Author Topic: if im in a p51 in real life can i hear a 109 200 yards behind me?  (Read 1721 times)

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
if im in a p51 in real life can i hear a 109 200 yards behind me?
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2003, 05:08:16 PM »
Naturally, if you are in a P-51, you should be able to hear the 109... because P-51 won the WW2.

On the other hand in 109 you should not be able to hear the P-51.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Grendel

• Silver Member
      • http://www.compart.fi/icebreakers
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2003, 06:22:30 AM »
Originally posted by Grimm
I guess the next best thing would be to ask a few Warbird pilots, guys that actually fly them.  

Been there, done that.

And no, you don't hear any noise from the other planes, said the WW2 pilots I've asked that from.

Kyösti Karhila, highest scoring living Finnish ace, though mentioned that when he saw an La-5 20 meters behind him and pushed his plane into vicious evasive, he thought he heard the cannon shells whistling just centimeters away from his canopy.

Could have been more imagination and shock though :)

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2003, 04:56:45 PM »
Naturally, if you are in a P-51, you should be able to hear the 109... because P-51 won the WW2.

ROFLMAD!

Im gonna be on the viking line the 7th of november, if you want a free drink/drinks be sure to be there lol!
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline mold

• Copper Member
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2003, 01:52:17 PM »
My only point is that no Sim/Game is perfect and there will always be comprimises between gameplay and realism.

In what way do artificial sounds add to the gameplay?  They add to the cuteness factor certainly, but not gameplay.  I think sounds from other planes should be removed.  I've flown in small planes before, and I could not hear the guy behind us over our engine noise--no way in hell.

Originally posted by BlauK

On the other hand in 109 you should not be able to hear the P-51.

LOL. :)

Offline loser

• Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2003, 04:41:52 PM »
Disagree.    As per my post above.   (based on personal experience)
It really depends on how loud that car next to you is.   Same for any noise.  

Come on guys, you dont go completely deaf when your around a loud noise.    Some of these answers are too absolute.    You would think you couldnt hear a large explosion next to you if the engine was running.  

If the sound is there, it can be heard,  Just depends on how close and how loud it is before a human ear is going to notice it.   How else do explain being able to use a head set in a real A/C  ;)

Back to the original question,  I dont know,  The ony way to prove the answer is to have you guys buy me a P51 and a 109 and help me test it out   ;)

I think Grimm has a point here. (Though he may not know it.) It is like the people who live next to airports, busy highways, or Niagra falls (just an example.)  After being exposed to a certain and near constant sound, you start to block it out.  

Most people here should know that the sensation known as "hearing" is not just a physical thing.  The movements of the bones in your ear must be processed cognitively before they are recognized as a particular "sound."  This being said, sound waves and distances cannot be the sole judge of whether a person could actually hear a sound or not.

If you were a regular pilot of any given WW2 plane and heard the droning of your engine (or even "screaming sound,") You could bet you would notice a different sounding engine.  Just as Grimm can tell the difference between the sound and pitch of his engine during a pass and that of his opponent.

One more example:  If i shot off 10 firearms off different calibre at say....1/2 mile or almost any distance guys like lazs could tell me that they were the same firearm being discharged or a different one. He might not be able to tell me exactly what they were (though i fear he could,) but that they were at least different.

Once you becoming accustomed to anything sensory, anything new or different than what you are used to would stand out.

my 2 cents.

Btw lazs this wasnt a dig at you for being fond of firearms, just using you as an example of someone being familiar with a certain experience being able to notice things a little better than others.