Author Topic: Best TV  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Best TV
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2004, 04:30:42 PM »
Habu,

It depends on what you prefer.  I will do my best as to not confuse you.  I will assign brands with types.  HT is a hobby of mine

CRT-  Loewe Aconda (the best picture of ANY tv, no equal), Panasonic (slightly better than Sony in terms of picture quality), Sony (alot of exaggerated "red hues").  

Rear-Proj - Pioneer Elite (the best again), Mitsubishi, Pioneer (BB Pioneer).  Everything else.  Keep in mind that outside of the Pioneer Elite, that steeper the viewing angle, the picture will get blacker.  It does happen with the Elite's, just not as quickly as the others.

Plasma - Pioneer Elite (alot of mullah, but a badazz picture), Zenith, LG.  DO NOT FALL PRAY To Gateway and Dell.  Yes they are affordable but they ARE NOT HDTV's, they are EDTV's.  

DLP - Samsung (the best).  I would trust no other brand with this technology YET.  While a great picture can be had with them, they have their issue right now.  A "rainbow" can be seen on some screens, however, Samsung is really up on how to improve this technology, and they will.  

What I think you should look at is the Pioneer Elite Rear Proj.  You can literally put your weight on the screen and it not will NOT BUDGE.  The 50" should be around $4000-$5000. But you will not find a better picture.  The Mitsubishi's are a close second, but the build quality belongs to Pioneer Elite.

I have a 27" JVC that is about 5 years old.  I bought the Sound&Vision Tune up disc, and the picture is amazing for just a standard, analog TV.  I am looking at the Loewe Aconda 30" ($3000) or 38" ($4500.  I have yet, to find a more crystal clear picture.   The Pioneer Elite Plasmas are a distant 2nd.

I hope this helps you in any way bro.  

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Best TV
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2004, 04:52:31 PM »
Nicely put Masher.  I concur with that list 99%.  The only one I have not found to be particularly true was the Sony CRT.
If you leave the Sony at its default color temperature setting, then it could be true, but once it is set to the right one for the room, I find the color balance, contrast (they have some of the blackest blacks around), and saturation to be very well balanced.
Now, this is the XBR2 sets I am referring to.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
Best TV
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2004, 04:56:39 PM »
Man, I still just have a '30 Sony Trinitron in the living room, and a old old old 27 inch Zenith in the bedroom. I don't watch much tv anyway.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Best TV
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2004, 05:35:39 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Nicely put Masher.  I concur with that list 99%.  The only one I have not found to be particularly true was the Sony CRT.
If you leave the Sony at its default color temperature setting, then it could be true, but once it is set to the right one for the room, I find the color balance, contrast (they have some of the blackest blacks around), and saturation to be very well balanced.
Now, this is the XBR2 sets I am referring to.

Home Theater is a hobby of mine at 30 years of age.  I have helped buddies out with gear selection, setups, etc.  I might even try to get into HT design.  I have just found that Wega's have Red hues, I should have distinguished between the two (oversight on my part).  I agree with that Skuzzy, and you are most correct.  Grand wega's are a waste of buckshee imo.

Habu, sure you can go to Best Buy or Circuit City, but I am afraid that you will be cheating yourself.  Those two stores ALWAYS hike up Temp settings, Contrst, Color and tint.  In those two stores you WILL NOT get an accurate depiction of what you SHOULD be seeing.  

You should grab a few DVD's, head to a local "High End" electronics store and audition.  50 people on this BBS can tell you the same thing or different things, bottom line it is your money.  My posts do have opinion in them, but, you are the one looking.  You owe it to yourself.  

Back to opinions, goto BB and CC and check out their stuff.  I'll predict right now at BB and CC you prefer the Pioneer (which is good).  Keep in mind of some of the competition it's up against.  Then, try and find a shop near you that has Pioneer Elite and Mitsu's.  They will be night and day from the "Pioneer".  

In terms of black levels, the worst CRT will have a better trnslation of blacks than ANY Plasma, DLP, RPTV.  There is also "play" in that area.  Deep blacks are almost impossible to get.  Even with a $80,000 Runco Front projector with blacked-out windows, etc.

Let me know if this helps you further.

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Best TV
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2004, 05:51:29 PM »
Ahhh,..another HT buff.  I figured you were talking about the regular Wega sets Masher.

HT is a big hobby of mine as well.  My wife is an interior designer and whenever someone wants a theater room, she calls me in to help out.

So, what do you think about the DVD war over how HD should be done?  I think HD-DVD is going to win over Blue.  A shame, but the practicality of HD-DVD being backward compatible with regular DVD players seems to make it the one that will win with the DVD production houses.  I just wonder if the potential sacrifice in quality will cause it to stall in the market.
I hope HDMI becomes standard as well.  Would be nice to have that fat pipe where you can hook your computer to it as well.  Bye-bye 1394 and USB for video work.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Best TV
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2004, 05:55:21 PM »
I just hope there will be a clear winner...and within a reasonable timeframe so we dont get these long wars that only frustrate buyers.