with at the state or municipal courts level.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2003, 02:48:37 PM by Ozark »

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2003, 02:39:28 PM »
imo rush killed conserviatives this past month.
II/JG3 DGS II