Author Topic: Jet Sim  (Read 2223 times)

Offline F4i

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.ghost-squadron.org/main/frame.html
Jet Sim
« on: October 26, 2003, 02:44:37 AM »
I'm gonna get ripped for this, but I want to put this out there, anyway.

I remember (many years ago) when I first posted on the Air Warrior BB how I would love to see a Vietnam-era air combat sim; the people on the BB ranted both for and against the idea.  :rolleyes:  Man, what a mess that started.

Now, though, I find myself wanting the chance to jump into a virtual F-14 Tomcat or F/A-18 Hornet with a squaddie in the back seat as my RIO.  And, I honestly think that Hitech Creations is the right company to make this kind of thing happen ONLINE.

I don't know which era (or, military conflict) would be the best fit, but I would LOVE to see HTC give it a shot after AH2 is in full swing.

Please, hitech.  :aok

TBolt

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Jet Sim
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2003, 04:04:45 AM »
Before you catch hell I would like to say that Ive thought the same myself at times. I dont know what era would provide the most fun but I would guess the farther into the heat seeking age you got the less fun it would be. Maybe, maybe not . A HTC modelled F-86 and Mig-15 would be a blast Im sure.

Offline jodgi

• Nickel Member
      • http://forum.mercair.net
Jet Sim
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2003, 04:45:40 AM »
There was a company that started this, even got into beta. I remember seeing screenshots when combatsim.com was still free. Heard nothing of it after that, like with FighterDuel III (or II?) Many good ideas die in the simming world.

I don't see (or wish) that any online WWII sims will rival AH in the forseeable future, but maybe Targetware with their open approach will make it possible for a Vietnam era online sim. I have a feeling that targeting systems and missiles is hard to model in large scale in an online sim.

But as I've said before, what do I know?!

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
Jet Sim
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2003, 06:23:01 AM »
What I know that WarBirds are planning to enter Jet are with Korean war

They allready have F-86 - need MiG - 15

and HTC!!!!!  If WB do it I return to WB :D and I think a lot of players will do the same.

As for me the best would like following:

60-70s
Mirage III, Vouture, Super Myster B2, A-4 Skyhawk, F-104, F-4E Phantom, MiG-17, MiG-21, Su-7, and some others from that period of 60s, 70s,

andfor 50s:

Myster, Meteor, MiG-15, Vampire, F-86 and some more.
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline Rutilant

• Silver Member
Jet Sim
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2003, 07:58:52 AM »
Originally posted by artik

and HTC!!!!!  If WB do it I return to WB :D and I think a lot of players will do the same.

Yes, let's all threaten HTC  with going to WB if they do something HTC doesn't. :rolleyes:

I'm confident you'll be the only one that goes over there.

Offline Dawvgrid

• Nickel Member
Jet Sim
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2003, 10:22:31 AM »
What I know that WarBirds are planning to enter Jet are with Korean war

They allready have F-86 - need MiG - 15

As for me the best would like following:

60-70s
Mirage III, Vouture, Super Myster B2, A-4 Skyhawk, F-104, F-4E Phantom, MiG-17, MiG-21, Su-7, and some others from that period of 60s, 70s,

andfor 50s:

Myster, Meteor, MiG-15, Vampire, F-86 and some more.
What are you doing here then??.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Jet Sim
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2003, 10:34:32 AM »
Giving suggestions, oh Lord of the BBS

Offline Rutilant

• Silver Member
Jet Sim
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2003, 10:43:37 AM »
Originally posted by LePaul
Giving suggestions, oh Lord of the BBS

Read: Whining.

Whaaaa! HTC!, do this! Whaaa! I'll quit if you don't! Whaaaaa!

That's how i read it

Offline GODO

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s/fw190.htm
Jet Sim
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2003, 01:13:39 PM »
The problem with vietnam war jets would be modeling the avionics and all the keys needed to control these devices.

Offline F4i

• Nickel Member
Jet Sim
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2003, 01:15:13 PM »
Originally posted by Slash27
...but I would guess the farther into the heat seeking age you got the less fun it would be. Maybe, maybe not .

I agree unless, of course, the game has enough counter-measures built-in so that we can defeat the modern missiles.

---

As for leaving HTC... :rolleyes: :lol  

As long as Aces High (and, hopefully a JET SIM in the future!!!) stay competitive in both technology and price, I'm considering this home.  Besides, anytime you call the company up to change your c.p.i.d. and the V.P. gets on the phone to help you out, you know you're working with good people.  :aok

---

Air Warrior had an online Korea arena (Sabre vs. Mig).  It was fun, but THAT'S NOT WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR.  Korea has already been done.

I'm dreaming of Tomcats, Fighting Falcons, Hornets, Warthogs...all online.  :D

TBolt

Offline zmeg

• Silver Member
Jet Sim
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2003, 02:03:24 PM »
The problem with Tomcats ect.. is that fire & forget just isn't alot of fun, dogfighting is nearly impossible when you never see your nme for more than 1/4 sec.
  As for Viet Nam, I'v often considered making a h2h map but desided not to because it's still a big sore spot for soo many people.

Offline F4i

• Nickel Member
Jet Sim
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2003, 02:29:22 PM »
Originally posted by zmeg
As for Viet Nam, I'v often considered making a h2h map but desided not to because it's still a big sore spot for soo many people.

I hear what you're saying about fire 'n forget not being any fun.  It's obviously going to be something that the game maker will HAVE TO make fun...somehow.  ;)

Several years ago, when I first posted the idea of a Vietnam-era sim on the Air Warrior boards, I saw how sore the subject of Vietnam is to some people (not most people, though).  In the end, however, even the haters started to come around when they saw Kesmai's screenshots of the Vietnam sim that they had started.  (I gave my old computer to my brother; so, I don't have access to those screenshots, unfortunately.)

Kesmai apparently determined that Vietnam had an excellent line-up of fun aircraft with just enough dumb technology to keep the gamer involved in the action.  So, maybe it is a Vietnam sim that I'm asking for, once again.  

I dunno.

TBolt

P.S.:  Please...no disrespect is meant towards our veterans of Vietnam.  I'm certainly NOT trying to open old wounds; so, don't attack me for it.

Offline spitfire708

• Copper Member
Jet Sim
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2003, 02:35:33 PM »
How about a F-100 Super Sabre??? or a F-105??? and Il-28 and Yak-27, 28, and 29.

Offline F4i

• Nickel Member
    Jet Sim
    « Reply #13 on: October 26, 2003, 02:49:31 PM »
    Originally posted by jodgi
    but maybe Targetware with their open approach will make it possible for a Vietnam era online sim.

Targetware?

TBolt

Offline Rutilant

• Silver Member
    Jet Sim
    « Reply #14 on: October 26, 2003, 04:14:24 PM »