Author Topic: Why are the IL2's guns so effective against GV?  (Read 646 times)

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
Why are the IL2's guns so effective against GV?
« on: October 27, 2003, 03:41:59 PM »
All,

So for the first time last night, after reading old posts about the best way to kill ground vehicles from the air, I took up an IL2. Of course, the plane's rockets and bombs worked as expected, and the armor plating against those little machine guns some GV's have worked as expected.

I wasn't prepared for the IL2's cannons to be to bloody effective against Osti's and even Panzers from the top, back, and even sides! Just a few pings on the top of panzer would apparently damage it enough that the drivers would get out quickly and award me the kill.

So I'm looking at the guns package, and it isn't clear to me why a pair of 23mm cannons would do so much more damage versus, say, the 20mm AND 30mm package of the 110G2, or the 4 20mm cannon of the Nik or the 190 or the Hurri II.

So, just because I'm interested in what must be a good story, what's so special with these IL2's guns?

Thanks,
Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline Rutilant

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2003, 03:45:51 PM »
the 23mm cannons are AP/HE in AH, with a rather high muzzle velocity, as opposed to the 110's 20mm and 30mm, which are HE, and have a low muzzle velocity..

I think that's it..

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2003, 06:11:26 PM »
Yes the Il2 23mm are the best guns in the game, make hispanos look like pellet rifles. :)  

BTW the postwar development of the La7 the La9 mounted 4 of these babies in the nose. :eek:

Offline MaddDog

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2003, 07:53:45 PM »
4 of em, g'lord thatd be somethin to fly in the MA!:D

Offline Kommandant

• Copper Member
      • http://www.lawsquadron.cjb.net
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2003, 08:01:16 PM »
ok, i have only used the il2 once for tank bustin, so I diddn't know it was THAt good, I will have to use it more.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2003, 08:07:57 PM »
IL-2s in AH are tank busters from hell.

Of course, that's if those tanks don't larry along any AA protection. If Osties or M16s are mixed with the tanks in near vicinity of Panzers or Tigers.. then it becomes a little bit diabolical for the IL-2 pilot.

But with no AA vehicles around, you can render about 4~6 Panzers immobile with the guns alone - gradually earning you a kill if they let out a sigh and despawn.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2003, 08:25:53 PM »
you can kill them with a very short (ie ~15 possible kills per load) and precise burst, but i'll let you find out exactly how for yourself.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline MetaTron

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2003, 10:45:58 PM »
I was once attacked by a Jug while in the thing. I scissored and put him out front. One brief trigger squeeze and that Jug was a smoking wreck. I love it when La7s HO while Im in the thing too. The sortie mentioned above 3 La7s tried it and they all died without hitting me once. TW9 is brutal in the thing!

Offline Rutilant

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2003, 10:50:36 PM »
Originally posted by MetaTron
TW9 is brutal in the thing!

And i killed him IL2 vs IL2 once, co alt, co E.. 1 on 1.. :D

I'm pretty positive it was just a fluke tho.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2003, 11:43:55 PM »
Best use of Il2 in a combined arms battle with friendly tanks is to fly behind the enemy and attack their panzers from the rear quarter, disabling them as a threat to your own tanks. Then just leave the AAA vehicles for your tanks to kill as there no longer much of a threat to panzers.

Offline Zanth

• Silver Member
      • http://www.a-26legacy.org/photo.htm
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2003, 11:01:15 AM »
I used to think IL2 was best in this role but I have since changed my mind.  The IL2 is surely a fun plane and all, but I have since come to prefer the nose mounted 50 caliber planes.   50 caliber weapons are very effective on vehicles and at surprisingly long ranges.

Offline sqwurl

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2003, 11:10:53 AM »
Zanth and I took IL2s up on the pizza map a few months ago. 3 hour flight. We even landed and took off a cv about 3 times lol. Sturmikov is hella easier to land and take off than any sea plane in the game.

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2003, 12:15:13 PM »
The Il-2 is just too damn slow.  Great for tank busting though.

MiniD

Offline Rutilant

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2003, 01:37:35 PM »
The IL2 can surprise many a foe with it's tight turn radius and powerful guns, and ability to take a hit (which is a tad undermodeled, IMO)...

I love it, great GV killer, even without ord, and not a bad emergency fighter..

But then again, as a former Hurri pilot, this may be the only reason i can bear the slow speed.. ;)

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2003, 01:37:56 PM »
23mm VYa (Volkov-Yartzev) wasn't a wonder weapon; it penetrated 30mm at 100m and 25mm at 400m (angle not known).
Later cannons used in Il-2, 37mm NS-37 (Nudelman-Suranov), penetrated 48mm at 500m distance at 90degr. angle.

PzIV Ausf.H had 50-80mm armor at front but only 30mm at sides and turret rear and 20mm armor at rear superstructure and hull.
So at good angle 23mm should be able to penetrate sides and rear of the PzIV.
"Ostwind" had its turret made of 25mm armour plates btw.