Author Topic: Language filter is on the WRONG end!  (Read 625 times)

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Language filter is on the WRONG end!
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2000, 11:59:00 PM »

. If I owned a theater or restaurant and you paid to watch a movie or eat, I would insist you not use profane language- I wouldn't tell the other customers to stuff cotton in their ears.

The analogy carries no weight.  In a restaurant you do not have the ability to filter languange.  Nor do you in a theatre.

In AH you do.  Why you insist this one method is the best is beyond me.

Let people type whatever they want.  Nobody has to listen to it.  It can be set by default... and only changed by the action of the user.

I am not a big fan of cursing on public comms.  This is not about "I got kicked for cursing".  I think that if other alternatives are available, they should be used instead.

A big deal is being made of cursing via banning/discontinue of service.  The simple truth is, people want others to "pay" for cursing now.  A simpler solution is to filter it out.  Simply filter.

Why is it that everybody prefers the punitive as opposed to the passive?  It simply baffles me.

AKDejaVu

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2000, 04:03:00 AM »
Hblair, you ever notice you have to vaccum up all the Pom Pom sheds after visiting the BBS?

AH could use a cheerleader while Fatty is gone to Florida, but something a bit more Asian, tiny, and female please.

Thanks anyway.

Love,

Creamo

Offline jmccaul

• Zinc Member
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2000, 09:42:00 AM »
My local libary had this brilliant idea, instead of having to be quiet while inside they instead they had people who didn't want to be disturbed bring earphones.Voila!  

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2000, 09:43:00 AM »

The analogy carries no weight. In a restaurant you do not have the ability to filter languange. Nor do you in a theatre.

err, the analogy carries weight because HTC decided to stop the people from sending the foul language, rather than intercepting foul language that has already been sent. That doesn't make sense??? Seems pretty simple here.

Creamo, not cheerleading.   Just saying what I really think. I'm just past the point of trying hard to be the kewl dude rebel.  

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2000, 11:48:00 AM »

err, the analogy carries weight because HTC decided to stop the people from sending the foul language, rather than intercepting foul language that has already been sent.

AH.. OK.  I see you have the standard set of blinders on.  NOBODY should see the language, because well.. its naughty.  Well.. squad channel is OK... but nowhere else.  Anywhere else and its NAUGHTY.

Sent/not sent is not the issue.  Displayed/not displayed is the issue.

Right now people are trying to justify HTC's current fix as if it were the end-all be-all solution to the problem.  I disagree.  I think it could be done differently to allow for more flexibility.

More people seem concerned with imposing their views on others than actually solving the problem.

AKDejaVu

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2000, 01:40:00 PM »

Here's another small analogy that may or may not make it through to yer brain....  

Me, my father, and a brother of mine run a business, an auto collision repair shop, 14 employees, deal with the public daily. We have to ride the middle ground between the customer and the insurance company. Sometimes you gotta give a little here to make it right there. We've had looney customers get upset in the office and want to raise hell and curse at thier insurance company (this has only happened a couple times in the last 15 years) in front of other customers. You oughta see thier face when they are asked to leave. They couldn't believe the world didn't revolve around their *rights* (their percieved rights that is).

The moral of the story? Sometimes you gotta offend the morons to appease the bulk of your customers.

again...

Sometimes you gotta offend the morons to appease the bulk of your customers.

and again...

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2000, 02:12:00 PM »

looney customers get upset in the office and want to raise hell and curse at thier insurance company (this has only happened a couple times in the last 15 years) in front of other customers.

And.. if there were no other customers.. would you still have kicked them out?  What if you couldn't hear them cursing.. nor the other customers.. would you still have kicked them out?

Speaking and typing are not the same thing.  One can be sifted through prior to being seen and removed.  Filters don't work like that in real life.  Once again, your analogy carries no weight.

Its obvious you enjoy your position on this point to the level of calling anyone that differs a moron.  Thankyou for proving my point.

AKDejaVu

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2000, 03:40:00 PM »
And.. if there were no other customers.. would you still have kicked them out? What if you couldn't hear them cursing.. nor the other customers.. would you still have kicked them out?
[/b]

And what if he did it in sign language? and What if he did it in a foreign language? and What if he was really halfway out in the shop when he did it? and... and... and...

How far are you going to go with this? Good grief.

Speaking and typing are not the same thing. One can be sifted through prior to being seen and removed. Filters don't work like that in real life. Once again, your analogy carries no weight.

Through one ear and out the other.

Its obvious you enjoy your position on this point to the level of calling anyone that differs a moron. Thankyou for proving my point.

Actually, you prove that you can't read, the "morons" I refered to are the dips that think they have a *right* to make other people hear their BS. If you consider yourself in that group, then be offended, whatever.

This has turned into a petty arguement over a language filter.

I think HT will make whatever changes need to be made to it. He's already said he will change it so squads will be freed up. Thats enough for me.

You think the whole thing oughta be rewritten, (as if HTC doesn't have other things to deal with) so as not to *offend* the morons who have no control over whether or not they type cuss words, make it possible so that if we feel we *want to hear it*, we can configure it so that we can.

I'm going into the arena and fly a while, as I tell my wife, You can have the last word,  I've made my point, whether your brain is capable of picking it up or not, is another discussion entirely.

Have a good day.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2000, 03:45:00 PM »
WTG Hblair!

[This message has been edited by Creamo (edited 09-24-2000).]

Renfield

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2000, 04:20:00 PM »
Earth to DejaVu - We've heard it from you over and over and over. You certainly live up to your name - you have that going for you.

Give it a rest. You aren't getting anywhere. Actually you are looking more and more foolish with each argument your try to present. It is HTC's sim and they can do what they want. The majority appear to approve - strongly. Don't like it? LEAVE. Otherwise play.

You are just looking more and more RAM-like (is that an adjective?) in your behavior.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2000, 04:35:00 PM »
Renfield.. it must be refreshing to be so right.

And.. how can someone be so right and look like such an ass?  Thanks for showing everyone.

AKDejaVu

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2000, 04:51:00 PM »
Good one man hehe

***edit***
(Talking about creamos cheerleader)

[This message has been edited by hblair (edited 09-24-2000).]

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2000, 04:55:00 PM »

Renfield

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2000, 05:17:00 PM »

Originally posted by AKDejaVu:
Renfield.. it must be refreshing to be so right.... AKDejaVu

It is refreshing, Deja - try it some time.

As to looking like an ass. Well, we are all entitled to our own opinions.

Funny, but I just don't see many people stepping up to the plate with you and bleating: "Me! Yes! I want to cuss! I want to swear! I want to insult!"

Again - Earth to Deja. You are on the wrong side of the argument man. And it isn't even an argument - the decision has already been made.

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2000, 05:28:00 PM »

Originally posted by Renfield:
Again - Earth to Deja. You are on the wrong side of the argument man.