Author Topic: .50 cal gunnery  (Read 3257 times)

Offline Sundog

• Silver Member
.50 cal gunnery
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2000, 09:06:00 PM »
Great post Pyro! I thought they stuck with the .50's just for manufacturing concerns (e.g.-use them everywhere so you can make many, and the ammo is the same everywhere, e.g., logisitics). I agree with the post that stated if you could post some bibliographies on where you get some of this info, it would be greatly appreciated.

As to Pongos post, aren't you refering to the A-36? Which had the 4 cannons. I don't believe the P-51B ever had those, although I'm not absolutely sure. The A-36 was Allison powered, whereas the P-51B had the Merlin. So you would also take a power drop for the A-36. I propose HTC (When they get the time) Model the P-39 instead...or both.   Superfly needs to spend a little extra time to make up for those sick days anyway, right?...hehe..Just Kidding.

Maybe when things slow down a little at HTC HQ, you guys can start a BB group of reference material (Copyright probs?) or at least a good Bibliography list as stated.

Thanks HTC for all these cool timely updates!

[This message has been edited by Sundog (edited 04-01-2000).]

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
.50 cal gunnery
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2000, 09:13:00 PM »
Well, that's all the explanation I need to be convinced. Thanks Pyro, hopefully we can put this gunnery issue to bed once and for all, and get to the other topics of discussion.

------------------
banana
308 (Polish) Squadron RAF "City of Cracow"
"On the whole, it is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them"

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
.50 cal gunnery
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2000, 07:29:00 PM »
I highly recommend the "Report on the Joint Fighter Conference" (title is something like that) currently published by Schiffer.  That is where the discussion about the Navy and Army's view of the .50 and 20mm came from.  It's a great book to read because it gives you a lot of insight into differing opinions from experts.  You see how different pilots may give different opinions on the same aircraft, some of which are diametrically opposed to others.  Pilots flying the same plane can record a large range of data as demonstrated by the range of stall speeds these pilots reported.  It's a very good read, I give it my highest recommendation.

As for good detailed ordnance books, those are hard to come because the good ones are long out of print and rare.  I need to catalog my library at some point and I'll probably publish a bibliography.  If you are planning on purchasing a book that you haven't seen, I'll be happy to give my opinion on it if I have it.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

Perfect plans, aren't.

funked

.50 cal gunnery
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2000, 08:08:00 PM »
Pyro that would be great!

Offline Tern

• Zinc Member
.50 cal gunnery
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2000, 11:52:00 PM »

Originally posted by Hangtime:
Hmmmmmmmmm....  ballistics or damage model. ....Tie that to the damage mapping; and observation data from hitting targets at low AOT with time on target and we may have our culprit... the damage model as noted in the posts above... The results are... the EFFECT of the .50's are undermodeled.  

Full circle??

Hang

Thank you.  

------------------
Tern
"Live to Fly!  Fly to Fight!  Fight to Live!"
========================
"There I was, inverted at 50 feet and 120 kts. and the only thing running was the radio."