Author Topic: Will it ever get better???  (Read 3352 times)

Online Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: Any tips on the B&Z with the Pony
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2004, 12:30:39 PM »
Originally posted by 68DevilM
try using your flaps to help you turn at low speeds

For clarity one should never get anywhere close to slow in a BnZ attack. I'll clarify what BnZ means.

In BnZ you'll start out with a large altitude advantage over your chosen target. You'll dive on him at high speed--closer to verticle is better (that's the BOOM part). If he's asleep you'll blow him to smithereens on the first pass. If he's not he'll make a break turn into you to ruin your gunnery solution. At this point you use your superior speed to climb near vertically back up on your perch (that's the ZOOM part).

Use as much of your speed as you can in your zooms maximizing your alt advantage(this is why you shouldn't use flaps in a BnZ attack--wastes speed). Never pass below your target. Keep your eyes open for co-alt or higher unidentified dots. Some good rules of thumb in BnZ

Lather, rinse, repeat. Keep up your passes until you've either killed the guy, run out of gas or ammo, used up your altitude advantage or other bad guys are invading your party at or above your alt in which case you should use a climbing extension in a friendly direction and rebuild your advantage. Don't wait too long tho. Common mistake is making that "one more pass".

The whole idea here is to use speed to your advantage. If you've gotten to where you're close to your target's speed range, you're no longer in a BnZ situation. In this case its time to change tactics and you better hope the other guy isn't faster and turns better than you! : )

Drano
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline gologt

• Zinc Member
Will it ever get better???
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2004, 01:55:34 PM »
In a plane such as the P-51 you should never get yourself into the position of being low and slow and using a lot of flap. If you have then you've done something critically wrong in your E management

You nailed me to a T with that description. My problem when I boom I continue to chase making that high G turn to try and stay with him (albeit not against a spit/zero) loose all my E make that big turn with all the speed I HAD while they turn quicker and end up on my six. I guess I am being too aggressive. I have to be a little more patient and wait for the shot. I even tried picking someone who was already in a battle for better odds but I tend to boom right by them.

Thanks for your help Drano, I will try those techniques tonite!

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member
I guess I am being too aggressive.
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2004, 02:16:41 PM »
yes patience is important! if the shots not there set yourself up for the next one asap

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2004, 02:46:09 PM »
LtPillur

The key that some have already mentioned is to join a squad. You see once you start making some friends and having fun you don’t care if you stink. ;) I don’t. You have had a ton of advice already on training, tips and such, so I will not bother with that. Besides most of the guys that post in here can have me for lunch. Truly the key to longevity in this sim is to join a group of guys you have fun being with.
------------------------
CO, CM daddog
332nd Flying Mongrels
Roster
Noses in the wind since 1997.

To be ignorant of one’s own ignorance is the malady of the ignorant. – Alcott
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline LtPillur

• Copper Member
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2004, 03:41:10 PM »
Originally posted by daddog
LtPillur

The key that some have already mentioned is to join a squad. You see once you start making some friends and having fun you don’t care if you stink. ;) I don’t. You have had a ton of advice already on training, tips and such, so I will not bother with that. Besides most of the guys that post in here can have me for lunch. Truly the key to longevity in this sim is to join a group of guys you have fun being with.
------------------------
CO, CM daddog
[

Ya know I have the most fun when I join missions. It does make me feel like I'm part of something bigger and more fun than the "take off, get shot, start over" syndrome. I've also noticed some improvement since posting and it is indeed time to join a squad. Thanks for everyones feedback and ideas!
Peace
Pillur

Offline Boozer2

• Copper Member
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2004, 09:47:29 PM »
The good news is, you'll get better. Then bad news is, all those better than you now will also get better :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 09:50:31 PM by Boozer2 »

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2004, 10:11:23 AM »
Not me!

Just bought a set of rudder pedals last night and feels like I'm back at  square 1.  :)
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2004, 10:09:19 PM »
Moving from a joystick and keyboard setup to a full hotas rig, I think the rudder adjustment was the toughtest. I feel your pain but it'll fade soon.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54