Author Topic: Jet Sim  (Read 2224 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Jet Sim
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2003, 10:59:41 PM »
Originally posted by gofaster
yeah, Air Warrior was going to become "Jet Warrior: Vietnam" but it never got beyond a few screenshots, as far as I know.  However, they did have the F-86 and MiG-15 and I spent some time in there.  I think they would've had more folks in the Korea War arena if they'd had more than 2 jets in it.  In a dogfight, the MiG 15 pretty much ruled.

When the feedback on "Jet Warrior" proved to be .... to put it mildly .... less than enthusiastic .... the Kesmoids put it on the back burner and started focusing thier efforts on AW:IV (and rightly so ... even though it ended up squashed by mismanagement after EA bought the store). Everytime the subject resurfaces it becomes apparent that the majority of players interested in MMOG air to air combat sims prefer piston gunfights over supersonic button pushing.

It's good to see some support for a Spanish Civil War setting on the upswing, however. :D

p.s. Krush and I used to eat Migs like popcorn in AW. ;)

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Jet Sim
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2003, 05:14:44 AM »
Arlo

A Jet sim sounds great but stop, take a deep breath and think about it....

Hundreds of Facestudmuffins firing off sidewinders at max range would be downright boreing.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Jet Sim
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2003, 07:38:13 AM »
Tumor, consider whats been said in this thread and try to look at it from a fresh perspective.

If the missile modeling is historic, both in effectiveness and the necessity to use the weapons within their correct envelope, then you have little to worry about.

Facestudmuffins firing Sidewinders? Umm.... early sidewinders were rear aspect only, and were seriously G limited (my memory is saying 2G max firing conditions in the early models, but maybe that was the Sparrow) in the firing envelope.  They were designed to shoot down non-manuevering bombers.

Early missiles were very ineffective and were difficult to use correctly.  

A good early jet sim, would not be point and shoot the way you are imagining.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Jet Sim
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2003, 08:41:03 AM »
Originally posted by artik

Mirage III, Vouture, Super Myster B2, A-4 Skyhawk, F-104, F-4E Phantom, MiG-17, MiG-21, Su-7, and some others from that period of 60s, 70s,

it's SNCASO SO.4050 Vautour not "Vouture" and Dassault Super Mystère B2 (I guess you want the "Super Super Mystère"  Sa'ar too ;) as well as kfir and Nesher )

Add to the list :
Fouga CM.170 R Magister,II B,Dassault Mystère II C,Dassault Mystère IV A,Dassault Mystère IV N,Dassault Mirage III C (and CJ Shahak ;)) Dassault Mirage III B

Don't forget the Nord 2501 NORATLAS !

do you remeber the name of the IAF gave to the Fouga ?

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
Jet Sim
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2003, 08:59:16 AM »
I'd much rather see HTC produce a WWI online sim like DOA. Only better, of course. :)

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
Jet Sim
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2003, 01:06:51 PM »
Originally posted by straffo
it's SNCASO SO.4050 Vautour not "Vouture" and Dassault Super Mystère B2 (I guess you want the "Super Super Mystère"  Sa'ar too ;) as well as kfir and Nesher )

Add to the list :
Fouga CM.170 R Magister,II B,Dassault Mystère II C,Dassault Mystère IV A,Dassault Mystère IV N,Dassault Mirage III C (and CJ Shahak ;)) Dassault Mirage III B

Don't forget the Nord 2501 NORATLAS !

do you remeber the name of the IAF gave to the Fouga ?

Yes I get some mistakes in my spelling ;)

Yes Dassault Super Mystere B2 - or Sambad - as it was called would be very nice,

Good knowlage of hebrew names - not a lot know them.

IAF Mirage III is Shahak
IAF Mirage V is Nesher (produced by IAI without licence)
IAF Super Mystere B2 with another engine - J52  (of A-4 Skayhawk) is Sa'ar.
IAF Kfir - it is complatly rebuild Mirage with J-79 engine, IAI weapon systems, better ord load - and some changes in aerodinamics. It saw actions in 1982 Bekka Valley War - as strike plane and had 1 or 2 kills.

Fuga - was called Tzukit - in hebrew - but this name for IAI producted Fugas only. By the way the saw action in Six Day War - as strike planes :)
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Jet Sim
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2003, 03:24:23 PM »
Well , IAF is the other airforce I've allways admired (the fact IAF used a lot of French plane helped too)

Concerning the names .... having some jew genes in my genome help perhaps ,I dunno :)

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Jet Sim
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2003, 06:35:47 PM »
Originally posted by Vermillion
Tumor, consider whats been said in this thread and try to look at it from a fresh perspective.

If the missile modeling is historic, both in effectiveness and the necessity to use the weapons within their correct envelope, then you have little to worry about.

Facestudmuffins firing Sidewinders? Umm.... early sidewinders were rear aspect only, and were seriously G limited (my memory is saying 2G max firing conditions in the early models, but maybe that was the Sparrow) in the firing envelope.  They were designed to shoot down non-manuevering bombers.

Early missiles were very ineffective and were difficult to use correctly.  

A good early jet sim, would not be point and shoot the way you are imagining.

AIM-7E-2, but convince me it wouldn't happen anyway.  Your right though, it probably wouldn't be the way I'm imagining.  But,  think about the business end.  Given what we see now, seem's to me the sim eventually have to be dumbed down to point-n-click or your investment would be pointless.

AIM-7E-2, Convince me it wouldn't happen anyway.  Your right though, it probably wouldn't be the way I'm imagining.  But,  think about the business end.  Given what we see now, seem's to me the sim would have to be dumbed down to the point-n-click skill level to be worth anyone putting money, time and effort behind it.  

Besides... Arlo said F-14/18, c'mon.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann