Author Topic: Language filter is on the WRONG end!  (Read 626 times)

Nuku

Language filter is on the WRONG end!
« on: September 23, 2000, 10:33:00 AM »
With all this hoopla about the language filter and getting radio censored, it just occurred to me... the filter is on the WRONG end!  It's too far upstream!

The filter should be placed on the FE of the listeners, not the talkers.  The talkers can swear all they want, and the listners can just activate the filter and not hear the language.

Further, if it's part of the FE, the different levels of language morality can be adjusted by editing a list of key words kept by the USERS, not the host.

If you don't want to listen to profanity, you don't have to; and those who want so spout can (they actually don't care if anyone hears them, but DO care about being actively muted)

Renfield

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2000, 12:14:00 PM »
I disagree Nuku. I think HTC has wisely chosen to keep that kind of talk completely out of the arena.

This drops the load on the client end because it isn't having to constantly filter through the radio transmissions and it also discourages the behavior in the first place.

Why is it so many feel the need to cuss? If you think it makes you smarter or better, well, you are just wrong. Why not just keep it clean and leave it at that?

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2000, 12:18:00 PM »
Yep, what Renfield said.

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2000, 12:23:00 PM »
I'd prefer a client side, user defined filter to a bland, generic, get everything server side one.  Let the users add the words to a txt/cfg file that they want censored.

Keep in mind that we have an international community.  Some words that are acceptable/aren't profanity to some people are totally unacceptable to others.  This is one reason, IMNSHO, why a client side, user defined list would be the better way to go.
Besides the server already has enough to keep up with.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2000, 12:25:00 PM »

This drops the load on the client end because it isn't having to constantly filter through the radio.

Erm.. and it is better to have the server sift through hundreds?  I've not seen a client side language filter that impacted refreshrate or client performance in any way.  They are quite invisible.  Sorry, but this argument is invalid.

As of course, is most of this whole topic.  Its wonderful to be in yet another invironment where people are so keen on regulating other people's actions.

I wonder what takes away from enjoying the game more?

AKDejaVu

Renfield

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2000, 12:42:00 PM »
Deja, I think the key is to just discourage the behavior completely. Why is it so important to be able to cuss?

Kids will purge a client-side filter and then parents may go ballistic to see what kind of playworld their darling is participating in. AH should never be allowed to turn into a venomous chatroom.

There is some appeal to a client-side filter, but I think HTC has it in the right place and is handling it the correct way.

Had so many not ignored it when others asked them to tone it down, this never would have happened.

And I agree that this loads the server. However, the server only has to filter once instead of hundreds of clients filtering individually. No matter what you say, it would be an extra burden on the client and decrease performance. Sure it would be slight, but as the list gets longer, then the impact becomes greater.

Hopefully people will get the message on this online behavior thing. HT was in the arena this morning asking opinions on muting a player once enough of his fellow countrymen squelch him. This is also unfortunately another example of how the community as a whole has to pay for the actions of a few who abuse.

I'd much rather have HTC working on 1.05 than dealing with the issues that keep getting pressed by a few. If everyone would mind their manners a little more, maybe this won't be implemented. As it stands now, I'm 100% in favor of the vote mute for the same reasons I'm in favor of the filter.

This stuff is much needed if AH is to grow and survive. Actually, I'd like to see a few accounts revoked as that would also clean up the arena. The mute/filter at least lets the jerks see they aren't going to win and might as well learn to get along.

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2000, 12:48:00 PM »
The language in the arenas have gotten worse over the last few months.

WTG HT........ About time

As there is no need for profanity in the arenas this is whats needed to control the 6 years old mentallity...

Dog out...........

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2000, 01:23:00 PM »

Deja, I think the key is to just discourage the behavior completely. Why is it so important to be able to cuss?

You aren't discouraging behavior.  You are discouraging curse words.  If you don't like to see them, disable them... be able to select what words you want disabled.  Just don't force your views on other people.

If you have an agenda to actually discourage behavior.. then we have a problem.

If HTC created a client side .txt file with a list of words you don't want to see in your text buffer, each pilot could tailor their filter to their own preferences.  Plain and simple. HTC could place a default list with x words in it.. that can be removed by the user if he so desires.

Do you have a serious problem with that?  If you do, I have to question your motives.

AKDejaVu

Offline fats

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2000, 02:22:00 PM »
--- Renfield: ---
This drops the load on the client end because it isn't having to constantly filter through the radio transmissions and it also discourages the behavior in the first place.
--- end ---

Given the coder is not totally drunk, the load that filtering text imposes on todays computers ( given reasonably sized dictionary ) is rather small.

And further more - since it is at the host - I bet non-English people can still be as offensive as they want and HTC is doing nothing about it. It's going to take a while before we see a Finnish profanity filter at the server. OTOH on the client level if someone wanted he could have implemented one for him self within minutes and make it available for everyone else.

Not that I support filtering profanity anyhow, but a better design would have been a client-side-filter.

// fats

Nuku

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2000, 02:26:00 PM »

Originally posted by Renfield:
I disagree Nuku. I think HTC has wisely chosen to keep that kind of talk completely out of the arena.

The load is less on the client than on the server.  The Client only has to take care of whatever private channels you have tuned, the general channel, and the country channel, and only when it has to output some text.

The server has to take care of ALL channels from hundreds of users, and that occurs *constantly*.

Also, HTC dropped this thing on us without making clear what is "clean" language.  Can I say "We're screwed?".  How about "Get this zeke off my butt/ass/heiny!".  Do you know?  

The way it's implemented now, for some language constructs, it's like suddenly getting slapped for scratching your face. For me, "butt" and "ass" are synonymous, and not the least bit offensive.  "squeak" is offensive to me, but is allowed by the filter.

I'll abide by laws, but HTC needs to publish them, because my idea of profanity is obviously different from theirs.

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2000, 02:32:00 PM »

Originally posted by AKDejaVu:
You aren't discouraging behavior.  You are discouraging curse words.  If you don't like to see them, disable them... be able to select what words you want disabled.  Just don't force your views on other people.

If you have an agenda to actually discourage behavior.. then we have a problem.

If HTC created a client side .txt file with a list of words you don't want to see in your text buffer, each pilot could tailor their filter to their own preferences.  Plain and simple. HTC could place a default list with x words in it.. that can be removed by the user if he so desires.

Do you have a serious problem with that?  If you do, I have to question your motives.

AKDejaVu
Yea, I can see little Joey typing Obsenities into the chat filter as his mother's looking over his shoulder asking what he's doing.
NUTTZ

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2000, 02:54:00 PM »

Yea, I can see little Joey typing Obsenities into the chat filter as his mother's looking over his shoulder asking what he's doing.

Erm.. what part of "default" has you confused the most?

Oh.. wait.. lets go back to the "its for the kids" argument again.

That's a handy one to pull out.

AKDejaVu

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2000, 03:22:00 PM »

Originally posted by AKDejaVu:

AKDejaVu

I have a problem with that.

And here are my motives...

Do you think a new guy in the arena is gonna be able to configure his *bad language* filter? I have a hard enough time getting them flying. I could see me in the TA.

"Yeah, and ya need to edit this file called config.cussout, Put all your wordy dords in there like f*ck, sh*t, futhermucker", all the while the new guy is thinking "What the... ???"

We have enough settings to keep us busy as is.

I think HT is just trying to keep the BS out of the Arena. Plain and simple. Whats the big deal???

If somebody thinks their toes are getting stepped on, then ##### 'em. (did I say that? ) Learn to act civil on the open channel. Thats all there is to it.

If you wanna be *Mister Big Cusser* then get on RW. Heck, join The ASSASSINS channel, and show us what ya got, chances are we'll teach you some new words.  

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2000, 03:26:00 PM »
My reply was directed towards the open and private channel. Squad channel might need to be re-thought.

Offline milnko

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cameltoe.org
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2000, 03:53:00 PM »

Originally posted by hblair:
If you wanna be *Mister Big Cusser* then get on RW. Heck, join The ASSASSINS channel, and show us what ya got, chances are we'll teach you some new words.    

Just join the ASSASSINS is what I say!!!

But HB is right, I was in the Navy for 8 years, and thought I heard it all til he taught me some very creative verbal skills.

I had a funny moment once when were we inbound to an enema base for a strike and I typed in on the SQUAD channel: "The bandits must be close, I'm startin' to get a WOODY." Well imagine my embarrassment, when Leon our Ukranian Squadmate asked "What's a woody?"

Needless to say english is his second language, and it took a few minutes for me to form an adequate response to what a "WOODY" in fact is    

------------------
CyberPilots have bigger Joysticks
BANDITS ON MY SIX!!!!

<< MILENKO >>
ACES HIGH ASSASSINS Website
WB/AH ASSASSINS Website

[This message has been edited by milnko (edited 09-23-2000).]