Author Topic: Language filter is on the WRONG end!  (Read 624 times)

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Language filter is on the WRONG end!
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2000, 04:04:00 PM »

Do you think a new guy in the arena is gonna be able to configure his *bad language* filter? I have a hard enough time getting them flying. I could see me in the TA.

Nope.. not at all.  I don't believe it should be documented at all either.

Basically, if someone is adamant about being able to curse on the comms.. allow them a means to do it.  Of course nobody will hear them.. but so be it.

The default will be no cursing.  The only people that will see cursing on the text buffer will be those that willfully enabled it.

That is something called CHOICE.

AKDejaVu

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2000, 04:31:00 PM »
DejaVu, that sends the message that profainty is an exceptible behavior in AH.
If you don't like it just use your filter or squelch me.

That same idea can extends well beyond profanity and can realy degrade the fun that people can have online.

In reality only a few people have been abusing the system, but they were creating frustations for a lot of people.

The filter has nothing to do about ethical choice people wish to make. It does have a lot to do with what will make the community larger and have more fun.

As to going overboard, some times problems are best delt with via a swift kick in the pance,just to make your point.
You can always easy off later.

P.S.

Just had a very strange thought, in all my time online, when anyone asked some one to clean up there launguge, I have never once heard anyone else respond, oh let him use all the bad laungage he wants, I realy like hearing all that stuff.

HiTech

Renfield

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2000, 04:32:00 PM »

Originally posted by AKDejaVu:
That is something called CHOICE.

Ummm, and it isn't HTC's choice to implement the filter how they see fit and to cut the profanity in the arena? This is their business. I think they have a choice too. They made the call to implement this as they did. What is your problem with it?

I think it is fine where it is as it is. It stops the vast majority of the cursing - cold. Why do you have such a strong need to cuss?

And what is to question about my motives? You think I'm some sort of commie censor trying to take over the grand 'ole USA? Nothing farther from the truth. I'm sick of the 2-week wonders who get in and cuss up a storm when everyone/someone doesn't drop everything to help them when they don't read the help they are getting or bother to read the help files. I'm tired of the subscribing 8-15 year olds who rant and cuss because others don't fly exactly as they want them to. I'm tired of the "adults" who also can't control their languange and don't respect that there are people who object to that on the open and country channels. And I'm tired of the extreme profanity that occasionally occurs when someone asks that the profanity end because they have a kid or grandkid watching. That is my motive.

Me thinks thou doth protest to much Deja. Do you have the need to cuss and spew profanity? May I suggest AOL chatrooms if that is what you need to do. Let's try to keep AH a little nicer place to enjoy recreation.

If you want to cuss to someone, open up a RW channel and cuss away. That way it is confined to only those on the channel and they can easily leave that RW channel without having to leave AH.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2000, 04:36:00 PM »

DejaVu, that sends the message that profainty is an exceptible behavior in AH.

???

Making it default to filtering?  Making it so someone actually has to enable it?  What it says is "nobody has to listen to your crap".  That is all.

Much better than the "Behave children!" message you are sending out right now.

AKDejaVu

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2000, 04:43:00 PM »
The more I think about it.. the more a message window popping up to tell someone to stop swearing is a rediculous idea.

I'm sure all newbies will think its a cool thing to see the first time they learn about it.  I'm sure the response won't be "what the #$%^?"  Everyone loves to have moral highground shoved in their face.  It should attact tons of new people!

What was I thinking.

AKDejaVu

Offline wells

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2000, 04:50:00 PM »

Let the users add the words to a txt/cfg
                 file that they want censored.

Why should I have to do *any* work to filter this junk out when the guy who's doing all the swearing doesn't have to do anything???  Something's wrong with that scenerio.

Renfield

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2000, 05:09:00 PM »
Deja, what is your problem and what is your motive?

Why do you insist so strongly that the AH arena turn into a gutter, offend new players, and cause regulars to leave?

What is wrong with a message window popping up? It informs the player that they crossed the line.

Why not see how this works for a while and if the arena doesn't become a nicer place to fly? If this is somehow offensive to you, don't let the door hit you in the behind.

It's what I was thinking.

[This message has been edited by Renfield (edited 09-23-2000).]

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2000, 06:06:00 PM »

I'm sure all newbies will think its a cool thing to see the first time they learn about it.  I'm sure the response won't be "what the #$%^?"  Everyone loves to have moral highground shoved in their face.  It should attact tons of new people!
AKDejaVu

Moral high ground shoved in their face because saying obscenities is not allowed? Funny stuff there.

I'm sure the newbie (30-40 yrs of age) logging in and seeing some nerd on channel 1 typing "f*ck this, etc." thinks "Wow, I really dig these fellas"

I just reread your reply, still aint got a clue what it means...

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2000, 06:22:00 PM »
Once again hblair, with the client-side filter, defaulting to include the words currently filtered on the server, the newbie would not see any fowl language.

He also would not be exposed to the message the first time he said ass.

The moral high ground is to assume nobody wants to be exposed to that type of language so it should be punished.  Another view may be to default the game to filter that language then let each individual decide if they can handle it.

AKDejaVu

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2000, 06:38:00 PM »

Erm.. what part of "default" has you confused the most?

Oh.. wait.. lets go back to the "its for the kids" argument again.

That's a handy one to pull out.

AKDejaVu
I think we are both confused, what i typed wasn't mean to be perceived a slam, and maybe i am also confused. Let me see if i can shead some light on this. What you said ( from my interpretation) Is that you suggested a "default" list that you can click off and modify on your client end. Is this right?
And my responce about " little Joey" was... IF you say the client end can be modified, that "little joey" could have access to this modification, therefore ( my attempt at Pun) would be "little Joey" On his client end sifting threw the "list" of BAD words HTC sent in his FE, checking off all the words he doesn't want to hear,, as his mother looks on... I found it an oxymoron. But then again i AM twisted
NUTTZ

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2000, 07:08:00 PM »
Actually.. I wouldn't make the list accessable from a menu either.  It would simply be a text file that would have to be opened with a text editor.

Now.. if someone is foolish enough to believe that "little joey" is smart enough to go to HTC, download a game, install it then go and open the badlanguage.txt file with an editor and see bad words... well.. they  need to accept that "little joey" has seen much worse than that on the net.

AKDejaVu

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2000, 07:33:00 PM »

Actually.. I wouldn't make the list accessable from a menu either.  It would simply be a text file that would have to be opened with a text editor.

Now.. if someone is foolish enough to believe that "little joey" is smart enough to go to HTC, download a game, install it then go and open the badlanguage.txt file with an editor and see bad words... well.. they  need to accept that "little joey" has seen much worse than that on the net.

AKDejaVu
I'm not a lawyer ( and i don't play one on TV) But, i think sending a "bad word" list out to the public ( including minors), would have legal ramifications. Weather it was hidden or out in the open, with intent to distribute, could and probably would cause major problems. In the Commonwealth of PA anyone under the age of 18 is still a minor. I think HTC is exposed to MANY people under 18. You would be surprised what a "child" knows computer wise.
NUTTZ

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2000, 07:39:00 PM »
Nuttz, it would have no legal ramifications.  Its been done before.. many times.

AKDejaVu

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2000, 09:03:00 PM »
AK-

The fact is, you have the option to use RW to curse all you want. I am in complete agreement with those that state that if HTC decides they don't want this behavior anywhere on the service, it shouldn't be there. Further, it is silly to make me work to avoid hearing what I don't want to hear anyway. As for downloading a default text file with the banned words on it, well, we go back to HTC not wanting the words on the service in the first place.

If you were in my home, you would not be permitted to use foul language, whether or not my kids were present. I don't want to hear it. If I owned a theater or restaurant and you paid to watch a movie or eat, I would insist you not use profane language- I wouldn't tell the other customers to stuff cotton in their ears.

This line still has me scratching my head;

Its wonderful to be in yet another invironment where people are so keen on regulating other people's actions.

You can't be serious?

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2000, 11:21:00 PM »

Originally posted by Kieren:
AK-

If I owned a theater or restaurant and you paid to watch a movie or eat, I would insist you not use profane language- I wouldn't tell the other customers to stuff cotton in their ears.

Point well made. Nice Analogy.